Huddersfield & District Chess Association

A forum for the Yorkshire Chess Association.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: Huddersfield & District Chess Association

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:32 pm

robertmitchell wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:26 pm
Thanks so much Steve, our team had a great night and learned a lot from the experience. Such wonderful sportsmanship from our opposition too, offering coaching to some of our debut players after the game. Free of charge!

Surreal how it's friendly, supportive players like the Honley team that make playing chess so worthwhile.
I am currently out with my wife and nearly spat my drink out reading that. You have suffered a bit locally...

Well done on creating Meltham and bring in so many new adults. And coaching all those mainly primary school kids. A huge welcome to the England Chess Forum!
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:47 pm

A quick update.

A new club is getting set up on the outskirts of Halifax. It is early days but we hope they can spring to life.

As well as this a (fairly) regular Friday chess and food event has established itself at Slaighwaite, with a mix of players in attendance.

Social meet ups are now more frequent, with a food and chess event at houses starting (Come Chess with Me). Yesterday was a meet up at a bar (O'Brian's) in Holmfirth to play some games and drink our way through £50 of free vouchers. As the only one not teetotal and the vouchers needing to be used, I was a little unsteady afterwards.

With the League expanding and recent success of our juniors at the Yorkshire u18s and county level, things are looking up.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 pm

Congratulations to Huddersfield A and Captain Greg Eagleton, in winning the Calderdale League. Huddersfield A is a mix of Huddersfield and Holmfirth players, in what is a very strong league, usually dominated by Hebden Bridge.

Take a bow team:
Fossey, Isaac
Burke, Alex
Moss, Peter G
Frank, Colin
Cuaresma, Gerald
Westmoreland, Steve
Cuaresma, Bien
Booth, David
Eagleton, Greg T
Cicuttini, Maximiliano
Batley, Andrew
Westmoreland, Jacob A
HDCA President

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:46 am

Well done :) Not that Hebden are precisely doing *badly*, what with fielding three teams all stacked in the middle of the table.

I'm a bit surprised Hebden have quite so many players, is that just the commuter belt effect?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:49 am

It is a big club and attracts several in from Manchester end. To make the league more competitive though, they split their teams rather than nuking the opposition every match. Much to their credit.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:55 pm

A big congratulations to Honley in winning the Huddersfield Watkinson's League last night, after a super powerful team overcame Belgrave. Holmfirth follow in second place.

Examiner League, Bill Lumley Cup and (if we can fit it in) the Team KO remain. The Watkinsons joins the Keddie Cup as complete.
HDCA President