Leek Congress...a Staffordshire gem. And more...!!

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Pardoe

Leek Congress...a Staffordshire gem. And more...!!

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Now with a `stars barred` Open & ECF British Qualifier.. for players graded U220....!!
At Westwood College, Leek ST13 8NP...and again held under the watchful experienced gaze of Mssrs Edwards, Email: [email protected], Welch, & Milner.....(Congress Director). Tel 01782-550112, before 9pm please.
Details on ECF Calander..... http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=3337 9th - 11th Sept...
Sections for all grades of players.....beginner to expert....
A great event to begin the new season, after that summer break..

And dont forget the Manchester Congress this weekend.....see http://www.manchesterchessfederation.co.uk/page2.html

Tell/email your fellow chess contacts about both these events..
And for Northern players..dont forget the 4NCL Northern League, which kicks off its second season later in October.. Some great venues, and they are keen to hear from anyone considering entering a team....
Its for teams of 6 players (covering a broad grading range from circa 225 down to circa 145..) and there`s more details on the 4NCL website.. Click on relevant links for more details. http://www.4ncl.co.uk/ One or two new teams would be greatly appreciated...
Players interested in joining existing teams should contact relevant captains...Manchester would certainly welcome additional players, as would others....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Re: Leek Congress...a Staffordshire gem. And more...!!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm perplexed as to why these to events clash with one another; it's not like there's a great swathe of congresses around the Midlands at this time of year. :roll:
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

When I set the dates for this weekends Manchester congress, I was conscious of Leyland last weekend and Leek the following weekend, but then the chess calendar is packed
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:When I set the dates for this weekends Manchester congress, I was conscious of Leyland last weekend and Leek the following weekend, but then the chess calendar is packed
Which is sensible. Having two tournaments roughly equidistant from the second-biggest centre of population in England, on the same weekend, seems less sensible. While one is a FIDE-rated event and the other a Rapidplay, I know for a fact that both are losing entries to one another based on conversations I've had with local players. It just seems such a shame...