Shreyas Royal game

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Chris Rice

Shreyas Royal game

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I work with Chris Ward at a school in Dulwich and when I met him today he was just finishing off annotating a game by England's brightest junior prospect, Shreyas Royal, which features below. Played in Warwickshire a few days ago, 9 year old Shreyas, the UK's youngest ever CM and surely a future England number 1, carves up an experienced opponent, Black side of a Dragon. Apologies to Roger, but its because I know how strong Roger is that makes this game so impressive. Chris W didn't know which round it actually was but hopefully Roger can fill in the blanks:

Roger de Coverly

Re: Shreyas Royal game

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 pm

It was Round 2

I didn't get an opportunity to look at his games beforehand, but it was a reasonable guess that he would play the Dragon given that he's from Kent and Chris Ward is a Kent coach. I don't believe the Yugoslav Attack is mate, but White should maintain a decent position. Arguably I ran out of theory at move 15. Punting 15. g4 is a usual idea, but difficult to assess unless you can recall a detailed sequence. You have to know 13 Kb1 and 14 Bg5 (or vice versa) but otherwise it's a tabiya that's easy to reach.

The critical position is this one

According to an engine I should decline the immediate offer of the d6 pawn and first nudge the Rook with Qd3. That's supposedly just equal. I had totally overlooked the .. Re4 idea after which there's no defence. Ironically the idea of playing f5 was to not allow .. Rxf4
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm

I guess this will be available to readers of Chris W's column at chesspublishing in his update this month!

Paul

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm
I guess this will be available to readers of Chris W's column at chesspublishing in his update this month!

Paul
Yes it will be Paul. Pretty amazing that a 9 year old will be adding to the theory of the Dragon.