Richmond Juniors Summer

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Paul McKeown

Richmond Juniors Summer

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Running Richmond Junior Chess Club for a long time now, my memory is always that the happiest part of a busy calendar is the Summer Camp.

Hot Summer days, dozens of excited and enthusiastic young players, a great competition to engineer the most improbable sandwich for lunch and some off time kicking a ball. It’s absolutely my favourite time. This year in particular, of course, because we are only now starting to come out of the restrictions imposed to combat this dreadful Covid pandemic which has hurt so many.

I am delighted, therefore, to announce our Summer Camp, and to offer first refusal to all who have taken part in our online courses for the past four terms.

We will be returning to Orleans Park School, Richmond Road, TWICKENHAM TW1 3BB for the following dates:
  • Week 1 – Tuesday 3 August to Friday 6 August
  • Week 2 – Monday 9 August to Friday 13 August
Our Summer Camp will run each day from 10:00 a.m. through to 4 p.m. Drop-off can be arranged from 9:00 a.m. and pick-up can be held until 5 p.m. if necessary. During the mornings we hold our usual high quality classes giving extensive instruction in chess to children grouped by chess playing standard (Advanced, Intermediate, Beginners & Novices). Then from 12:30 to 13:30, we have a break. Lunches are fetched for the children from quality local suppliers (e.g. a sandwich of choice, fruit, some crisps, a drink and perhaps something for the sweet tooth, too). Close attention is naturally paid to cultural restrictions, and of course to any allergies. There is an opportunity to kick a ball or chat with friends during the break, too. In the afternoons, rated competitive games are played, with full analysis by Richmond Junior’s expert staff.

Class sizes are unfortunately restricted due to the continuing need to combat the pandemic, and we will have to strictly limit the number of children that can be signed.

Get in touch if you are interested in signing up a child for either week.