e2e4 Chess

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

e2e4 Chess

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

I have been asked a number of times recently whether e2e4 Chess is winding down or ceasing completely. I can assure you that neither is the case!

I have announced today two further 2013 events, and I can also reveal that there will be a nine round tournament at which norms will be available at Sunningdale over Easter 2014.

We are currently working on a whole 2014 calendar, so please don't be alarmed by the fact that there is nothing in the calendar yet. We have lots of hotels offering us opportunities and we are trying to makes sure that we don't clash with other major events, as well as spacing out the events we do run throughout the year. This takes some time, but will also make it easier for other organisers to plan their events.

When the 2014 calendar is announced there will be plenty of events to choose from, all to the same high standard that you've come to know and expect from e2e4 Chess. I hope to have this calendar published in October 2013.

Calendar

Carol Williams
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I have been asked a number of times recently whether e2e4 Chess is winding down or ceasing completely. I can assure you that neither is the case!

I have announced today two further 2013 events, and I can also reveal that there will be a nine round tournament at which norms will be available at Sunningdale over Easter 2014.

We are currently working on a whole 2014 calendar, so please don't be alarmed by the fact that there is nothing in the calendar yet. We have lots of hotels offering us opportunities and we are trying to makes sure that we don't clash with other major events, as well as spacing out the events we do run throughout the year. This takes some time, but will also make it easier for other organisers to plan their events.

When the 2014 calendar is announced there will be plenty of events to choose from, all to the same high standard that you've come to know and expect from e2e4 Chess. I hope to have this calendar published in October 2013.

Calendar
Question is why are people asking you this.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3354
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Carol Williams wrote:Question is why are people asking you this.
Possibly for the very obvious reason that, prior to these most recent announcements, the forthcoming event at High Wycombe was the last one in the published e2e4 calendar.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17863
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 am

David Sedgwick wrote: the published e2e4 calendar.
The proposed Easter Sunningdale Congress would seem a direct competitor to anything the Surrey Congress might do, or even the CCF.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 am

From what I last noticed we live in a free market

Perhaps this is what we need a bit more competition, if the e2e4 tournament becomes a problem for the Surrey event, then it shows that that format is the way forward, and the organisers have to appreciate that Sean's model is the more attractive

Alex McFarlane
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:25 am

Unfortunately the dynamics of chess events are not so straightforward.

Consider Congresses A & B need 120 players to break even. Congress C needs 300 but usually gets 340.

If they clash A & B get 130 taking 30 each from C. C is now down to 280 and makes a significant loss (say £600). C is still clearly the event that most want to play in but it is now financially uncertain for the future.

I don't think my example proves anything in the way of the most desired format, all it shows is that there is a limited market for chess events and too many clashes may deprive players of events they like.

In my opinion chess players vary enormously in their likes and dislikes. Some are happy to play in dingy halls rather than better accommodation (provided this is reflected in the entry fees). Others want better facilities.

The playing conditions in the two biggest weekend congresses are not ideal (note I'm not saying they are bad, though the Winter Gardens in Blackpool was heading towards it!). If you simply apply the same logic you would say that all chess tournaments should be held at seaside resorts out of season. This is clearly not the case. The factors affecting the success of a congress are many and varied.

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:17 pm

No news of forthcoming Congresses yet ?

John Upham
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The proposed Easter Sunningdale Congress would seem a direct competitor to anything the Surrey Congress might do, or even the CCF.
The more event organisers that compete at or visit an e2e4 event the merrier: hopefully that will provide ideas for improvement for organiser with an open mind.

If weaker events fall by the wayside in the face of alternatives providing a better playing experience then so be it.

Darwin would be vindicated.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChessNew
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 pm

That doesn't answer my question.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17863
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:06 pm

John Upham wrote: If weaker events fall by the wayside in the face of alternatives providing a better playing experience then so be it. .
It's not in the interests of a stable Congress calendar for organisers to have to worry about an e2e4 event popping up on their doorstep within a week or two of theirs. It's not in the interests of Congress players either, particularly those willing to travel a reasonable distance, not to be able to plan travel and accommodation in advance.

There's no mention (yet?) of a 2014 Surrey Easter Congress.

John Upham
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:That doesn't answer my question.
True but it was a reply to comment raised in this very thread.

I suspect Sean Hewitt is best placed to answer your question.

I'm usually advised to email the person concerned.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChessNew
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
popping up on their doorstep within a week or two of theirs.
Who is to say which organiser has rights to a doorstep? How large should be the radius of that doorstep?

If a new event appears and is more popular than another then legacy events and organisers should consider why it should be so.

If regular Basingstoke 40 minute events were to be resurrected (and run in the style of Dick Boxall) then they too might impact other one day events.

There is a good venue at Basingstoke Bridge and Chess club suitable for a one day event not in London.

Survival of the fittest.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChessNew
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17863
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:59 pm

John Upham wrote: Who is to say which organiser has rights to a doorstep? How large should be the radius of that doorstep?

If a new event appears and is more popular than another then legacy events and organisers should consider why it should be so.
The danger with the e2e4 events that they are a "Now you see it, now you don't phenomena". So it forces closure of a local event and disbanding of the organising team, but the following year there isn't a local e2e4 event. The net result is no event at all.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:52 am

"There's no mention (yet?) of a 2014 Surrey Easter Congress."

It's much too early to expect news of this nature.

Martin Crichton
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: e2e4 Chess

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 pm

seems to me the weakness of the e2e4 events are they are basically a 1 man band i.e Sean Hewitt.

That said they have lower overheads and can offer cheaper entry fees to players so its a balance / choice for players entering in advance. Sounds like some people want their cake and to eat it also.

e2e4 events should be fine for those players that want to enter and plan their time 6 weeks in advance.

The other type of players that need more notice and security about chess events should basically play in the events that are run by committees and regular annual events in the ECF calendar such as the British championships and various Easter congresses.

There are more than enough chess events in the calendar to cater for all players.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Post Reply