Exhausted Tie Breaks

A forum for the Yorkshire Chess Association.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: Exhausted Tie Breaks

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun May 12, 2019 1:29 pm

The play-off has now taken place with Harrogate A winning by the narrowest possible margin.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:29 pm
The play-off has now taken place with Harrogate A winning by the narrowest possible margin.
Damn, I was hoping for all drawn games and another kerfuffle as to what to do next. :lol:

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:29 pm
Damn, I was hoping for all drawn games and another kerfuffle as to what to do next. :lol:
It was agreed on my suggestion (as chairman of Harrogate which the Harrogate captain relayed to the Rose Forgrove captain) to use the same tie break rules as the county championships. So in the event of all draws the team with black on board 1 would have won (Rose Forgrove).

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm

That was clever :) Well done Harrogate.

Fairly sure its the first time Forgrove have been relegated in their existence. They'll very likely come straight back up again of course.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm
So in the event of all draws the team with black on board 1 would have won (Rose Forgrove).
That's really quite a useful little rule. Did the teams have choice of colours? The usual rule of thumb would be that taking White on 1 is the better option if you anticipate a possible drawn match and the application of board count or bottom board elimination.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm
So in the event of all draws the team with black on board 1 would have won (Rose Forgrove).
That's really quite a useful little rule. Did the teams have choice of colours? The usual rule of thumb would be that taking White on 1 is the better option if you anticipate a possible drawn match and the application of board count or bottom board elimination.
The Yorkshire League rules stipulate that the away team has white on the odd boards (a relatively recent change, until 2011 it was a coin toss). Rose Forgrove were the away team in the original match. They hosted the replay (not at their usual venue which was unavailable, as was Harrogate's) and colours were switched from the original match.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm
That was clever :) Well done Harrogate.

Fairly sure its the first time Forgrove have been relegated in their existence. They'll very likely come straight back up again of course.
They were one of only four teams that have been consistently in the Woodhouse Cup since (at least) the late nineties along with Bradford A, Sheffield A and York RI A. Interestingly the last time Rose Forgrove won any silverware was 1992 when their B Team won the Silver Rook (and have stayed in the IM Brown ever since, bubbling under as promotion contenders a couple of times).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:51 pm
AustinElliott wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm
the current multi-stage rapid playoffs... Which in their turn now give us the decisive rapid-games-tied Armageddon game... which (one has the sense) almost no fan finds terribly satisfactory when it gets that far, though TBF the players seem to accept it.

Altibox Norway next month will take it much further.

Main game all moves in two hours, no increment, no draws before 30, 10 secs increment from 41.

If drawn, immediate Armageddon, same colours as in main game, White 10 mins, Black 7 mins, 3 secs increment from 61. Armageddons will start simultaneously when all classical games finished.

Main game decisive 2-0, main game drawn then 1.5-0.5. Thus zero draws in the entire tournament.

Should be lively but also quite messy, since at the same time Carlsen will be trying to get past 2882/2889 for a new world record under traditional scoring, as I discuss in https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... rld-record
My birthday blitz yesterday used a game of table tennis as an unlikely alternative to an armageddon game to determine the result of a semi-final and final. :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 am
Leonard Barden wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:51 pm
AustinElliott wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm
the current multi-stage rapid playoffs... Which in their turn now give us the decisive rapid-games-tied Armageddon game... which (one has the sense) almost no fan finds terribly satisfactory when it gets that far, though TBF the players seem to accept it.

Altibox Norway next month will take it much further.

Main game all moves in two hours, no increment, no draws before 30, 10 secs increment from 41.

If drawn, immediate Armageddon, same colours as in main game, White 10 mins, Black 7 mins, 3 secs increment from 61. Armageddons will start simultaneously when all classical games finished.

Main game decisive 2-0, main game drawn then 1.5-0.5. Thus zero draws in the entire tournament.

Should be lively but also quite messy, since at the same time Carlsen will be trying to get past 2882/2889 for a new world record under traditional scoring, as I discuss in https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... rld-record
My birthday blitz yesterday used a game of table tennis as an unlikely alternative to an armageddon game to determine the result of a semi-final and final. :D
No Super Over? :idea: