JUNIOR 4NCL

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Mike Truran

JUNIOR 4NCL

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:03 am

The Junior 4NCL entry form can now be found on the 4NCL website www.4ncl.co.uk .

The weekends will be at Barcelo Hinckley Island Hotel on the following dates:

1. 26th - 27th November 2011
2. 21st - 22nd January 2012
3. 3rd - 4th March 2012

Free group and individual chess tuition between rounds!

Mike Truran

Re: JUNIOR 4NCL

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 pm

The third and final Junior 4NCL weekend of this season takes place on 3 and 4 March at Barcelo Hinckley Island. We welcome entries from teams who have not entered so far, but would like to try out the Junior 4NCL's offering of competitive chess and professional coaching for a single weekend. The entry fee for this weekend is significantly discounted compared with the full season fee. The entry form can be found on the ECF website tournament calendar www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=4651. If you do decide to enter, please book your bedrooms early as our bedroom allocation gets released soon!

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The third and final Junior 4NCL weekend of this season takes place on 3 and 4 March at Barcelo Hinckley Island. We welcome entries from teams who have not entered so far, but would like to try out the Junior 4NCL's offering of competitive chess and professional coaching for a single weekend. The entry fee for this weekend is significantly discounted compared with the full season fee. The entry form can be found on the ECF website tournament calendar http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=4651. If you do decide to enter, please book your bedrooms early as our bedroom allocation gets released soon!
Is it really necessary to post copies of the exact same message in three different sections of the forum?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm

On the other hand, why not? Its only intention was to catch different readers of different areas of the forum. I don't really see what harm it does, and if it reaches only one person who may not have seen it elsewhere and is encouraged to enter a team its purpose will have been served. And as has been said so often, nobody has to read stuff they don't want to.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Mike Truran wrote:On the other hand, why not? Its only intention was to catch different readers of different areas of the forum. I don't really see what harm it does, and if it reaches only one person who may not have seen it elsewhere and is encouraged to enter a team its purpose will have been served. And as has been said so often, nobody has to read stuff they don't want to.
I use regularly the "View new posts" link on the forum to see at a glance what's new that I might be interested in, your message was listed three times.
Not a big deal if just one person does it once in a while, but if everyone starts doing that it would be really bad, the forum equivalent of email spam.

In addition, if someone has a valid question or a remark on your message that might be of interest to everyone reading your message, but that person only replies to one of your messages, people reading the other messages would miss that reply. Having three threads from the same topic (same intial message) is bad.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, I guess we'll probably need to disagree. Anyway, given some of the other repetitive dross the forum gets cluttered up with though I wouldn't have thought my modest (and relatively infrequent) repetitions would have been particularly high on your hit list!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Mike,
I think that Paolo was trying to be helpful. If you are interested in the Junior 4NCL then I think most people would go to the top reference, thereby possible missing something important on an alternative thread. If you keep to one thread at a time (in my opinion) it makes it easier for everybody.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Well, I guess we'll probably need to disagree. Anyway, given some of the other repetitive dross the forum gets cluttered up with though I wouldn't have thought my modest (and relatively infrequent) repetitions would have been particularly high on your hit list!
I see both points however I tend towards what Paolo has suggested

How many people jump into a specific bookmarked link rather than visit the forum in general plus I suspect Google ranks the repetition slightly lower than the single case?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard