The British at Bournemouth and Beautiful Boscombe (BBBB)

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
abi&timadams

Re: The British at Bournemouth and Beautiful Boscombe (BBBB)

Post by abi&timadams » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Is Jonathan Hawkins, British Champion, going to play?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:48 pm

abi&timadams wrote:Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Is Jonathan Hawkins, British Champion, going to play?
The current entry list does not list him. Of course, he may yet decide to enter.

abi&timadams

Post by abi&timadams » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:24 am

Yes I noticed that, which is why I asked here. Thought someone might know if he was going to enter.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm

I don't know; but it is still early days. He wouldn't be liable for a late entry fee, after all. I just hope that it won't turn out to be another Conquest/Lloyds Bank 1991 situation. There is clearly some money for this event, is it clear where it is all coming from (Tradewise, or Malcolm's favourite anonymous sponsor, or somewhere else)? *

Be all that as it may, the event still much looks the same, if one somehow just excludes the top entrant. Among 49 entrants, there are just three in the 2300s, one of whom is really playing for the womens prize (and has presumably been offered relatively generous conditions to play). There are over twice as many entrants below 2000. On the current list, if anyone in the field makes an IM norm, we already know it will be Marcus Harvey.

To be fair to the Home Director, he does recognise the problem and has tried to consult about it.

* Have just read further up the thread, and it seems that the answer is the second or the third.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I just hope that it won't turn out to be another Conquest/Lloyds Bank 1991 situation.
Which was ...?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:59 pm

This is hearsay but I tend to believe it.

Conquest finished 1= at Lloyds Bank 1990 while still an IM: quite an achievement. I believe he won on tiebreak (well, he had been on 7.5/8). But he wasn't offered anything extra in recognition the following year - just the same £50 or so which all titled players below the top tier were offered. Whilst understanding that economics were the main driving force here, he was disappointed that being the defending champion apparently counted for nothing, and so did not appear to defend his title.

It may sound like an emotional response on his part, but I fully understand it.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:10 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:This is hearsay but I tend to believe it.

Conquest finished 1= at Lloyds Bank 1990 while still an IM: quite an achievement. I believe he won on tiebreak (well, he had been on 7.5/8). But he wasn't offered anything extra in recognition the following year - just the same £50 or so which all titled players below the top tier were offered. Whilst understanding that economics were the main driving force here, he was disappointed that being the defending champion apparently counted for nothing, and so did not appear to defend his title.

It may sound like an emotional response on his part, but I fully understand it.

Ah ok. I have a hazy memory of Aagaard not going back to defend his title as a result of dissatisfaction with appearance money. That might have been to do with Scottish players in general not getting anything, though. Or maybe is just wrong.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:04 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Conquest finished 1= at Lloyds Bank 1990 while still an IM: quite an achievement. I believe he won on tiebreak (well, he had been on 7.5/8).
Yes, finishing on 8/10 with Adams & Sturua (who is familiar to me from the Seniors events that Keith Arkell has played the last couple of years)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:10 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Ah ok. I have a hazy memory of Aagaard not going back to defend his title as a result of dissatisfaction with appearance money.
That would have been the British Championships of 2007 (Great Yarmouth) and 2008 (Liverpool). Scottish players have rarely been seen at the British since. After the Indian squad was excluded, the Scots won it four years in a row. Rowson (2004, 2005, 2006), Aagaard (2007).

[edit] Rowson won in 2004 as well [/edit]

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:22 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Conquest finished 1= at Lloyds Bank 1990 while still an IM: quite an achievement. I believe he won on tiebreak (well, he had been on 7.5/8).
Yes, finishing on 8/10 with Adams & Sturua (who is familiar to me from the Seniors events that Keith Arkell has played the last couple of years)
Sturua was familiar to me at Lloyds Bank 1990 itself. He beat me in the third round.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:49 pm

A tip for anyone looking for university style accommodation in Bournemouth similar to Warwick or Aberystwyth is that the website booking.com now has availability. What they are offering is right in the centre of town, near the railway station, which means it's a walk or bus ride to and from the venue. Pricing is a little bizarre in that the cost per night reduces with the more nights you select. It's given a description as an Aparthotel which I suspect means you have to make your own bed. No breakfast included either, but there wasn't in Warwick and I'd imagine the walk to the nearest food outlet somewhat shorter than Warwick. No inclusive car parking either.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:45 am

David Gilbert wrote: Shame Jon. You’ll be missed, especially after your exploits in last year’s rapidplay.
Lol avoid getting Crocketted and come out half a point ahead of the field, then blunder my queen to a foetus in the next round to give it all back? Bit of an anti-climax that one :roll: :lol:

There’ll be no sharking rapids for a while sadly, my new grade will be somewhere in the 150 area come July, I was hoping to be back in the minor come the British Rapid!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

The five hundred mark reached today. That’s 70 more than this time last year. Bournemouth's pubs and restaurants will be overflowing with chess sets, although you wouldn’t know it from the Bournemouth Tourist Information Website. Chess isn’t mentioned, but there’s table tennis and beach football. I’ve just spotted Justin Tan’s name on the list which adds a bit more quality. If you’re coming and haven’t put your entry in yet you have until Thursday, 23 June 2016 before the surcharge comes into play.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Roll-up, roll-up, ioday's your last chance to enter at the lower rate. Prices for most events rise from tomorrow. Just over four-weeks to go and already a cool 645 entries (657 an hour later). There remains a question about whether the current champion will be playing this year. No doubt it'll be better with him than without him. Great to see Scotland's Andrew MacQueen back after two years' absence. They'll be dancing in the streets of St Mirren, Bob. Just searching the stores at Bluewater for some new attire for Bournemouth. I hear red trousers are trendy with posh people - good for hiding wine stains and getting the best tables in Wetherspoons perhaps?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pZS4jdI-o

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

David Gilbert wrote:I hear red trousers are trendy with posh people - good for hiding wine stains and getting the best tables in Wetherspoons perhaps?
... and for helping you win, apparently.