Rapidplay Grades
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 pm
Sometime this weekend before anyone else asks!
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://www.ecforum.org.uk/
The new grading list has now gone liveCarl Hibbard wrote:Sometime this weekend before anyone else asks!
The rapid play rating is the average performance in up to six half-year grading periods.Rob Thompson wrote:How this has happened is beyond me
Not according to this (http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/help.php#notes) with my bolding:Roger de Coverly wrote:The rapid play rating is the average performance in up to six half-year grading periods.
ECF Grading Website wrote:The Grade is calculated by dividing the total number of points scored by the number of games played. If there are at least 30 games in the current period, then the Grade is based on these games alone. If there are not, results are brought forward from the previous period to make the total up to exactly thirty. If there are not 30 games in the two seasons together, results are taken from the season before that. Games are never taken from further back than this; the maximum is two prior grading periods.
Results are brought forward in two different ways, depending whether the Grade is Rapid or Standard. With Rapidplay, any games brought forward from a previous period will be the most recent games in that period. This is possible because the dates of Rapid games are (almost) always known. With Standardplay, unfortunately, this is not the case. So, instead, the required number of (notional) games is brought forward at the average score for the period.
Sean, I have also seem to have become ungraded.Sean Hewitt wrote:I appear to have become ungraded. Which is odd, because although I haven't played a rapid game in the last 6 months I played 6 in the previous 6 months and 47 in the previous year!
If, like many players, you just play one or two rapidplay tournaments in a year, you will total less than thirty games over three years, so the date of the event doesn't matter.Ian Thompson wrote: With Rapidplay, any games brought forward from a previous period will be the most recent games in that period. This is possible because the dates of Rapid games are (almost) always known. With Standardplay, unfortunately, this is not the case. So, instead, the required number of (notional) games is brought forward at the average score for the period.
The 2009 British Rapidplay was presumably included in the Jan 2010 list. So if you have nil new games in the July 2010 list and nil in the Jan 2011 list, then presumably you become ungraded.Alan Walton wrote: but because I haven't played a QP game since the British QP 2009 it might be correct
The system takes account of dates but not rounds. If you need n games from a given date, it will take n games at the average performance for that date. It may or may not distinguish between the different days of (say) a two-day congress. The grader may have dated the games exactly or he may have pretended they all took place on the first day. In the former case, the system will give precedence to games played on the second day.Roger de Coverly wrote: Suppose in a three year period, you played six tournaments, the sequence being 5 rounds, 6 rounds, 6 rounds, 6 rounds, 6 rounds, 5 rounds, in total 34 games. To make 30, do you just take the last round game from the first tournament, or one fifth of the performance in that tournament?
Not true, Sean. Your most recent graded Rapidplay game was on 1st October 2009, which noticeably predates both of the 6-month periods you mention. With 0 games in the latest 12 months you are correctly ungraded.Sean Hewitt wrote:I appear to have become ungraded. Which is odd, because although I haven't played a rapid game in the last 6 months I played 6 in the previous 6 months and 47 in the previous year!
I played the Bury rapidplay in December 2009.Richard Haddrell wrote:Not true, Sean. Your most recent graded Rapidplay game was on 1st October 2009, which noticeably predates both of the 6-month periods you mention. With 0 games in the latest 12 months you are correctly ungraded.Sean Hewitt wrote:I appear to have become ungraded. Which is odd, because although I haven't played a rapid game in the last 6 months I played 6 in the previous 6 months and 47 in the previous year!
Richard
To be fair - it's the same as standard play where you become ungraded if you don't play a game in the one year grading period.Alan Walton wrote:It does seem strange that you lose your rapidplay rating if you don't play a game within two 6 month periods, this seems very short. I would have expected to be ungraded if I haven't played within a two-year period