Mind Sports Olympiad; 21st - 30th August, 2010

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
John Upham

Mind Sports Olympiad; 21st - 30th August, 2010

Post by John Upham » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 am

http://boardability.com/

is on the 21st - 30th August, 2010 at the Soho Theatre, London, England. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Re: Mind Sports Olympiad; 21st - 30th August, 2010

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:37 pm

The event includes a Chess960 tournament on Tuesday 24th August.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:21 am

David Sedgwick wrote:The event includes a Chess960 tournament on Tuesday 24th August.
I've been reading about that, and I'd quite like to try that form of chess. I'm slightly worried that I might not remember how to castle though...

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

The event includes a Chess960 tournament on Tuesday 24th August.

I've been reading about that, and I'd quite like to try that form of chess. I'm slightly worried that I might not remember how to castle though...

Move the king to its normal destination square (but nearer to you if necessary, e.g. the rook is in the way), then move the rook to its normal destination square, and adjust the king. Usual rules about king and appropriate rook must not have moved apply, and there can't be anything in the way etc.

So if you have R on e1 and g1, and K on f1, you castle queenside by moving the K to c1, and the e1 R to d1. (In this case you can still castle if there are pieces on a1 and b1.) Castle kingside by putting K on g0, move g1 R to f1, then put K on g1.

I had one game where the rooks where on a1 and f1, and the king was on b1, so castles Kingside was Kb1-g1.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:19 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:The event includes a Chess960 tournament on Tuesday 24th August.

Move the king to its normal destination square (but nearer to you if necessary, e.g. the rook is in the way), then move the rook to its normal destination square, and adjust the king. Usual rules about king and appropriate rook must not have moved apply, and there can't be anything in the way etc.

So if you have R on e1 and g1, and K on f1, you castle queenside by moving the K to c1, and the e1 R to d1. (In this case you can still castle if there are pieces on a1 and b1.) Castle kingside by putting K on g0, move g1 R to f1, then put K on g1.

I had one game where the rooks where on a1 and f1, and the king was on b1, so castles Kingside was Kb1-g1.
Yeah, but it would be so embarrassing if your opponent said you had castled wrongly. You'd feel such an idiot! Almost as bad as if you objected to your opponent's castling and turned out to be wrong. :lol:

I noticed a thread elsewhere about some weird variant ("Future Chess") where the king has an extra sanctuary square in the corner. That looks interesting as well, but I don't think it will catch on.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:18 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Yeah, but it would be so embarrassing if your opponent said you had castled wrongly. You'd feel such an idiot! Almost as bad as if you objected to your opponent's castling and turned out to be wrong. :lol:
At the MSO, that sort of thing happens quite a lot. We often play games with which most players are previously unfamiliar and illegal moves are common. It's much less embarrassing than you fear.

That's one reason why I thought the MSO would be a good place to have a Chess960 event.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 am

I might play in the blitz (or rapidplay) event if there is one this year but the timetable doesn't have any details of what time controls are being played. Does anyone here have more information? According to the timetable the chess event is happening tomorrow at 10:30 and 14:30.

Cheers,
Justin