e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Sean Hewitt .. I will not descend to your depths and try and 'score points' by starting a petty argument when there was no need to have one.

Apart from the first paragraph of you answer, you gave fair enough reasons for your actions, so I really do not know why you felt the need to "have a dig" instead of just giving a sensible answer - perhaps you can't distinguish between constructive comments and others that might be unwarranted criticism ?

As I said in my post, I was not being critical of the arrangements, I was merely asking for clarification before the event of how prizes will be paid so that the entrants were aware of it - what is wrong in that ?

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Alan Burke wrote:I was merely asking for clarification before the event of how prizes will be paid so that the entrants were aware of it - what is wrong in that ?
No you weren't. You said
Alan Burke wrote:the organisers wish to have your bank details so they can forward any winnings direct into your account
which is completely untrue. I don't want to have anyone's bank details. Players have a choice of ways to get paid. Most choose bank transfer, but they are free to choose other methods that don't involve divulging bank details. I look forward to receiving your apology.
Alan Burke wrote: I really do not know why you felt the need to "have a dig"
Because, not for the first time, you've stated something as 'fact' that was completely and utterly untrue. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:16 pm

If all the above makes you feel better than all well and good and if you want an apology that you can have one - but do I get one from you for swearing at me at Sheffield last year when you were found to have an electronic device (which you say was an MP3 player) on inside the playing hall and then lied by saying it was switched off when it most certainly wasn't ?

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Sean Hewitt .. I will not descend to your depths and try and 'score points' by starting a petty argument when there was no need to have one.
is followed up almost immediately by
Alan Burke wrote:If all the above makes you feel better than all well and good and if you want an apology that you can have one - but do I get one from you for swearing at me at Sheffield last year when you were found to have an electronic device (which you say was an MP3 player) on inside the playing hall and then lied by saying it was switched off when it most certainly wasn't ?
You really are a plonker! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't care whether you apologise or not. You showing yourself up is satisfaction enough.

The great thing about Sheffield was it was an MP3 player, not a phone as wrongly claimed. I said 'it's off' not 'piss off' as wrongly claimed. And spectator are completely wrong to get involved matters like this at all. But the best thing was that wasn't until Gatwick in October that I found out that the moronic spectator who approached me in Sheffield was you. Oh how we laughed when that gem was revealed. 'cos you just can't help meddling in things that don't concern you. Hopefully that answers your question as to why I felt the need to 'have a dig'. :D

Trying to avoid such pleasantries in future; how about we say that when I'm interested in your opinion, I'll as you for it? :lol:
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm

So people, Sean Hewitt asks for an apology which is given but then feels unable to respond in similar fashion for an error of his ways. He will of course deny any such foul-mouthed abuse and yes, I have no witnesses to prove it, but we both know what was actually said.

However, note that, despite all his words of trying to decry myself, he does not deny that he had an electronic device switched on inside the playing hall at last year's British Championships. Actually, in his above post he says his comment at the time was "It's off", which proves what a liar he is as the device was certainly still in use.

All I did in my original post on here was to try and ask for the payments methods at his congresses to be made more clearer prior to the tournaments yet it seems he is unable to take onboard any well-meaning comments without feeling his "power" is being undermined.

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Alan Burke wrote:However, note that, despite all his words of trying to decry myself, he does not deny that he had an electronic device switched on inside the playing hall at last year's British Championships.
For absolute clarity, oh yes I do. Actually, there is no rule against having an MP3 on. An arbiter would have known that but a spectator sticking his nose it probably wouldn't.
Alan Burke wrote:Actually, in his above post he says his comment at the time was "It's off", which proves what a lair he is as the device was certainly still in use.
It does not prove that I'm a lair - or a liar for that mater. It does prove that you don't know the difference between a device being on or off. Mind you, you don't know the difference between a phone and an MP3 player so we probably shouldn't be surprised by that. :D
Alan Burke wrote:All I did in my original post on here was to try and ask for the payments methods at his congresses to be made more clearer prior to the tournaments
That's untrue. What you actually did was make a completely false accusation, namely
Alan Burke wrote:the organisers wish to have your bank details
Alan Burke wrote:he is unable to take onboard any well-meaning comments without feeling his "power" is being undermined.
I don't suffer fools gladly and that means that I have no time for you. I have no interest in your comments so keep them to yourself in future, or share them with someone who is interested in what you have to say. If you can find such a person that is. :lol:

Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm

In the above post, Sean Hewitt states ... "there is no rule against having an MP3 on. An arbiter would have known that ..."

However, regarding MP3 players inside a playing hall, I will refer you back to an answer by Alex McFarlane in a previous thread when such an issue was discussed ... "It applies to any communication device. A player, for instance, could have recorded opening lines. A spectator could be passing on such info."

Now that's the answer from a well-respected and totally-knowledgeable arbiter who really does know the rules. I suppose that's why some football referees are in the Premiership whilst others still languish in the minor leagues.

It's OK, no need to apologise.

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Can I apologise?

I'd like to apologise to anyone outside chess having the unfortunate experience of reading such crap.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5755
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Now that's the answer from a well-respected and totally-knowledgeable arbiter who really does know the rules. I suppose that's why some football referees are in the Premiership whilst others still languish in the minor leagues.
I have decided to ignore your PM as to be honest I agree with Sean you really are hard work Alan :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Alan Burke wrote:In the above post, Sean Hewitt states ... "there is no rule against having an MP3 on. An arbiter would have known that ..."

However, regarding MP3 players inside a playing hall, I will refer you back to an answer by Alex McFarlane in a previous thread when such an issue was discussed ... "It applies to any communication device. A player, for instance, could have recorded opening lines. A spectator could be passing on such info."

Now that's the answer from a well-respected and totally-knowledgeable arbiter who really does know the rules. I suppose that's why some football referees are in the Premiership whilst others still languish in the minor leagues.

It's OK, no need to apologise.
Sweet Jesus.

Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm

You can curse as much as you want.. but I note you don't disagree with the Alex's ruling which completely undermines your previous comment.

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Alan Burke wrote:You can curse as much as you want.. but I note you don't disagree with the Alex's ruling which completely undermines your previous comment.
If Alex said that then he is mistaken - an MP3 player is not a communication device. But that's not your issue. You just can't help being an interfering busy body. We all know the sort.

I didn't comment because I was trying to bring things to an end but you don't want that. I am not going to respond to you any more, no matter how much you try to goad. I'm sure you'll be able to have an argument with yourself though. :lol:

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18209
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: Alex is mistaken - an MP3 player is not a communication device
I would have thought arbiters would wish to disallow spectators and particularly players from having them active. The "source of noise" prohibition is a place to start. Their technological forebear was the Walkman and similar devices. As far as I recall, some thirty years ago, it was established that players shouldn't use them during games. Basman tapes were more commonplace then, but there's no particular reason why something similar could not be loaded to an MP3 player.

I'd agree that I don't think spectators have any particular rights to object to another spectator's behaviour.

Alan Burke

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Just to put the matter straight, at Sheffield I didn't just take it upon myself but was actually asked by an official of the ECF if I could assist in ensuring that anyone entering the playing hall did not have any such devices switched on - so to quote Sean Hewitt himself .. "I do wish that people would bother to get their facts right before posting stuff like this. It really would be most helpful."

And to again quite Alex McF from an earlier thread ... "one of the major problems with society today is that too many people just stand back and let things happen because they don't see it as their job. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" my old granny used to say. Everyone is responsible for upholding Laws ..."

As Alex also stated in his previous thread, certain openings could have been recorded onto an MP3 player and a spectator could then listen to them and relate them to a player. Therefore it might not be a direct person to person communication device but it could still be used to give outside information to a player - although it seems that at e2e4 congresses there won't be any objection to them being switched on inside their playing halls.

Mark Josse
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: e2e4 Buxton Congress : 29 June - 1 July 2012

Post by Mark Josse » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Going back to the hotel room debate i am sorry to hear that people had rooms cancelled but as has been posted if you book outside of the e2e4 provisions then there is always a possibility that things could go wrong. I have played in many of the events run by Sean and on each occasion i have booked outside of the e2e4 website but still been lucky enough to claim a good chess discount,. Most of the hotels are more than happy to extend the e2e4 discount to a private agreement but you have to accept you are on your own in your dealings with them I only had one problem some years ago at Brighton and the Hotel sorted out alternative accommodation and i resolved the problem with them directly. I know it is an awful experience to have a room cancelled at short notice but Sean has worked really hard on running events in the UK and okay there seems to have been some problems with the Hotel this time round but i would like to point to the track record of e2e4 which is excellent .
Many promising young players have the opportunity to seek norms and titles as a result of these events and whatever the problems with regards this hotel and some of the booking lets not forget how much e2e4 chess has enhanced tournament chess.
Keep up the good work Sean !

Post Reply