News

National developments, strategies and ideas.
LawrenceCooper

Re: News

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 pm

https://ejcoa.co.uk/news/discussions-wi ... tKMfMwRtlg

The English Junior Coaches and Organisers Association (EJCOA) has published a statement on its website as follows:
Discussions with ECF Board Chair and Non-Executive Directors
29 July 2021
'In the light of discussions taking place with the Chair of the ECF Board and the Non-Executive Directors addressing our concerns, EJCOA is reviewing its previous decision to stand a candidate against the Director of Junior Chess and Education, Alex Holowczak, at the forthcoming ECF Annual General Meeting.'

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 pm

It is good people are talking.
HDCA President

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:35 pm

In itself, that sounds a sensible decision. However, the "concerns" [and it's far from clear that these are widely shared outside a nucleus of EJCOA members] presumably still remain, in which case the symptoms have disappeared but the disease is still with us.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm

I think the EJCOA is effectively acting as a Union for titled/professional players - an English version of the PCA if you like. It seems that they have secured concessions and concerns have been (at least in part) allayed.
I think there can be a place for that in English Chess and it will be interesting to see if this is how the organisation develops.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm
... an English version of the PCA if you like ...
Do you mean the ACP (Association of Chess Professionals)?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:43 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
... an English version of the PCA if you like ...
Do you mean the ACP (Association of Chess Professionals)?
Yep, that would be the one.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
I think the EJCOA is effectively acting as a Union for titled/professional players - an English version of the PCA if you like.
I thought the ACP would claim to be able to represent all professionals involved with chess, those with some or all of their earnings chess related. That would extend beyond those involved with junior training which I understood was EJCOA's remit.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:43 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
I think the EJCOA is effectively acting as a Union for titled/professional players - an English version of the PCA if you like. It seems that they have secured concessions and concerns have been (at least in part) allayed.
I think there can be a place for that in English Chess and it will be interesting to see if this is how the organisation develops.
Many years ago, Andrew Martin - he who started this thread - was one of the founder members of the Association of British Chessmasters.

I lost track of what happened to that organisation.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:47 am

That was a long time ago David, late 1980’s if I recall. You have an excellent memory. I’m struggling to remember what happened , but I think it was the sheer individuality of strong chess players that made it very difficult to get them to agree on anything and work together for change. The group needed organisers organising the group :)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 am

"but I think it was the sheer individuality of strong chess players that made it very difficult to get them to agree on anything and work together for change. "

Good point, and I got the impression from attendance at many AGMs and committee meetings, that you don't have to be a strong player to do that... Stupidity is a great leveller.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:41 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
I think the EJCOA is effectively acting as a Union for titled/professional players - an English version of the PCA if you like.
I thought the ACP would claim to be able to represent all professionals involved with chess, those with some or all of their earnings chess related. That would extend beyond those involved with junior training which I understood was EJCOA's remit.
Well, yes, call me stupid if you like but I somehow thought what started as EJOG [aka "English Junior Organisers Group"] and morphed into EJCOA [aka "English Junior Coaches and Organisers Association"] was what those names implied rather than "effectively acting as a Union for titled/professional players" as Matthew believes.

Maybe I read too much into the statement that "This association has been set up to provide a focal point for junior organisers and coaches". I'll give it credit for work on the coaching side, although I'm less clear how it has acted as a focal point for organisers, but I'm much less happy about its use of Tim Wall as an attack dog - I'm unclear over the identity of the dog's handler - on ECF directors and possibly others who, in the opinion of many, are doing a good job. That, frankly, isn't why I joined.

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Evening
I will make one comment and leave. EJCOA is for all coaches and organisers not just the ones who are professional. Regards Rob

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks, Rob, the clarification's useful. But, if you're reading the thread, you'll also have detected a certain amount of unease [others might put it a little more strongly] about certain EJCOA pronouncements and, in particular, statements made by its Vice-Chair.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 pm

RobWillmoth wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm
Evening
Is it just me imagining a silent "internet rabble"?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm

I joined EJCOA for the support in coaching and organisation. I am simply not seeing (in the two meetings that have occurred) any plots to take over. I have attended a very useful course and received ideas on how to operate better in the club scene. Presently very junior focussed.
HDCA President