Autocomplete / Live search

Request amendments or pass comments on this free service.
Locked
Michael Bennett
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 am
Contact:

Autocomplete / Live search

Post by Michael Bennett » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Carl. I was wondering - have you considered putting an autocomplete or live search on the form fields we use to search the grading database? It was thinking it might be a useful enhancement.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

John Upham
Posts: 4157
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Autocomplete / Live search

Post by John Upham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 am

This is a good idea Michael and if Ajax functionality was enabled on the form then auto completion could follow...

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5659
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Autocomplete / Live search

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:53 am

Michael Bennett wrote:Hi Carl. I was wondering - have you considered putting an autocomplete or live search on the form fields we use to search the grading database? It was thinking it might be a useful enhancement.
The design of the site is generally poor to be honest, the "search" boxes should be part of the page header so you could do a secondary search without returning to the home page

The list of things that needs doing is quite long!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Bennett
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Autocomplete / Live search

Post by Michael Bennett » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

John Upham wrote:This is a good idea Michael and if Ajax functionality was enabled on the form then auto completion could follow...
I think this might be reasonably straightforward using jQuery ?

Carl Hibbard wrote:The design of the site is generally poor to be honest, the "search" boxes should be part of the page header so you could do a secondary search without returning to the home page

The list of things that needs doing is quite long!
Well, ok, point taken. But if you'd like a hand with putting autocompletes on those search boxes, I'd be happy to help when I have some spare time (as long as it's possible to use jQuery). That would be something that could be done pretty quickly to make the site even more friendly to use.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Locked