Beta XML Interface

Request amendments or pass comments on this free service.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Beta XML Interface

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

mleonard wrote:What is the status of this SOAP interface?
I can access the test server (e.g. to fetch a list of club names), but I'm not getting any results back for individual players.
If this was put live can you provide the URL/URI?
I am in the process of re-writing the grading site at this moment, so I would not recommend using the interface as this time as all is currently changing!

Sorry :o
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 pm

mleonard wrote:What is the status of this SOAP interface?
I can access the test server (e.g. to fetch a list of club names), but I'm not getting any results back for individual players.
If this was put live can you provide the URL/URI?
Still hasn't gone live, probably because a lack of use / demand. It's nice to see someone other than me wanting to use it.

Carl needs to run a script on the database to make it work on the Beta site. Drop him a PM -shouldn't take long to get working again.

Malcolm Peacock

Post by Malcolm Peacock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Just out of interest, what would you be using it for?

I actually have the ECF grading data in my online chess match results site, and I was curious to see how the drupal soap service module worked, so I set one up. The php code you would need to access it is below.

Code: Select all

<?php

$sc = new SoapClient("http://mpeacock.demon.co.uk/dspare2/services/soap/wsdl");

$param1['name'] = 'Peacock';
$result = $sc->__soapCall('ecfdata.players', $param1);

// print result
print var_dump($result)."\n";

?>
If anyone is interested, we could then figure out if I am allowed to do this, how much traffic there would be and what other services you would want.
(no point me doing it though if Carl already has)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 pm

I am still investigating the rather larger database and history that I have at my disposal now but it is still a little early to comment further
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:03 am

Malcolm Peacock wrote:Just out of interest, what would you be using it for?

I actually have the ECF grading data in my online chess match results site, and I was curious to see how the drupal soap service module worked, so I set one up. The php code you would need to access it is below...

If anyone is interested, we could then figure out if I am allowed to do this, how much traffic there would be and what other services you would want.
(no point me doing it though if Carl already has)
The SOAP interface is fully documented and has been in beta for years. There is example client code in PHP, Java and javascript. We got permission from the ECF to produce it.

I use it for grading my results at westlondonchess.com. If I am missing a grade for a new player, I use the API to automatically download it. I hope to use the javascript library to help enter results if/when it finally goes live.

Malcolm Peacock

Post by Malcolm Peacock » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:44 pm

nice web site westlondonchess.com

I would have probably used the SOAP interface myself, if it hadn't been beta, but I had already loaded the dbase file I get through being a grader into MySQL (its now a drupal module), so it didn't seem worth changing. If it was available and stable I wouldn't need to keep uploading grading updates.