Event Cancellation

List of cancelled events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Neil Graham

Event Cancellation

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm

I did send a message to Carl to ask for a separate section to list event cancellations; however I expect like everyone else he is overwhelmed by the current situation.

Rather than add cancellations of chess events (Leagues, Congresses, Training Sessions etc) to various other threads, debates, sections etc - could I suggest that all cancellations or postponements are listed here from now on so forum members know where to look and we can keep things updated.

On that note, if this thread takes off may I appeal that it isn't filled with the usual extraneous guff, opinions etc which we see elsewhere on the forum.

Neil Graham

Re: Event Cancellation

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 pm

ECF Finance Council Cancellation

In light of the current coronavirus situation, particularly the Government statements made yesterday, it is clear that it would be inappropriate to hold Finance Council in April. The Board and I, with the advice of the Chair of Governance, will continue to monitor the position. By the end of August 2020 we will either (a) have held Finance Council if circumstances allow or (b) have proposed to Council a written resolution dealing with approval of the budget, the setting of membership fees and the other matters that require to be dealt with. From the ECF Website

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 pm

I have started a thread for congresses going ahead, which may well be a shorter thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10687

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Tim Spanton on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 am

This years Edinburgh Congress has been cancelled.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 am

The US Championships have been postponed.

https://new.uschess.org/news/u-s-champi ... postponed/

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 am

Neil Graham wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm
I did send a message to Carl to ask for a separate section to list event cancellations; however I expect like everyone else he is overwhelmed by the current situation.

Rather than add cancellations of chess events (Leagues, Congresses, Training Sessions etc) to various other threads, debates, sections etc - could I suggest that all cancellations or postponements are listed here from now on so forum members know where to look and we can keep things updated.

On that note, if this thread takes off may I appeal that it isn't filled with the usual extraneous guff, opinions etc which we see elsewhere on the forum.
I haven’t seen a message??????
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:41 am

The huge multi-stage schools event, the UK Chess Challenge is postponed provisionally until September and October.
All Chess Scotland events are cancelled/postponed until the end of April at the present time.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 am
Neil Graham wrote:

I wrote a message and clearly thought I'd sent it. However looking at my "sent" box it's not there and of course the text of the message has disappeared as well. Senior moment I'm afraid :oops: . Anyway the text was a request to start a totally separate section purely to list "cancellations". May I leave it to your discretion whether to move this into a separate section or keep it here? Finally please accept my apologies for suggesting I'd sent the infernal message in the first place - back now to the isolation room!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 pm
I have started a thread for congresses going ahead, which may well be a shorter thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10687

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/
I mean, is there going to be any significant chess activity anywhere (save for online play) once the Candidates is finished?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm
I mean, is there going to be any significant chess activity anywhere (save for online play) once the Candidates is finished?
I, for one, am assuming there will be one day. I'm even assuming that one day there will again be food in the shops.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 pm
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 am
Neil Graham wrote:

I wrote a message and clearly thought I'd sent it. However looking at my "sent" box it's not there and of course the text of the message has disappeared as well. Senior moment I'm afraid :oops: . Anyway the text was a request to start a totally separate section purely to list "cancellations". May I leave it to your discretion whether to move this into a separate section or keep it here? Finally please accept my apologies for suggesting I'd sent the infernal message in the first place - back now to the isolation room!
New section now created please let me know any topics that need moving here.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm
I, for one, am assuming there will be one day. I'm even assuming that one day there will again be food in the shops.
Well, I meant for the next couple of months. Unless this is a genuine extinction event, I do expect "real life" chess to resume eventually ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

English Seniors April 30th - May 3rd postponed https://www.englishchess.org.uk/english ... postponed/

Organisers hope to run the event later in the Year

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:49 pm

British Championships, Torquay, July Cancelled

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/british ... cancelled/

Could I remind forum members that this section should not be used for extraneous comments but just to list cancellations as they come in.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:47 pm

The English Woman’s Championship which would usually be at the end of August.