3rd Weekend Masterclass (8-9 May) now accepting entries

National developments, strategies and ideas.
TimWall

3rd Weekend Masterclass (8-9 May) now accepting entries

Post by TimWall » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Interactive chess coaching delivered online by experienced trainers GM Glenn Flear (England); GM Alexander Raetsky (Russia); IM Andrew Martin (England); FM Tim Wall (England).
Due to demand from various age groups, the Masterclasses have now been expanded to cover juniors (Under 18 on 1/9/20) and adult students in separate groups.
Eight hours of lessons, plus Queen’s Gambit thematic training tournament, preparation exercises and individual post-course feedback. Up to 12 students per class. Participants should have a FIDE or National/Estimated Rating of 1000-2200.
Lessons include:
(Day 1)
- The King Hunt
- Magical Endgame Studies
- Dynamic Pawn Play
- The Minority Attack
(Day 2)
- Checkmate in the Opening
- Developing Visualisation Skills
- Rampaging Rooks
- Learn from the Classics: Jose Raul Capablanca
Thematic Training Tournament on Tornelo.com - Starting after the moves 1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 cxd5 exd5.
6 rounds of rapidplay (10 mins plus 5 seconds) - 3 rounds per day, in groups of up to 12 players.
All enquiries welcome to: [email protected]
Attachments
May 2021 3rd Weekend Chess Masterclass brochure.pdf
(144.02 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

TimWall

Re: 3rd Weekend Masterclass (8-9 May) now accepting entries

Post by TimWall » Wed May 05, 2021 3:49 pm

Unfortunately, this weekend's upcoming Masterclass has been cancelled, due to low student numbers. Participants are being refunded in full.
The low takeup may be due to various factors, including the ending of lockdown restrictions, schoolwork pressures or other uncertainties. But one thing seems clear - junior players are very keen to restart OTB chess.
I would like to reiterate my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation. It does underscore the difficulties of organising events with so many uncertainties in our current situation.
I hope to make a positive announcement about future weekend coaching events (OTB and online) in the near future.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed May 05, 2021 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear of the cancellation; but delighted to hear that people are looking forward to real chess, which has to be over the board in my opinion.

TimWall

Post by TimWall » Fri May 07, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks, Nick. I think various factors were involved. Schoolwork is particularly intensive for many juniors right now, and also everyone is really looking forward to OTB chess restarting.
I have posted elsewhere (in general news) about the announcement I hope to make very soon about the 2021 Northumbria Masters.
This will be going ahead at a new venue, Marriott MetroCentre in Gateshead, on 26-30 August.
Final details are being worked out, and should be published by 17 May at the latest.