Thanet Chess Congress 2017

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Robert Page

Thanet Chess Congress 2017

Post by Robert Page » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:07 am

The 48th Thanet Chess Congress will take place at Christ Church University Broadstairs from August 18-20. There are five sections and entry is free for GMs and IMs, and only £5 for U15s. Accommodation is available at the venue but early booking is advised. For more details and online entry, go to http://www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Thanet Chess Congress 2017

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Robert Page wrote:For more details and online entry, go to http://www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk.
The website says
British Championship qualifier (now confirmed)
I thought that the ECF had stripped away all the rights of non FIDE rated Congresses to offer qualification places for 2018 and even FIDE rated Congresses had to pool their results in a Grand Prix.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -Regs.docx

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Roger is correct.

The British Championship Qualification Rules for 2018 were changed this year quite arbitrarily and with little warning or direct discussion with the Chess Unions.

The Unions have had ALL their rights removed regarding nomination of tournaments within their respective jurisdictions to award BC qualification places.

The new rules now only allow Unions to nominate the winner of their own Individual Championships, most of whom will already have qualified by title. Unions no longer have the right to nominate the next highest scoring eligible player in their championship who has not otherwise qualified.

As a result of these changes, the role of the Chess Unions in English Chess is significantly diminished.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:18 pm

The highest eligible player does win the Kent championship I believe, but whether that helps is another matter. I thought the qualifying for British Championship thing had been removed from the entry form, but I have mislaid my copy. At the time it was discussed, the new rules might not have been published.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: At the time it was discussed, the new rules might not have been published.
I think you referred to it in passing during a forum discussion when the new BCQ rules were first proposed. That's why I was surprised to see the website implying that there would be a place.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 pm

At the SCCU Exec meeting in April 2017, I believe, we did allocate a BC place to Thanet for the 2017-18 season in accordance with rules then in force, as we had done in previous years.

Within two weeks of our meeting, our decision became invalidated by the publication of the ECF's new rules.

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:39 pm

At the SCCU Exec meeting in April 2017, I believe, we did allocate a BC place to Thanet for the 2017-18 season in accordance with rules then in force, as we had done in previous years.

Within two weeks of our meeting, our decision became invalidated by the publication of the ECF's new rules.
The first paragraph is as I understand it but I don't think the SCCU has informed the Thanet League about the change. I shall find out and amend the website provisionally.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 am

Michael Flatt wrote:At the SCCU Exec meeting in April 2017, I believe, we did allocate a BC place to Thanet for the 2017-18 season in accordance with rules then in force, as we had done in previous years.

Robert Page wrote:The first paragraph is as I understand it but I don't think the SCCU has informed the Thanet League about the change. I shall find out and amend the website provisionally.
There does appear to have been a misunderstanding.

However, I am afraid that Michael is correct. The SCCU is not in a position to award the forthcoming Thanet Congress a British Championship Qualifying place.

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

The link posted earlier by Roger of the British Championship qualification criteria lists under Section D that one of the qualifying places goes to the 2017/18 Southern Counties Chess Union Champion.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -Regs.docx

The following is an extract from an email from Julie Denning, President of the SCCU dated May 10:
The SCCU Exec Committee voted for the Thanet Congress being offered the right to award the title of SCCU Champion, and with it a BCC qualifying place for 2018, subject to the detailed ECF rules that have been published on the ECF website.

At the time of our meeting the final ECF position was expected but not confirmed. It has been confirmed, with the result that this is now the only qualifying place that remains within the gift of the Union.
I am not an expert on this topic but it seems to me that discussion over the fact Thanet is not a FIDE-qualified congress is a red herring. Thanet qualifies because the winner of the Open will not only be the Kent Individual Champion as has been the case for many years but also the SCCU 17/18 Champion (The Thanet Congress takes place after the 2017 British Championships).

I removed the phrase 'British Championship qualifier' from the website while this discussion was taking place but I would be grateful if someone could let me know if I can put it back in.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Robert Page wrote: I removed the phrase 'British Championship qualifier' from the website while this discussion was taking place but I would be grateful if someone could let me know if I can put it back in.
The question you need to ask is what happens in the probable event of the winner of Thanet being both SCCU qualified and also a titled player or already otherwise qualified. Does the place drop down the final ranking list until it finds someone not already qualified?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Robert Page wrote: I removed the phrase 'British Championship qualifier' from the website while this discussion was taking place but I would be grateful if someone could let me know if I can put it back in.
The question you need to ask is what happens in the probable event of the winner of Thanet being both SCCU qualified and also a titled player or already otherwise qualified. Does the place drop down the final ranking list until it finds someone not already qualified?
That question is answered by the qualification regulations for some types of "already otherwise qualified". If someone qualifies from a FIDE title norm tournament and then also qualifies as a Union champion or National champion, then they get their place from being Union or National champion. The place they did have from the FIDE title norm tournament is then given to someone else who played in that title norm tournament.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 pm

If you look at http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... gulations/

it says, in D4, "2017/18 Southern Counties Chess Union Champion" qualifies.

Elsewhere, the website says for "general enquiries", contact [email protected]

So maybe ask them or the BCC Manager, [email protected]

I asked the latter a question and he wrote back, starting, "Dear Ken", and you can imagine how displeased I was with that...

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I asked the latter a question and he wrote back, starting, "Dear Ken", and you can imagine how displeased I was with that...
Better than "Dear John", surely?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 am

Nothing to do with the general debate, but being the current SCCU champion (2015-16) having won it in November 2015, I'm wondering if I attempt to retain the title, and succeed, at the Weald Congress in July 2017, I could set records for holding the title for the longest and shortest periods - ie. 20 months (2015-16) and 3 weeks (2016-17)?!!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:56 am

Richard Bates wrote:Nothing to do with the general debate, but being the current SCCU champion (2015-16)
It is to do with the current debate, since in the event of a passing SCCU IM winning the tournament or finishing as the highest SCCU eligible player, what are the rules cascading the BCQ to a lower finisher?

This is last year's result
http://ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?f ... ectionNo=1

and the top 3

1 258768D Merry, Alan B w17+ b16+ w2= b4+ w7+ 4.5
2 150149F Taylor, Martin R b3= w11+ b1= w14+ b5+ 4
3 107026F Botley, Gordon w2= b15= w8= b11+ w13+ 3.5

Alan Merry probably doesn't qualify for the SCCU title by virtue of being EACU, Martin Taylor certainly does and would be Kent Champion as well. He would be qualified already for the British by virtue of being an FM with a sufficiently high rating. So would the player finishing third gain a qualification place?