Junior Chess Magazines?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Junior Chess Magazines?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:We can also add in the further £6,000 for development costs for 2010/11.
My £0 is cheap then :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu May 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:We can also add in the further £6,000 for development costs for 2010/11.
My £0 is cheap then :)
You could be cheaper than £0 and pay the ECF for your services. :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Or by trying to stop people taking money they don't deserve?

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 pm

You will have to be very specific on this one Matthew. Exactly who is taking money they do not deserve and what amounts are you referring to? This is a serious claim. Please give precise details.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Andy,
Elliott Morley claiming mortgage payments two years after his mortgage had been paid off. Why who did you think I was referring to?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 20, 2010 7:26 pm

With no tendering process people should have the right to ask if the cost of the software (unknown...) justifies the quality (good or bad...) of what has been produced?
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight edit to better express what I meant to say
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu May 20, 2010 8:03 pm

I feel there are two distinct issues going forward here

1. What tendering/oversight/appraisal systems should the ECF have over a project of this size?

I have confidence that the current Board will do a good job on this. However, this is not my main point of interest

2. What will happen with the CoM. I think there are two possibilities. Firstly, there is the ID card route, lots of expensive software, never really works, total disaster. However, I think we have a real chance for the Concorde route, not a financial sucess, but a real piece of engineering achievement and something significant to be proud of.

How do we get to Concorde? The first thing is to admit that the CoM will not make a profit. Lets instead use it as a way of promoting chess (after all that is part of the reason the government give us a grant). Lets allow School to take the test for free (there can still be an income to ECF in terms of the sales of accompanying materials, perhaps badges and certificates as well). Imagine the pitch to LV, you are supporting this free scheme that is going to all Schools - that should get their juices flowing.

Well that is what I think should happen, but we probably need to start by being honest about where we are at the moment.