Cheshire / North Wales Celebration Day

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Camp

Cheshire / North Wales Celebration Day

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 am

Sunday 13th June - Frodsham Community Centre.

After a successful year where our Under 9s came third in the Northern Zonal and 10th in the Finals; and our U11s also won through to their National Finals, we had our celebration day to mark the end of the season.

We split the kids up into 3 teams: A: North Wales/Wirral B: Cheshire North and C: Cheshire South.

Over 60 kids played 3 matches each and the North Wales team came out on top with 37.5 points. I'm also proud to say that over 70% of the North Wales team was made up of kids from my school.

Prizes were awarded to those kids who had performed well over the year for county and at National level. Our county currently has the British Champion at Under 8 level (girls) and the English Champion at Under 8 level (also girls). These two are very strong and there is little to separate them as their many draws when playing each other seems to suggest.

A great day.
Last edited by Andrew Camp on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Andrew Camp

Re: Cheshire / North Wales Celebration Day

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Well I don't run the CNW teams. I'm Head of Chess in my Prep School and we feed players through to the county system. I also go along to help out.

Having said that, I am entering a team of 9 year olds from my school into next year's 4NCL Junior comp.
[email protected]

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Bob Clark wrote:Hi Andrew.
I was thinking more of the local evening league. The Chester and District league could certainly do with some new young players.
I'll pass this on to George Davison and George Scattergood.
[email protected]

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:
Bob Clark wrote:Hi Andrew.
I was thinking more of the local evening league. The Chester and District league could certainly do with some new young players.
I'll pass this on to George Davison and George Scattergood.
George and George have nothing to do with the Chester and District League.

Assuming you attend Colwyn Bay chess club, have the club ever considered entering a (mostly) junior 3rd team into division 3? Though I can imagine away games could be tricky. We did have some point have a Division 4 which was junior only. Games were shorter and started earlier. Initially there were 4 clubs entering teams but eventually this whittled down to just Chester Juniors and Buckley/Mold Juniors playing a 6 game play off until BM withdrew. The Chester juniors played a season in division 3 in the Chester League before moving to Division 3 in the Wirral League.

Back in my day (mid to late 90s) there were quite a few teams putting out decent mostly junior sides in the Wirral League, such as Chester, Frodsham and Wallasey. However there is now disappointingly few amount of juniors playing in either league. I think there were only 4 juniors who played in the Chester League last season.