Page 1 of 2

Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:24 pm
by Simon Rogers
This has just been announced on the Blackpool Chess Conference website:
"The next tournament has been confirmed to take place 11th to 13th March 2022."
https://www.blackpoolchess.org.uk

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:09 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Given the rather short notice, is it going to be online entry only?

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:30 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:09 pm
Given the rather short notice, is it going to be online entry only?

The website is saying
The entry form can be downloaded when available.
In past years they had a somewhat convoluted method of getting the discounted accommodation rates at the Imperial. You had to book directly with the hotel and reclaim a discount through your Congress entry.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:37 pm
by Roger de Coverly
The website now has an entry form, but not (yet) online entry.

Five sections

Open
under 2050
under 1850
under 1700
under 1550

(edit)
link to online entry
https://www.blackpoolchess.org.uk/index ... entry-2022
(/edit)

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 am
by Eric Gardiner
I'd be interested to know how

"B/ Immediate withdrawal if you show any signs of Covid / cold / flu symptoms.
C/ Temperature gun will be available."

mentioned in the Covid guidance section on the website will be applied. I'd imagine that many will be reluctant to withdraw if for example they get a mild headache once having paid for congress entry, travel and accommodation. In the congresses I've played in since September last year no temperature checks were done (at least I don't recall them being mentioned as a possibility and didn't see any being done!). What criteria have to be met to trigger the temperature gun?

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:58 am
by Brendan O'Gorman
Eric, is there some reason you're not addressing this question to the congress organiser?

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:01 am
by Paul Robert Jackson
Entered online this morning.
Thinking about it, this will the 22nd time I have played at Blackpool.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:13 am
by Tim Spanton
Eric Gardiner wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 am
I'd be interested to know how

"B/ Immediate withdrawal if you show any signs of Covid / cold / flu symptoms.
C/ Temperature gun will be available."

mentioned in the Covid guidance section on the website will be applied. I'd imagine that many will be reluctant to withdraw if for example they get a mild headache once having paid for congress entry, travel and accommodation. In the congresses I've played in since September last year no temperature checks were done (at least I don't recall them being mentioned as a possibility and didn't see any being done!). What criteria have to be met to trigger the temperature gun?
I have seen temperature guns used at congresses in Spain and Czechia. I don't know what temperatures they were looking for, but I do know I never saw anyone caught

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:06 am
by Eric Gardiner
Brendan O'Gorman wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:58 am
Eric, is there some reason you're not addressing this question to the congress organiser?
Yes. I haven't decided whether to enter. I didn't want to email him in case he was dealing with a large number of enquiries. I thought that if someone had already asked him similar questions it would be more efficient to just post back the response to the forum. Or he could read the question himself on the forum and answer it once rather than having to respond to several emails.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:37 am
by Paul Robert Jackson
it's nice to see:

Further possible Lancashire chess events in 2022
Heywood congress June 2022 Bill O’Rourke [email protected]
Leyland Congress August 2022 Dave Clayton [email protected]
Preston Congress Nov/Dec 2022 Malcolm Peacock [email protected]

mentioned on the Blackpool entry form.

Well established, well organised, & professionally run events.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:37 pm
by Simon Rogers
Paul Robert Jackson wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:37 am
it's nice to see:

Further possible Lancashire chess events in 2022
Heywood congress June 2022 Bill O’Rourke [email protected]
Leyland Congress August 2022 Dave Clayton [email protected]
Preston Congress Nov/Dec 2022 Malcolm Peacock [email protected]

mentioned on the Blackpool entry form.

Well established, well organised, & professionally run events.
I've just received a Blackpool Conference entry form in the post today.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:53 pm
by Simon Rogers
I've been informed that my name has appeared on the list of entries today. Danny Gormally has entered. Although for some reason I can't load it on to my phone from the website.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:00 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Simon,
You have to download a pdf listing the entries. At the moment, you are top seed in the u1700 section.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 pm
by Simon Rogers
Brendan O'Gorman wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:00 pm
Simon,
You have to download a pdf listing the entries. At the moment, you are top seed in the u1700 section.
Thanks Brendan. Are you playing yourself?
I believe the forecast is for sunny weather in Blackpool on Saturday and Sunday. Although it might be wet on Friday which is unusual.

Re: Blackpool Chess Conference 2022

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:37 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Yes, I'm very much not top seed in the u2050. As for the weather, I've played in Blackpool before so my expectations are suitably low.