Rapidplay in the heart of Wensleydale 16th September

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Andrew Zigmond

Rapidplay in the heart of Wensleydale 16th September

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Yesterday the Harrogate Chess Club received an email about the below event which I thought I would share on here.

http://tennantsgardenrooms.com/?post_type=events&p=4654
Last edited by Andrew Zigmond on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Martin Benjamin

Re: Rapidplay in the heart of Wensleydale 16th September

Post by Martin Benjamin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Hope it is successful. I love the Wensleydale area and have holidayed there several times. On holiday in Askrigg this year, my wife and I visited The Little Chocolate Factory a couple of times in the business park next door to the venue for this event. With half a thought towards retiring to the area in about ten years from now, I investigated the proximity of chess clubs, and I don't think there is one within about a 25 mile radius of Leyburn, so like Andrew, I wonder who has thought this up and organised it. I hope people within reasonable travelling distance support it. Sounds like an enjoyable day out. Non chess playing members of the family can enjoy a day's strolling in the dales.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Leyburn is also the home of the Leyburn Pottery, which sells some awesome pieces. They make the renowned "Countdown" teapot as well. Martin is right - the area is well worth a visit.

John Garnett

Post by John Garnett » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 pm

The event is organised by Kegan Harrison of Great Ayton Chess Club, who also works at the venue. This is actually the second event to be held there. I was one of the 19 players who took part in the first one in May, and it was a very enjoyable day at an excellent venue. Unfortunately I won't be able to play in the next event but I can recommend it to anyone who is able to.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 pm

There is a Wensleydale bridge team (of 8 no less) in the Yorkshire bridge league. In a rather low division but it always impresses me :)
(I can imagine going there in September, but not to play chess! Lovely area of course.).

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 pm

John Garnett wrote:The event is organised by Kegan Harrison of Great Ayton Chess Club, who also works at the venue. This is actually the second event to be held there. I was one of the 19 players who took part in the first one in May, and it was a very enjoyable day at an excellent venue. Unfortunately I won't be able to play in the next event but I can recommend it to anyone who is able to.
Thanks to John for the info. I have made an edit to my original post accordingly.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own