Glorney Faber Cup

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Glorney Faber Cup

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Just managed to get some names out of someone: Anna (Wang, presumably?), Sheila Dines and Lateefah Messam-Sparks are playing for England in the Faber Cup. I'm not sure how reliable the source is, but it's better than nothing.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:30 pm

My guess is that if it is an Anna it will be Anna Egorova.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 pm

That would make more sense, actually, given it's an Under 18 event...

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I think Anna Ergorova now has an Anglicised surname, but i may be mistaken
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Her name for Woodbridge school has change to Anna York-Andersen 149 http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/schoolsres.htm

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:24 pm

I must say that as a British person who has a non-British sounding name, I don't understand why you'd Anglicise your name. Seems to cut away your ancestry somewhat. Ah well, each to their own. Looks like a strong England team for it though; surely good enough to beat Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I must say that as a British person who has a non-British sounding name, I don't understand why you'd Anglicise your name.
So that you don't have to constantly get annoyed about people neither being able to spell or pronounce it correctly. Just remember, it's your decision...

George Tunstall

Post by George Tunstall » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm actually playing at/for the Glorney Cup. Here is an update so far.

The team (U18) is: 1. David Grant 2. William Jones 3. Elliot Auckland 4. George Tunstall 5. Michael Rabbite

In the first round: England beat Wales 4.5 - 0.5. Scotland and Ireland drew 2.5 - 2.5.

In the second round: England beat Ireland 4 - 1 and Wales and Scotland were still playing

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I must say that as a British person who has a non-British sounding name, I don't understand why you'd Anglicise your name.
So that you don't have to constantly get annoyed about people neither being able to spell or pronounce it correctly. Just remember, it's your decision...
I agree entirely that it's your decision. :)

I just mispronounce other people's names back if they mispronounce mine. Just to be obtuse, mind.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:22 pm

George Tunstall wrote:I'm actually playing at/for the Glorney Cup. Here is an update so far.

The team (U18) is: 1. David Grant 2. William Jones 3. Elliot Auckland 4. George Tunstall 5. Michael Rabbite

In the first round: England beat Wales 4.5 - 0.5. Scotland and Ireland drew 2.5 - 2.5.

In the second round: England beat Ireland 4 - 1 and Wales and Scotland were still playing
Thanks. It's a little sad that it's taken until this stage just to find out who is playing in the English team. We look nailed down to win it. :)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
I agree entirely that it's your decision. :)

I just mispronounce other people's names back if they mispronounce mine. Just to be obtuse, mind.
The English education system may not be up to much these days, but a failure to teach Polish pronounciation is, I think, not the foremost evidence of its limitations!

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:36 pm

George Tunstall wrote:I'm actually playing at/for the Glorney Cup. Here is an update so far.

Well done George!!! :D :D

Your posting is very much appreciated, don't get into bother with your coach or the organisers but post again with more information if you can BUT remember your preparation and rest time is also very important.
All the very best with your chess.

Peter Turner

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Full results are now on the internet on the links given above.

Susan Owens

Post by Susan Owens » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:04 am

The Glorney Gilbert & Four Nations results are on the WCU website.

http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/index.html

I am not there so Peter is sending me the information.

Can anyone tell me how to get it higher in the list when people search ?

Susan
Webmaster WCU

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 am

The results are up on the website and the games have been inputted, so should appear shortly. The event is decided on 'game points' (so a 4-1 win and a 2.5-2.5 draw scores more than two 3-2 victories). I don't really like this system and it might prove to be somewhat unfair when the teams are of very varying strengths.