4th Worcestershire Open, 21-22 July 2012

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Andrew Farthing

4th Worcestershire Open, 21-22 July 2012

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 pm

The 4th Worcestershire Open Chess Congress will take place on the weekend of 21-22 July 2012. It will be a 5-round standard play event, with four sections (Open, U160, U135 and U115). Top prize is £200 in the Open and £100 in each of the other sections. The rate of play will be 35 moves in 90 minutes, followed by a further 15 minutes to conclude the game.

The venue is the same as for the last two years: the Conference Centre at the University of Worcester, St John's Campus, Henwick Grove, Worcester, WR2 6AJ. The University has plenty of on-campus parking, for which there is a small charge (£1 last year). Refreshments - sandwiches, baguettes, panini, drinks and other light refreshments - will be available from the on-campus Costa Coffee outlet.

Congress equipment is being supplied by CCF Mindgames Ltd, who will also be running their usual excellent bookstall (new and secondhand). I'd like to thank John and Chris Constable for once again supporting the event.

An entry form can be downloaded via the ECF Tournament Calendar at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=11324, where you will also find my contact details.

As well as providing what we hope will be an enjoyable congress, the organisers have once again chosen a local charity to support with the profits from the event. This year's designated charity is the St Richard's Hospice in Worcester (Charity no. 515668), which each year provides free care for around 2,200 patients and family members in Worcestershire who are living with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.

Last year, an increased entry and the generosity of the players - many of whom included a donation with their entry - meant that we were able to present the designated charity, Age Concern Sandwell, with a cheque for a magnificent £650. On behalf of the organisers, I'd like once again to thank everyone who took part for making this happen, and I hope that as many people as possible will join us this year in trying to do even better!

Michele Clack

Re: 4th Worcestershire Open, 21-22 July 2012

Post by Michele Clack » Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Can't believe this is coming round already. Is there a list of entrants to date anywhere?

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 pm

michele clack wrote:Can't believe this is coming round already. Is there a list of entrants to date anywhere?
There is now a list of entrants to date online at http://www.raycollett.net/congress/entrants.htm. I'll aim to update this about once a week, possibly more frequently during the final couple of weeks before the congress.

Encouragingly, numbers are about 50% up on this stage last year, but with nearly seven weeks still to go, it's very early days yet. Last year, we ended up with 114 entries, which helped to fund a donation of £650 to the designated charity. Those who have entered so far have again proved very generous, with just over half including a donation with their entry. I hope that these are positive signs that we'll again be able to make a healthy donation to this year's charity, the St Richard's Hospice in Worcester (Registered Charity no. 515668).

The main congress website, including downloadable entry form, is at http://www.raycollett.net/congress/index.htm.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks Andrew. It's always interesting to see who has entered.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 pm

With just over three weeks to go, we're up to 52 entries, which is ahead of this stage last year. This is potentially excellent news for the designated charity, St Richard's Hospice, Worcester. If we can beat last year's 110 entries, the donation to the charity should be bigger, and the scope to add grading prizes is increased.

Congress details, including a downloadable entry form, are available at http://www.raycollett.net/congress/index.htm.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

75 entries so far, split as follows: Open 16; Major (U160) 21; Intermediate (U135) 17; and Minor (U115) 21.

If you'd like to enter, you can avoid a £2 late fee by getting your entry to me by Tuesday, 17th July. We don't accept entries on the day, I'm afraid, and entries on Friday 20th July will be subject to a £5 late fee.

If you're not an ECF member but are thinking of becoming one, now would be a good time to take advantage of the ECF's '14 months for the price of 12' offer, since this will entitle you to a £2 ECF member discount on your entry fee.