Trafford Park Congress Cancelled.

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Reg Clucas

Re: Trafford Park Congress Cancelled.

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:
However the thing that most put me off entering these tourneys was having to play three games on Saturday.
Eh lad, I thought Yorkshiremen were supposed to be 'ard! :wink: Back int' 70s & 80s we used to play six round weekend congresses, three rounds on Saturday and one on Friday night as well!

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:
However the thing that most put me off entering these tourneys was having to play three games on Saturday.
Eh lad, I thought Yorkshiremen were supposed to be 'ard! :wink: Back int' 70s & 80s we used to play six round weekend congresses, three rounds on Saturday and one on Friday night as well!
ah...yes...those were the days in the London Chess Circuit . You needed 6 rounds...otherwise you could never find an out-right winner....cos hundreds of players entered every section !
Bit different now...with many Congresses poorly attended......
shame this guy appears to have failed in his worthy attempt....

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:
I want chess to be enjoyable, spending twelve hours in one day in front of a chess board is not my idea of fun!

Andy Price

Post by Andy Price » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I think it's a real shame that the events have been cancelled.
I'll second that. We should all be grateful for people willing to give up their time to organise these things for us, otherwise there'd be no chess at all.
I had entered the Birmingham congress and have now received a refund for my entry fee, so I am sure the whole thing was bona fide. Shame on the people who cast doubts on it, we have all suffered due to their actions.

Andy Price

Post by Andy Price » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Andrew Bak wrote: I want chess to be enjoyable, spending twelve hours in one day in front of a chess board is not my idea of fun!
Me too, which is why I take a bye in the evening.