WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS: KOS 2017

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
AustinElliott

Re: WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS: KOS 2017

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Wicklow news
Well done Stephen. I remember Stephen bringing his mum down to Chorlton one night when she was visiting him. We were sorry to lose Stephen to Bury, but as he's living up Bury way now it makes more sense for him. Don't think we've seen him back at Chorlton yet in a Bury team - maybe next season.

As the article mentions, Stephen used to be the Mayor of the town of Greystones, south of Dublin, and I believe he represented Ireland in the Glorney Cup in his schooldays. Chess players might be impressed to hear that he gave Garry Kasparov a walking tour of Dublin (!) when GK visited Ireland in 2014 as part of his FIDE presidential campaign.

Barry Sandercock

Re: WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS: KOS 2018

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm

World Amateur chess Championships Kos 2018. I see the hotel is now fully booked. Can anyone give me information of a hotel very nearby as I am thinking about playing there next year.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm
Can anyone give me information of a hotel very nearby as I am thinking about playing there next year.
I cannot help with a specific recommendation, but the nearest resort village is Kardamenia which has long been on the tourist map. The Helona Resort hotel is a bit out of town, so there may not be any other hotels within easy walking distance. It's flat in that part of the island though.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm
World Amateur chess Championships Kos 2018. I see the hotel is now fully booked. Can anyone give me information of a hotel very nearby as I am thinking about playing there next year.
\

Barry, come! It's fabulous. Mrs S will have a wonderful time! The Helona was fully booked before the middle of September. People are now staying at the Lakitira Hotel. It's another fabulous hotel and only five minutes minutes walk to the Helona. You can take breakfast there, but most people have lunch and their evening meal at the Helona. If you need help making the booking and organising flights drop me a personal message. Hope to see you there. At the last count there were ten entries from England, three from Ireland and one Scottie.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks very much for you information. My daughter and son in law may come with us and are looking into it for us.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 am

The more the merrier, but if you want to play in the tournament they'll need to book through the ACO.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 pm

News from the ACO’s World Amateur Chess Championships at the incredible Helona Resort on Kos. England is punching above its weight. With six rounds gone and three to come, we have three players in contention for possible titles. In Group B - the 2200 crowd - Timothy Seymour from Surbiton shares a three-way lead on 4½/6. In Group C - the under 2000 faction - Meyrick Shaw from Exmouth sits half-a-point back with 4½/6. In Group D - the 1800 crew - James Chilton from Basingstoke heads the field with 5½/6. Not to be outdone, the lone Scot among the 300-strong entry, Randhir Koli, is in a challenging position in 1600 company. Lots more chess to come, lots more sun, and lots more food. Poor us.