New National Blitz event

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Alex Holowczak

Re: New National Blitz event

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 am
Paignton has taken place in the first week of September for 60+ consecutive years. It could therefore be hoped that the event qualified as fairly significant in dates to avoid clashing an important new event with.
Actually, it wasn't. Mostly because when we put the dates in the diary, there was some doubt that Paignton would even go ahead this year; it being before news of the Wilson/Rudd takeover went public and ensured it would be going ahead.

In terms of dates:
- 1 September, English Women's Championship
- 8 September, Paignton possibly
- 15 September, UKCC Terafinal (so lots of strong children unavailable)
- 22 September, 29 September, 6 October, many of the people who might have run events are in Batumi at the Olympiad (Holowczak, McFarlane, Carr, Atkinson), and indeed many of the players (particularly in Cardiff) would be there too
- 13 October, many of the people who might be running events are at the ECF AGM (which I know may seem like a confusion of priorities, but staff availability is important)
- 20 October, 27 October, clashes with Isle of Man
- 4 November, clashes with the 4NCL International
- 11 November, 18 November, clashes with 4NCL (it's a split weekend)
- 25 November, clashes with the British Rapidplay
- 1 December, this is the date we're holding the Final!
- 8 December, the day before the London Chess Classic festival starts; at the time, we didn't know whether or not this date would be available

And that's just England, if we remember Isle of Man is in England for chess administration so far as FIDE were concerned. Of the various things it was going to clash with, Paignton was the only real option, on the grounds that at the time we didn't know whether or not it was going ahead.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 am
there was some doubt that Paignton would even go ahead this year.

In terms of dates:
- 1 September, English Women's Championship
- 8 September, Paignton possibly
- 15 September, UKCC Terafinal (so lots of strong children unavailable)
Point taken about Paignton.
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 am

However, of course I understand that the clash may simply have been unavoidable.
My stronger hope, for future years, remains that there might be 2 qualifying dates, eg 4 qualifiers on one day and 4 on another. In this case, perhaps that might have equated to the 8th and 9th of September? Many players have privately said to me the same.

Anyway, I don't want this detail to detract from what was a smashing organisational effort by Alex and the ECF, and a welcome new event in the calendar.