e2e4 Uxbridge International : 11th - 15th August 2010

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Uxbridge International : 11th - 15th August 2010

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Round 4 results and games online within 5 minutes of round ending.

PGN download or on screen view available.

Sorry, no paper bulletins!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:23 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Round 4 results and games online within 5 minutes of round ending.

PGN download or on screen view available.

Sorry, no paper bulletins!
The planet thanks you. The electrons curse you! And to stay off-topic, has anyone calculated the environmental impact of chess activities on the internet? Or indeed chess activities in general. Chess carbon footprints!

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 am

I expect the carbon footprint of the 4NCL, Bundesliga, and similar events would put the chess world to shame.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Round 4 results and games online within 5 minutes of round ending.
Impressive! :)

http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... groupA.htm
http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... groupB.htm

What happened in the McNab-Sowray game? There is currently a blank space in the results column for both players, and I presume the game was played yesterday? The Burrows-Lefebvre game result in the Masters B isn't up yet.

The online game viewer says that Sowray beat McNab and LeFebvre beat Burrows.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Impressive! :)

http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... groupA.htm
http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... groupB.htm

What happened in the McNab-Sowray game? There is currently a blank space in the results column for both players, and I presume the game was played yesterday? The Burrows-Lefebvre game result in the Masters B isn't up yet.

The online game viewer says that Sowray beat McNab and LeFebvre beat Burrows.
Those two games didn't finish until 9.30pm and I had an urgent appointment with my good friend Mr A Curry that I couldn't miss :-)

They're up now.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Great quote from Loz Cooper earlier.

Having struggled with an undecipherable scoresheet for ages he finally came up with "a logical sequence of moves that didn't lose material". I did point out that he was supposed to put in the moves actually played, but I let it pass.

Later on, one of the players came in and we asked him to check Loz's input. It turned out that Loz had got some moves wrong earlier on.

As the player left, Loz was heard to comment "I still think my sequence of moves made more sense!"

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:21 pm

And IM Graeme Buckley beat GM Simon Williams in the last round winner-takes-all clash to take first place with an undefeated 7.5/9 and a TPR of 2538. That's a fantastic performance. Peter Poobalasingam drew with both GMs and finished 5/5 (after a start of 1/4) to finish on 6/9 and third place, which also looks good. Did anyone get any norms at this tournament?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:And IM Graeme Buckley beat GM Simon Williams in the last round winner-takes-all clash to take first place with an undefeated 7.5/9 and a TPR of 2538. That's a fantastic performance. Peter Poobalasingam drew with both GMs and finished 5/5 (after a start of 1/4) to finish on 6/9 and third place, which also looks good. Did anyone get any norms at this tournament?
From what you've said there, I assume Buckley got a GM norm, as long as the average rating of his opponents was over 2380...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:58 pm

A GM norm is a 2600 performance

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 am

Oh, I thought it was 2500. 2600 seems very high...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:03 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:And IM Graeme Buckley beat GM Simon Williams in the last round winner-takes-all clash to take first place with an undefeated 7.5/9 and a TPR of 2538. That's a fantastic performance. Peter Poobalasingam drew with both GMs and finished 5/5 (after a start of 1/4) to finish on 6/9 and third place, which also looks good. Did anyone get any norms at this tournament?
From what you've said there, I assume Buckley got a GM norm, as long as the average rating of his opponents was over 2380...
Dunno. I wouldn't have thought it was enough. I've looked back through this thread, but though the first post said "The Masters event offers players (rated 2100+) the opportunity of 9 extremely competitive games of chess with the the chance to secure that all important norm", I can't find any details of what the norm requirements were in the Masters A and B sections, which is slightly strange as when you have an all-play-all, you can calculate that before the tournament starts. There were only two GMs though, so maybe only IM norms were possible? Anyone know what the requirement for an IM norm was in both Masters sections? In the Masters B tournament, GM Rausis got 8/9 and drew in the last round with Arkell - I wonder how many moves that was! :)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:33 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I can't find any details of what the norm requirements were in the Masters A and B sections, which is slightly strange as when you have an all-play-all, you can calculate that before the tournament starts.
I've no doubt that the information will have been made available to the players at the event. Even Sean Hewitt occasionally has other things to do besides posting in this Forum.

As far as I can tell from the Tournament Performance Ratings on the e2e4 website, no norms were obtained. That shouldn't detract from some excellent performances.

There was never any question of GM norms being available, nor was it ever suggested that they might be. Apart from other considerations, you need at least three GMs in a tournament for a GM norm to be a possibility.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:39 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I can't find any details of what the norm requirements were in the Masters A and B sections, which is slightly strange as when you have an all-play-all, you can calculate that before the tournament starts.
I've no doubt that the information will have been made available to the players at the event. Even Sean Hewitt occasionally has other things to do besides posting in this Forum.

As far as I can tell from the Tournament Performance Ratings on the e2e4 website, no norms were obtained. That shouldn't detract from some excellent performances.

There was never any question of GM norms being available, nor was it ever suggested that they might be. Apart from other considerations, you need at least three GMs in a tournament for a GM norm to be a possibility.
Indeed, which is why I didn't ask the question (Alex did), and I pointed out there were only two GMs! :) I would still be interested in what the IM/WIM norm requirements were, though, in both Masters sections and the Women's event. And I wasn't suggesting that the information should have been posted here. The logical place would have been on the tournament website.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:43 am

I think all the IM norms were 7/9 (including WIM norms).

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I think all the IM norms were 7/9 (including WIM norms).
Thanks (and hi, Matt!). Is there such a thing as an FM/WFM norm? Or do you only need rating and this £80 now to be an FM?