SCCU 125th Anniversary Match - Saturday 16th September 2017

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Michael Flatt

SCCU 125th Anniversary Match - Saturday 16th September 2017

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 am

North of the Thames vs South of the Thames

The Southern Counties Chess Union was founded in 1892 and is celebrating its 125th year with a celebratory challenge match between two teams formed from members of SCCU counties, both current and all those previously affiliated, and will comprise players of all ages and playing strength.

SCCU Counties North of the Thames: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Herefordshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Gloucestershire, Middlesex, Monmouthshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk

SCCU Counties South of the Thames: Berkshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Kent, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Wiltshire

The match, over 125 boards, will take place on Saturday 16th September, 1.00pm to 6.00pm, at The Hall School, 23 Crossfield Road, Swiss Cottage, London, NW3 4NU.

Time control will be 125mins for all moves. All games will be ECF graded.

If you would like to participate in this historic event please register your interest with your Team Manager as soon as possible to not be disappointed:
North Team: Manager, Chris Majer, at [email protected]
South Team: Manager, Mike Gunn, at [email protected]

For all other queries, please, contact the Tournament Controller, Mark Murrell, at [email protected]

Details, including lists of team members, can be found on the SCCU website: https://sccu-chess.com/index.php/en/125th-celebration

Mike Gunn

Re: SCCU 125th Anniversary Match - Saturday 16th September 2017

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:21 am

Places in both teams still available!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Wanted to push this back up. I'm looking forward to it and thanks for the organisers. Give them some support!

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 am

Yes, agreed. Around 130 players at the last count, should be a good match.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 am

It is a sign of the times that interest in such matches has plummeted so much. I was one of the captains for the South of London vs North of London "Pergamon Chess" launch about 25 years ago and we had lots more than that. In 1969, Civil Service beat Insurance in a 75-board match. County matches were frequently contested over 100 boards. Those were the days!

Anyway, I hope it goes well.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I was one of the captains for the South of London vs North of London "Pergamon Chess" launch about 25 years ago ....
Thank you for your good wishes and for that information. Neither Stewart Reuben nor I could recall the exact circumstances of the match.

Pergamon acquired CHESS in 1988, so I presume that the match took place some time that year.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:47 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:I was one of the captains for the South of London vs North of London "Pergamon Chess" launch about 25 years ago ....
Thank you for your good wishes and for that information. Neither Stewart Reuben nor I could recall the exact circumstances of the match.

Pergamon acquired CHESS in 1988, so I presume that the match took place some time that year.
According to this old Ceefax page (never thought I'd ever use that again!) the match was scheduled for 20 March 1988.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 am

"Mar 20 Perg—lnn Chess London League Centenary T—e Barbican, 1200-1900, GM simuls speed tournaments, 1,000 board NorthLondon v SouthLondon match..." (Ceefax)

I recall looking up from a board as, from immediately above me, Robert Maxwell (owner of Pergamon publishing) delivered an introductory speech from a balcony somewhere deep with the Barbican.

From an old thread -

"... And another question - is the massive match between Civil Service and Rest of London, played on 22/10/1927, and scheduled for 500 boards, still a UK record?... I don't think the South v North match organised by "Chess" beat it - I should remember as I was South captain...

The one in which I was involved was sponsored by 'Chess' when Pergamon took over, (Paul Lamford was editor) and I can't remember when (probably early 80s). It was South of London vs North of London, there is a concentration of chess players in the South East. I telephoned every club secretary in Kent, Sussex, Surrey etc. seeking players, and obviously spoke to people at league matches and tournaments. It was a lot of phone calls. When everybody got to the venue, some players were transferred so that everybody played. There were all sorts of prizes and I think everybody was supposed to get a pocket set or some such. Ghislaine Maxwell (daughter of Robert) turned up to do an opening ceremony. The plan was to have a 1000 board match, but it didn't get near that. As far as I could tell, people enjoyed it, and Paul could reasonably say that he had marketed the magazine. By then I was regretting that I had agreed to do it, but the cheque for expenses was generous, so that made me feel better! I wouldn't like to organise something like that again. Of course it would be easier now - set up a website, advertise it here, relatively easy..."

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2133

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

According to this old Ceefax page (never thought I'd ever use that again!) the match was scheduled for 20 March 1988.
Thanks Chris.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

I played and remembered Ghislaine on front cover. At Barbican. Shame no repeats but then again missing billions in pension funds and going missing from a boat must have had something to do about it.

Take the emergency number just in case. I eventually got into work today having bypassed Parsons Green, spent some time assisting in other services (we are responsible for Hammersmith as well) and ensured my boss who was not working today knew I was Ok.

Looking forward to some chess and not letting 5 acts of terrorism in 2017 plus Grenfell Tower disaster and storming of Kensington Town Hall getting in the way of enjoying ourselves. See you tomorrow and I love my paring, and there are some other great match ups too.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

North of the Thames won 36.5-31.5. Full results at https://sccu-chess.com/index.php/en/pairings.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Many thanks to all of the organizers for putting on a very interesting match, the like of which most of us will not have played in before, and for the excellent venue and catering, and lastly to my opponent, for not taking advantage of my over-optimistic play and ultimately incorrect sacrifice!

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 am

Many thanks Brendan for your work. I wasn't even aware of you taking many of these!