2023/2024 Season

A forum for the Yorkshire Chess Association.
Mark Howitt

Re: 2023/2024 Season

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:04 am

I'm DELIGHTED to see a Huddersfield win God has blessed us...

What a result!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:18 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:32 pm
Huddersfield over the line Vs Ilkley too. Some very good and competitive games this season Martin.
Definitely :) Most of the teams look very close on paper.

Ilkley really have been very unlucky to date. 11/24 game points but only 1/6 match? Could really do with a win soon though with their final three matches looking very tough and everyone else picking up points.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:49 am

I'd like to play for Hudds at some point this season but might not be good enough...

Just have to keep training and we'll see...

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:06 am

Mark please can you put your training schedule and whether you will play a game, on another thread? You are doing this quite a lot. Thank you in advance.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:08 pm

Just had interesting thought...

So it seems York A are less strong so far this year because no IMs playing...

Has anyone from York or other teams ever paid or thought about paying players? Because I know titled players sometimes get paid to play league chess...

What I kinda know is sometimes that 'sponsors' etc pay them... I mean obvs this happens in the 4ncl...

Just interested to know what everyone thinks :)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 am

Mark Howitt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:08 pm
We covered this once already! No, no one gets played to play in the Yorkshire league. The whole idea is mildly offensive to be frank.

It does happen in the London league of course.

York had at least one important player missing - for very good real life reasons! - and Hull are just very solid now. Our bottom boards did brilliantly to keep it close - they've been driving us for the past few seasons. We're about 50% on the top 4 boards over that period, some huge percentage from 5-8.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:19 pm

Are you over in York next weekend Martin? I am taking a mixed team of juniors and adults over to Guppy's to take on York E. It will be a busy weekend with the u18s league the next day.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:03 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 am
Mark Howitt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:08 pm
We covered this once already! No, no one gets played to play in the Yorkshire league. The whole idea is mildly offensive to be frank.

It does happen in the London league of course.

York had at least one important player missing - for very good real life reasons! - and Hull are just very solid now. Our bottom boards did brilliantly to keep it close - they've been driving us for the past few seasons. We're about 50% on the top 4 boards over that period, some huge percentage from 5-8.
Thanks Martin I remember u said that York didn't pay anyone I was just wondering if other clubs did. I think I remember Matthew Turner got paid to play for Hull in some comps and they paid Jon Speelman to write for them at some stage...

I get why people drop out of chess more now :) LIke imagine you were thinking of it as a career or even spending a lot of time on it... you could get to IM and still make v little money from it ;)

I do know IM Simon Ansell has made decent money from poker though chatted to him a bit...

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pm

Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:19 pm
Are you over in York next weekend Martin? I am taking a mixed team of juniors and adults over to Guppy's to take on York E. It will be a busy weekend with the u18s league the next day.
Sounds fun. The next round of Woodhouse matches - when I should be able to help York A try to quell the rebellion from our B team :) - isn't until the 18th. The trans pennine trains do make it quite a trek these days!

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:19 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pm
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:19 pm
Sounds fun. The next round of Woodhouse matches - when I should be able to help York A try to quell the rebellion from our B team :) - isn't until the 18th. The trans pennine trains do make it quite a trek these days!
That train can be a nightmare. Remember going to play York on a packed train last year near Xmas, with drunken crowds. Ended up with COVID.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Yeah prep is key I guess ;)

I have never been to a chess match on a train...

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:46 pm

Mark – I think it is worth addressing some of your points on people dropping out of chess.

Chess is thriving in Yorkshire. Just around Huddersfield we have new clubs at Meltham and Holmfirth. Dewsbury is seeing a huge uplift in numbers and it looks like Huddersfield may be too. There are also non-competitive clubs from the Library and Inglebirchworth. A new club is also starting to appear in on the outskirts of Huddersfield (I was going to appear tonight with Jacob but have had to pull out) and loose talk of another location.

Just to add that Dewsbury have just entered a junior team into the Yorkshire u18s league. That is three teams from the HDCA now.

Note that Meltham did an anniversary event recently with 50 people appearing and the local Mayor.

Outside of the HDCA we have Ilkley, Settle, Five Towns (Castleford), Sheffield Chess Centre and others emerging in the last few years. Saltaire has joined the league, with Doncaster coming back in and York adding an E team.

Speaking to Leeds, they have had a big influx of 20 somethings. Harrogate also brought a number of new players over to Holmfirth the other week.
Quite a few of these new players are coming in at a high standard, whilst the junior development is stunning.

In terms of County, the NCCU is growing and we should see a return of the Pennine Cup. County teams are getting a lot younger too. 9 players for the u1450s are now eligible for the higher graded teams. I have had 19 come forward for the u1450s match in two weeks without hounding anyone (first time in three years).

With Greater Manchester, we should see 72 players competing on the 12th November.

In terms of money again (sigh), no one is paid or going to be. It depends on how you define value and have an appreciation for hobbies. The big numbers coming through are happy to pay ECF, club membership and travel. Chess is an enjoyable hobby and sport (well not defined as a sport). You are barking up the wrong tree if you want to do this for money and should re-evaluate your choices.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:05 pm

I am GLAD chess seems to be growing around Huddersfield. I still give free promo etc for chess in Huddersfield as well as teaching people... I just really hope some of this much needed tax rebate filters through...

I'm not daft and I've never really done chess for money although I guess it would be nice to make a little having played since the age of 4. After all, tax payers do pay for regular teachers in regular schools. Every day is goal day for me and I hope to balance chess with the rest of my life.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:11 pm

I'll just mention one quick key point before I do something else...

I TOTALLY get how parents think it's worth paying the ECF £18... I mean if you think about it from one perspective chess is like a great child minding service. But of course it's much more than that. If I had a son I would spend quite a lot of time teaching him chess. It's great for mental development. I have spent some time teaching my niece and nephew chess (from when they were 5 and 3) and I actually think they both could be pretty good if they wanted to be. My niece is better verbally than I was at 5. However since their mother earns quite a lot of money as a GP I think it's only fair she pays me a little (she has paid me something in fairness)- after all as a tax payer I am paying some of her wages! So I will only give them the time I feel is fair although my niece in particular... I hope if she does want to do it people in Lancaster help her...

Could say quite a bit more but that's enough for now :) Been chatting to interesting chess people today...

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:05 pm

I genuinely do not get you or your philosophy, it is very much not what I stand for. Limitation on myself I suppose (age creeping in) but appears to be fine on here. Perhaps one to explain on another forum post to enlighten people like me.
HDCA President