Huddersfield & District Chess Association

A forum for the Yorkshire Chess Association.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: Huddersfield & District Chess Association

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:52 am

Usually a Congress but the format of the shorter is getting more popular. Ironically two of us, locally, are on the arbiter's course tonight.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:13 pm

I guess Wakefield are potentially another option for Sat league...

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:48 am

Guys.........

Can't sleep atm...

So have to tell u the notorious Mark Howitt did make a return in the glamour venue of Honley Liberal club for his first competitive OTB match in 15 years.

I'd like to say it was a black win in the style of Tal but I did make a few mistakes which hopefully I won't make again.

Big thanks to Leo Keely for the free analysis!

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:04 am

Odd post, calling yourself notorious.

It looked an interesting game, which I understand Gaz could have drawn. You had a fantastic pawn centre at one point and tied your opponent down but he got back in the game. Will have a look at Wednesday or Monday at the club.

As a polite reminder, you kept adjusting your pieces (quite vigorously) on your opponent's turn. You are supposed to do it on your own move. Also less shushing please!
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:16 am

nope he couldn't draw- after he falsely tried to claim a draw by rep I won about 6 moves later lols.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:19 am

You know what stevie i was gonna try and keep it prooooo but i'll quick say this.

After FIFTEEN YEARS out of the game...

I am less sensitive to noise...

However the noise in Honley Liberal club... as I said after the game... worst competitive conditions I've played in... on reflection I've had some about as bad.

I am sure you are aware the game should be played in silence. The game also started after 7.30.

But no worry as I also said I will train in noise and put more tissues in my ears next time.

I know have plenty of room to improve.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:25 am

No chance with that bar area. No tissues in the world can block that.
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:25 am

I want to clarify a few other things.

I said worst conditions as I didn't like the noise.

Free parking...... great!

Nice club in terms of like atmosphere... the sponsor has been there.

It's great to be part of the Honley team!

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:32 am

Lovely team too. And the opposition.
HDCA President

Peter Ackley

Post by Peter Ackley » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:09 pm

This exemplifies my point. How much is Honley paying for the venue? How much would a more suitable venue in the area cost per season? What would this do for club membership fees? Would people be willing to pay it?

It sounds like you have, for what you say, an excellent venue - even outside of a city refreshments and parking is not always guaranteed. Unless there is a wholescale mindset change across chess (and from looking at other posts [not by yourself] I doubt there ever will be) you may have to live with OTB chess being played under these conditions.

I'm pleased that your first match went well and that you enjoyed yourself and I hope the rest of your season continues in the same vein. I would suggest, though, that you get used to these minor irritations. As I enter my 30th league season for leagues across the country I'm mindful that as much as some things irk me realistically the alternative is, sadly, no chess at all.

I'm sure other people have similar experiences but personally my worst venue was playing Greenford-Hayes some 20ish years ago when after a triple-booking the match was played in a disused gents toilet at the Greenford British Legion. Best venue was 30ish years ago playing in a very fine hotel next to a roaring log fire with the remnants of a free buffet, Chipping Campden (now merged with Stratford) versus Leamington. As an ex-player in the Leamington League Carl may well remember the hotel?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:27 pm

Hebden Bridge, eating homecooked Indonesian food. It is one of my favourite places to go, even if I get mashed.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:49 am

For information, the League has a new competition - The Keddie Cup in memory of David Keddie, who passed away last year. 32 attended the first event, with 28 playing (including 12 juniors). There will be four rounds, ending near David's birthday in December and a trophy provided by the family.

Pictures and details are: https://holmfirthchess.org.uk/2023/09/2 ... eddie-cup/ and http://mannchess.org.uk/YEvents/2023-09-21KeddieCup.htm
HDCA President

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:02 pm

Will quickly clarify that free parking is indeed a plus. As I arrived early I checked out the whole club and it seemed a nice venue as a Liberal club.

So in terms of overall venues yes I have for sure played in worse. The noise was bad but it's all just practice or God's will...

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:44 pm

Two messages here. The Huddersfield League will be putting back in place the Bill Lumley Rapidplay competition in the New Year. For the Examiner Handicap League, there are seven teams now competing from Christmas. We are expanding quickly, especially with three team also in the u18s league.

On a separate note and on specific request, I have been contacted by a Club where it has been inferred (via this forum) that certain people are paid to play. This has resulted in players and the main organiser getting multiple contacts. I am also getting repeated messages and queries.

This is categorically not the case nor will it be in future. No players whether they be 2100+ or 1500-1600, are in receipt of any money.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 am

This weekend at the Sheffield Chess Centre, the Yorkshire u1450s, u1650s and u2050s face Greater Manchester. 72 players in total do battle at the Counties latest Chess Centre. The u1850 and Open teams play two weeks later at the excellent Swinton venue.

A big shout out to the 13 players (I know of) from the HDCA who are playing for Yorkshire. This includes five juniors.
Last edited by Stephen Westmoreland on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HDCA President