ACO World Amateur Championships

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Gilbert

ACO World Amateur Championships

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am

The journey to Crete begins today for the ACO's World Seniors Amateur Chess Championships at the incredible looking Fodele Beach Resort. There'll be a few beached whales doing the flumes and slides this week. On the plane are nine oldies from England, one Welshman and a New Zealander from Sidcup! Also, announced this morning, the ACO World Amateur Championships that are moving from Kos to the five star Sheraton Resort on the island of Rhodes from 20-29 April 2019, which includes the Easter weekend. More details here https://amateurchess.com/wp-content/upl ... 19_eng.pdf My name's on the entry list already. To get the best prices you'll need to register before 30 November 2018. Walking On Sunshine!

David Gilbert

Re: ACO World Amateur Championships

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:50 pm

The champagne corks are popping as I type this. Meyrick Shaw of Exmouth Chess Club, and a familiar face in the South West, is the new ACO Seniors World Champion in the under 2000 section. Meyrick has just won his ninth round game, a game he needed to win for the trophy. He becomes the first player from England to win any ACO World Title. In fact we have one and a half winners. Bob Mitchell from New Zealand, and a member of Sidcup Chess Club who can often be found at Adam Raoof’s rapidplays, is a World Champion at the under 1600 level. Bob holds joint British and New Zealand citizenships. Great competition, great hotel, great chess. Brendan’s great photographs will no doubt follow. The ACO caravan now makes its way from Crete to Rhodes where it settles next Easter.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

You made it sound so grand, so alluring, and so awe-inspiring, until ...
David Gilbert wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:50 pm
The ACO caravan
:wink:

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Just in case anyone is in any doubt, these ACO events are the Trump (i.e., fake) world championships for seniors.
A good holiday, no doubt, but not a serious FIDE-rated congress.

The real thing starts in Bled on 17 November (see the Seniors thread on this board).

Congratulations anyway to Meyrick Shaw.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm
Just in case anyone is in any doubt, these ACO events are the Trump (i.e., fake) world championships for seniors.
A good holiday, no doubt, but not a serious FIDE-rated congress.

The real thing starts in Bled on 17 November (see the Seniors thread on this board).

Congratulations anyway to Meyrick Shaw.
Is Bled an amateur, i.e. rating limited, event? If not, you're not comparing like with like. I've participated in three ACO events and was very pleased with them all. I haven't participated in any FIDE world events but am told they can vary in quality of organisation and accommodation. The ACO events are uniformly top quality in all respects except that the games are not rated and there's too much delicious food available for the weak of will.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:14 pm

No, Bled is an official FIDE senior world championship (50+, 65+, men and women), FIDE rated and with title norms available.

I (and FIDE) would have no problem with ACO if they did not call their events World Championships which they patently are not.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 pm

I think this ought to have been in the international section.
Congratulations to Meyrick but just looks like an expensive holiday to me.
When I go on holiday the last thing I will want to do is play chess.