Saint Charbel Ches Cup'23

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
LawrenceCooper

Saint Charbel Ches Cup'23

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm

Dear English Chess Community. I invite international masters and masters of fide to the International tournament of the Saint Charbel cup, which will be held on September 4-10 in Morshyn, Lviv region, Western Ukraine. The main idea of the tournament is to win the title of grandmaster. Participation in the tournament, accommodation and meals in one of the best hotel and health complexes of Ukraine, St. Charbel, are completely free. A mandatory condition for a chess player is that the minimum FIDE rating must be at least 2300. There is a transfer from/to Rzeszów-Morszyn. The following tournament participants are known: Oleksandr Bieliavskyi - Slovenia, Grandmaster, 2486 Vladyslav Bahamatsky - Ukraine, international master, 2458 Kostyantyn Borsuk - Ukraine, international master, 2436 Daniil Mosesov - Ukraine, international master. 2432 Ilmars Stratostits - Latvia, grandmaster, 2400 Volodymyr Sakun - Ukraine, FIDE master, 2370 David Haydon - England, FIDE master. 2230

Sincerely,
Mykola Prystay Organizer of the Saint Charbel Ches Cup'23 [email protected]
https://www.newmorshyn.com/stcharbel-chess-cup-2023

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Saint Charbel Ches Cup'23

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 pm

Is this intended to be an event to show solidarity with Ukraine? You would hope that this small city far in the west of Ukraine would be safe from any Russian military activity (including long-range missiles), but the current Foreign Office notice still (unsurprisingly) advises against all travel by UK nationals to Ukraine:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ukraine

And it is not surprising either that the transfer is via Poland.

On the other hand, it might be the best time if you are rated over 2300 to play in such an event (and get conditions more akin to those for grandmasters) - though not all those listed above are rated over 2300. I guess to get people to play, you need to relax some of the restrictions. Despite my doom-laden tone, I hope the event is a great success.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:09 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 pm
You would hope that this small city far in the west of Ukraine would be safe from any Russian military activity (including long-range missiles),
It seems you spoke too soon.

I saw an advert for a tournament in Kiev a few months ago. The tournament information included directions to the nearest bomb shelter.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:23 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:09 am
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 pm
You would hope that this small city far in the west of Ukraine would be safe from any Russian military activity (including long-range missiles),
It seems you spoke too soon.

I saw an advert for a tournament in Kiev a few months ago. The tournament information included directions to the nearest bomb shelter.
I must admit to reading this thread last night with alarm. Lviv is the supply route from Poland and the Russians have aimed quite a lot of long range stuff through there. I suspect that when the siren goes off the players will know what to do but they are brave souls indeed to be risking their life for a chance of a norm.