Richmond Rapidplay 101

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sabrina Chevannes

Richmond Rapidplay 101

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 am

Dear All

The 101st Richmond Rapidplay will be taking place on Sunday 20th May 2012 at The White House, Hampton - the usual venue.

The tournament will now be rapidplay FIDE-rated in the top two sections. I believe that for now, you do not need to be a member of the ECF in order to play in the tournament. Therefore it will not affect anyone's entries.

The online entry form can be found here: http://www.chevanneschessacademy.com/ch ... er-online/. Postal entries will still be accepted and also email entries to [email protected]

The entry form is attached to this post.

I look forward to seeing you next Sunday!

Sabrina
Attachments
RR101.pdf
(271.79 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Roger de Coverly

Re: Richmond Rapidplay 101

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote: I believe that for now, you do not need to be a member of the ECF in order to play in the tournament. Therefore it will not affect anyone's entries.
You may think you have a exemption from the general requirement, but other similar events such as Golders Green and Imperial College have felt obliged to demand ECF membership and I'm not aware of any publicised relaxation. Players with FIDE ratings, not currently active, taking part in the Richmond event risk having their "standard" rating trashed. Unless the ECF have reversed their policy.

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Sat May 12, 2012 9:10 am

I have entered already!

Is there already or going to be a page to show your entries?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 12, 2012 10:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sabrina Chevannes wrote: I believe that for now, you do not need to be a member of the ECF in order to play in the tournament. Therefore it will not affect anyone's entries.
You may think you have a exemption from the general requirement, but other similar events such as Golders Green and Imperial College have felt obliged to demand ECF membership and I'm not aware of any publicised relaxation. Players with FIDE ratings, not currently active, taking part in the Richmond event risk having their "standard" rating trashed. Unless the ECF have reversed their policy.
Players with FIDE ratings, not currently active, taking part in the Richmond event DON'T risk having their "standard" rating trashed.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 10:41 am

LawrenceCooper wrote: Players with FIDE ratings, not currently active, taking part in the Richmond event DON'T risk having their "standard" rating trashed.
So has the policy of requiring individuals to take out "Gold" membership to take part in a FIDE rated Rapid-Play and by implication to appear on the FIDE Rapid list been abandoned?

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 am

I did take advice from the International Ratings Officer on this first!

Yes, Kishan, the list of entries will be up this weekend!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 11:05 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:I did take advice from the International Ratings Officer on this first!
Golders Green continue to say
Since February 2012 the Open and Major sections are also rated by FIDE in their rapidplay list, and you have to be a member of the ECF to take part in either section[/code]

A tournament organiser expects more entries by not having a membership requirement. Who'd have thought it?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 12, 2012 11:11 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: Players with FIDE ratings, not currently active, taking part in the Richmond event DON'T risk having their "standard" rating trashed.
So has the policy of requiring individuals to take out "Gold" membership to take part in a FIDE rated Rapid-Play and by implication to appear on the FIDE Rapid list been abandoned?
The new membership scheme has yet to be introduced so whilst players are encouraged to be a member there is as yet no compulsion. The same approach is in operation at the rapidplays at the British. Other organisers are free to run their events as they wish and some are preparing themselves for the new membership scheme, which they are entitled to do.

I would like to reassure anyone playing at Richmond in May that none of the actions suggested by Roger will occur and that Sabrina asked me before deciding if to have the events FIDE rated.

I wish her well with her first rapidplay and hope players will support this and her many other events in the future.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
The new membership scheme has yet to be introduced so whilst players are encouraged to be a member there is as yet no compulsion.
That's a change of practice from earlier in the year, when it became apparent that the policy was that for a FIDE rated blitz, you didn't need to be a member, but for a FIDE rated rapid play you did. Or at least that was the impression conveyed by ECF officers and directors.

This thread for instance
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4020
and this one
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3779

(edit)
The ECF website still says
It is an ECF requirement that all English-registered players in FIDE-rated events must be ECF members at either GOLD or PLATINUM level.

If English-registered players participate who are not Gold or Platinum members, they shall be de-registered from the FIDE rating list.
No distinction is made between normal and rapid-play. So if the Richmond series is to continue with being FIDE rated, from September it will need to demand Gold status from its entrants. Other similar events will "only" have to charge £ 6 extra for non Congress members.

It would be a welcome development if the ECF withdrew its membership requirement and de-registration threats to players. If the £ 6 per non member concession is given to domestic events, why is it not desired to offer the same to FIDE rated ones? Now that FIDE rating can be extended to weekend tournaments, rapid-plays and blitz, the distinctions between a rated and non-rated event get blurred.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat May 12, 2012 11:56 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:That's a change of practice from earlier in the year, when it became apparent that the policy was that for a FIDE rated blitz, you didn't need to be a member, but for a FIDE rated rapid play you did. Or at least that was the impression conveyed by ECF officers and directors.
Indeed. I suspect that this was the opinion of the relevant Director at the time, rather than official ECF policy - I don't recall the matter ever being considered by or reported to council.

Perhaps the fact that my motion at the last council meeting resulted in a change of Director responsible for International Rating has something to do with the new stance.

I have to say that I agree with Loz's interim approach. What will need to be considered very shortly is whether FIDE rated rapidplays will require Gold or Silver membership post September. I think the Gold requirement was intended to apply to standard play FIDE rated events but, as written, would also apply to rapidplay and blitz. I doubt that was the intention but these things happen in transitional phases such as this.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:What will need to be considered very shortly is whether FIDE rated rapidplays will require Gold or Silver membership post September. I think the Gold requirement was intended to apply to standard play FIDE rated events but, as written, would also apply to rapidplay and blitz. I doubt that was the intention but these things happen in transitional phases such as this.
There might be a case for charging more than Gold membership for FIDE rated rapidplay and blitz, otherwise the ECF could end up losing money on the deal.

The premium for playing FIDE rated chess is £9 per annum, out of which the ECF has to pay €1 FIDE registration fee and £1.50 per swiss/team event (according to the ECF website) that the player takes part in. That means the ECF can afford 5 events per player per annum before it loses money. I should think very few players play more than 5 FIDE rated standard play events in England each year.

I should think there are quite a few players who play more than 5 rapidplay and blitz events per annum. When FIDE start charging rating fees for these events the ECF could easily be out-of-pocket (even if the (as yet unannounced?) rating fee for these events is lower than for standard play).
Last edited by Ian Thompson on Sat May 12, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:The premium for playing FIDE rated chess is £9 per annum, out of which the ECF has to pay €1 FIDE registration fee and £1.50 per swiss/team event that the player takes part in.

from http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... w=category
Swiss Tournaments: Number of players multiplied by 1 Euro
Team Tournaments: 1 Euro per player, no maximum

So 1 Euro per tournament per player. Or is it 1 Euro per player per six months regardless of the tournament count? The wording is a bit ambiguous.
Ian Thompson wrote: I should think very few players play more than 5 FIDE rated standard play events in England each year.

e2e4 regulars would be likely to play at least that or more.

Still if the ECF has a pig-headed refusal to match revenues to expenditure, what can players do about it?

(edit) £ 1.50 is the charge made by the ECF to the tournament rather than by FIDE to the ECF. In a rare current example of matching income to expenditure, the excess over the FIDE charge helps finance the office of IRO . General reasoning also suggests that the more events that are run, the more has to be done by the IRO.(/edit)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 pm

It is a shame that a new thread from an organiser running her first Richmond rapidplay has become bogged down in membership debate.

I would like to wish her well with the event and hope that many of you are able to support both this and the e2e4 Amersham next weekend.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 2:53 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:It is a shame that a new thread from an organiser running her first Richmond rapidplay has become bogged down in membership debate.
It would be simplest for players if they could just turn up and play without having to be concerned about whether they had the right type of ECF membership or even ECF membership at all. As far as I understand it, this is NOT a viewpoint shared by ECF Directors and it was the BCF who started the whole "you must be a member to play in internationally rated events" issue by claiming it as a FIDE requirement.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:from http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... w=category
Swiss Tournaments: Number of players multiplied by 1 Euro
Team Tournaments: 1 Euro per player, no maximum

So 1 Euro per tournament per player. Or is it 1 Euro per player per six months regardless of the tournament count? The wording is a bit ambiguous.
The way I read it was that the billing would be every six months. If this is correct then the (registration) fee is one euro per player per swiss tournament. And there's also the annual rating fee which is one euro per player.

Yes, it's shame this issue has come up in Sabrina's first tournament but it is relevant... Who, ultimately, will pay the FIDE charges (edit)for non-ECF members(/edit) for the next Richmond Rapidplay event: the tournament itself or the ECF?