News

National developments, strategies and ideas.
J T Melsom

Re: News

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 pm

So when the organisation providing these useful services then issues press releases calling for the removal of an ECF director, how do you feel?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm
I am simply not seeing (in the two meetings that have occurred) any plots to take over.
I expect we just await developments and if there should be contested elections at the next AGM whether EJCOA members who are also voting members of the ECF Council will be asked to support a particular candidate or candidates. You don't actually need an alternative candidate to unseat an existing director, but that needs a majority of the Council voters to decide that enough is enough regardless. It's happened a handful of times in the relatively short lifetime of the ECF.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm

It is a very strange world. Note the press releases were not personal just about standing candidates.
HDCA President

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:57 am

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm
It is a very strange world. Note the press releases were not personal just about standing candidates.
I am sorry to be pedantic, but the press release was about standing a candidate (singular) for the Director of Junior Chess position. That seems now to have been rowed back on after fruitful discussions between the EJCOA and the 'Chairman of the ECF Board' who I guess is Mike Truran,

That raises raises an interesting question because we have seen that the Deputy Chairman of the EJCOA, Tim Wall is vehemently opposed to Mike Truran and wants to see him removed from Office. I would be very surprised if that was a view widely shared within rank and file EJCOA members, but we don't know if that is a view held by other upper echelon officials.

The ECJOA is a new organisation which is doing some good work. I think it got it wrong on announcing standing a candidate for the Director of Junior Chess position, but hey organisations starting up and doing new things will get things wrong from time to time. It appears they have backtracked which I think is positive.

None of us know how the EJCOA will develop going forward, but lets be positive when warranted and questioning when we think they are taking the wrong course.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:23 am

For information: Mike Truran is the Chief Executive. The Chairman of the Board is Julian Clissold

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am

I did try to look that up before posting but I couldn't see it listed anywhere

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/ecf-officials/

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:11 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:57 am
but lets be positive when warranted and questioning when we think they are taking the wrong course.
Who is "we"?

Who is "they"?

Are you proposing or suggesting an alignment of views?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am

There he is, Non-Executive Chairman.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:25 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am
So he is, my mistake

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:36 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:25 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am
So he is, my mistake
Yes, it is rather inconspicuously placed at the end of row 3! Perhaps somewhat inappropriate for a chairman.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:10 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am
I did try to look that up before posting but I couldn't see it listed anywhere

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/ecf-officials/
Non-Executive Chairman
Julian Clissold
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
I am sorry to be pedantic, but the press release was about standing a candidate (singular) for the Director of Junior Chess position. That seems now to have been rowed back on after fruitful discussions between the EJCOA and the 'Chairman of the ECF Board' who I guess is Mike Truran,

That raises raises an interesting question because we have seen that the Deputy Chairman of the EJCOA, Tim Wall is vehemently opposed to Mike Truran and wants to see him removed from Office. I would be very surprised if that was a view widely shared within rank and file EJCOA members, but we don't know if that is a view held by other upper echelon officials.
Yes, Tim is opposed to Mike, but it isn't just him is it? It seems that the CSC crew are opposed to Mike; I'm not sure why Malcolm Pein is against him, and why he wants him removed
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:44 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am
Matthew Turner wrote:

Yes, Tim is opposed to Mike, but it isn't just him is it? It seems that the CSC crew are opposed to Mike; I'm not sure why Malcolm Pein is against him, and why he wants him removed
Should CSC be added to the grouping labelled earlier as "they"?

Are all users of this place part of the "we" nexus / cabal ?

I'm informed that the Governance Committee will be discussing the impact of allegiances, alignments and similar concepts.

The key question could revolve around the possibility of knowing people and not being biased in their favour.
Last edited by John Upham on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:46 am

John,
I apologise for not responding to you earlier, but I have absolutely no idea what you are banging on about.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:50 am

It is confusing. Let's just play some chess.
HDCA President