e2e4 Sunningdale Congress : 27th - 30th May 2011

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sean Hewitt

e2e4 Sunningdale Congress : 27th - 30th May 2011

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm

The Sunningdale Congress will again take place over the late May bank holiday weekend of Friday 27th to Monday 30th May 2011 ~ offering players the unusual experience of a 7 round tournament within the UK.

Following last years continued success the event will take place atr the same venue De Veres Sunningdale Hotel, Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5 0QE which is easily accessible by train from London and the South East as well as from both the M25 and M3 motorways.

We again have three sections which cater for all standards of player. The Open is FIDE rated (and ECF graded) as is the Major (open to players rated below 2000 or unrated players graded below 170) and the Minor (U140) will be ECF graded.

The Open is of course a British Championship Qualifier, and all points scored contribute towards the e2e4 Grand Prix

There is a hefty discounted entry for those players staying at the venue and with a good prize fund on offer and discounted accommodation for chess players of £46 B&B per night for single occupancy or £31 pppn double occupancy there should be something for all players.

To book a room email [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you at Sunnigdale for a great bank holiday event!

Part of the e2e4 Grand Prix
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Sunningdale Congress : 27th - 30th May 2011

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm

We are on course for a record entry at Sunningdale which starts in just 3 weeks time. We have managed to secure extra playing space so if you want to play we should be able to accommodate you.

However, hotel rooms are fast selling out so if you want to play and stay, you would be well advised to enter as soon as you can.

www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu May 12, 2011 1:38 pm

There are now just 4 hotel rooms left for the Saturday night and I expect that these will sell today. They are first come first served and when they are gone they are gone so if you want a room I suggest that you enter now!

www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 18, 2011 8:20 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:There are now just 4 hotel rooms left for the Saturday night and I expect that these will sell today. They are first come first served and when they are gone they are gone so if you want a room I suggest that you enter now!

http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale
And the e2e4 website now says that no rooms are available on the Saturday. Clearly I went on holiday at the wrong time. I had been intending to enter this tournament (and book at the hotel) when I got back (though doing that nine days beforehand was always going to be pushing it), but will now have to just enter the tournament instead and travel home each night rather than fork out for the hotel room (which will save the pennies). I presume not all the rooms at the hotel are taken by chess players, as at previous events there have been others staying there? And I miss out on the hotel guest discount on the entry fee as well! :roll: And the breakfast! :shock:

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I presume not all the rooms at the hotel are taken by chess players, as at previous events there have been others staying there?
Correct, we take about 70 rooms. We would take more (I've already turned away at least 6 potential stayers) if the hotel could accommodate us.

You can still stay on the Friday and / or Sunday night though if you wish.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I presume not all the rooms at the hotel are taken by chess players, as at previous events there have been others staying there?
Correct, we take about 70 rooms. We would take more (I've already turned away at least 6 potential stayers) if the hotel could accommodate us.

You can still stay on the Friday and / or Sunday night though if you wish.
Thanks, but probably not this time (it's a good opportunity to see if traveling by train will work or not - I am only 40 minutes away by train, so I really only stay at the venue if I can afford it). I'm still trying to work out how much more it costs to stay at the venue compared to travelling there each day. There is a difference, but less than I thought. It is the distance between the train station and the venue that is the annoying bit. Is the shuttle service only for those staying at the venue?

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks, but probably not this time (it's a good opportunity to see if traveling by train will work or not - I am only 40 minutes away by train, so I really only stay at the venue if I can afford it). I'm still trying to work out how much more it costs to stay at the venue compared to travelling there each day. There is a difference, but less than I thought. It is the distance between the train station and the venue that is the annoying bit. Is the shuttle service only for those staying at the venue?[/quote]

Wouldnt have thought there would be too much trouble arranging a lift . For instance....my fee would equate to 1 pint of beer per return trip :)

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Wed May 18, 2011 1:33 pm

David
I would be happy to drop you at the station on an evening provided I am around and have not taken a early bath , just catch me at the event and make yourself known. I am sure you could "cadge a lift" ,off others to get from the station to the hotel. Not sure where you live but I am travelling in daily from Early so if you live near there you can a a lift!

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the offer Paul...but not for the first time...Ive made myself unclear :)
Im offering my services as a taxi.....I dont need a lift myself !

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 24, 2011 9:18 am

Due to the volcanic ash cloud, we have had a room cancellation at Sunningdale. It's for 3 nights (Fri / Sat / Sun) and is a double - although it can be taken as a single or a double.

First to pm or email me ([email protected]) gets it.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 am

The room has now been taken. Thanks.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 am

Colours in round 1 will be determined by the toss in the 1st Test Match between England and Sri Lanka being played Thursday 26th May. If England win the toss, then the top seed in each section will be white. If Sri Lanka win the toss, then the top seed will be black in round 1.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 26, 2011 8:56 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Colours in round 1 will be determined by the toss in the 1st Test Match between England and Sri Lanka being played Thursday 26th May. If England win the toss, then the top seed in each section will be white. If Sri Lanka win the toss, then the top seed will be black in round 1.
Apparently it's going to rain in Cardiff today. I hope they're out there long enough to have the coin toss!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Colours in round 1 will be determined by the toss in the 1st Test Match between England and Sri Lanka being played Thursday 26th May. If England win the toss, then the top seed in each section will be white. If Sri Lanka win the toss, then the top seed will be black in round 1.
Apparently it's going to rain in Cardiff today. I hope they're out there long enough to have the coin toss!
Otherwise he may have to locate some other tossers to determine colours :shock:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Sri Lanka have won the toss at Cardiff

No play yet due to rain, although fortunately weather was OK at the Rose Bowl for the relatively short time it took Lancs to win - anyone know the weather forecast for Durham on Sunday?
Any postings on here represent my personal views