ECF Coaching web site

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

ECF Coaching web site

Post by John Upham » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 am

The new ECF Coaching web site may be found at

http://www.ecfcoaching.org.uk/

and includes the definitive list of accredited coaches plus Centres of Excellence plus much more.

I manage this site under the direction of IM Andrew Martin, Manager of Coaching.

Feedback is welcome!

John :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:32 am

Interested in the definitive list....

I remember gaining a regional coach qualification (at a weekend event with John Littlewood) several years ago...is this still valid?? I had a badge and everything..

Could you let me know how to get my name on the 'official' list again?

Regards,

Paul D.

John Upham

Being listed

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:11 am

Paul,
To become listed you need to contact IM Andrew Martin at

[email protected]

and he will then request me to add to the list.

Regards, John :D
Last edited by John Upham on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:51 pm

I am very much interested in learning how to coach juniors when I become inelligible for junior tournaments as of september 1st 2007 when I am too old to participate anymore. I would love to still be involved in junior chess for many years to come, and I am unsure of who to talk to about this. Could you point me in the right direction? Thank You
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Contact Andrew, ECF Manager of Coaching as per a previous post.

John Upham, ECF Coaching Web Manager.

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Okay, Thank you
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

John Upham

Re: ECF Coaching web site : updated

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:01 am

We have updated the list of ECF Accredited coaches to add several new ones and to delist others. Reasons for delisting include :
  • Request to be delisted by coach
  • Expiry of CRB clearance
  • Some other reason!
The list of ECF Centres of Excellence continues to expand....but more will be welcome! :D

Please apply! :D

Andrew and John

andrew martin

Re: ECF Coaching web site

Post by andrew martin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 am

Nigel,

Probably the first thing I would look at if I was assessing your suitablity to work with children would be the reference to drinking underneath your name.

Andrew

JamesMurphy

Post by JamesMurphy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:50 pm

I tried emailing [email protected] regarding ECF accredited chess coaching but the mailbox quota appears to be full.

Is there anyone who can let Andrew know, or if he's reading this just to let you know your mailbox is full!
http://www.jmblogger.com - My blog, chess, film and life
http://www.chorltonchess.com - the Home of Chorlton Chess Club

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:15 pm

JamesMurphy wrote:I tried emailing [email protected] regarding ECF accredited chess coaching but the mailbox quota appears to be full.

Is there anyone who can let Andrew know, or if he's reading this just to let you know your mailbox is full!
James,

Indeed, this email alias seems to attract more spam than any other I have known. Most of the spam concerned offers to have something enlarged either on a temporary or permanent basis! :lol:

In the mean while please use [email protected] which should reach Andrew.
Last edited by John Upham on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Within reason I am prepared to allow people to have email addresses through here to relay onto other addresses if they prefer not to quote their real email address on the forum - so for example "[email protected]" relayed to somewhere else

PM me if so...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:44 pm

On this matter of email addresses, aliases, mailboxes full...

I've noticed that the new-style online ECF Calendar has reverted to 'mailto' links for email addresses after previously using javascript to provide a modicum of spam-proofing. This is a retrograde step. Organisers whose email addresses appear on the ECF website can expect to receive a lot more spam as a result. And people who place straight email addresses on this forum (i.e. [email protected] rather than a circumvention such as fred (at) aol dot com) presumably run the same risk. Am I wrong? Perhaps someone with more techie knowledge than me can comment.

I suppose we all have to expect some spam. But when using an email alias for a prominent email address which is likely to be published widely, doesn't it make sense to point it to an underlying email address that comes with an efficient spam filter and which doesn't count spam as part of an overall mailbox quota? Googlemail seems to work pretty well, and (of the pay-for email addresses) BT is significantly better than the lamentable Tiscali in this regard. I've noticed that other people's AOL mailboxes seem to fill up more than most. Perhaps techies can also comment on this or quote other free email providers which are suitable for such a task.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:03 pm

John Saunders wrote:I suppose we all have to expect some spam. But when using an email alias for a prominent email address which is likely to be published widely, doesn't it make sense to point it to an underlying email address that comes with an efficient spam filter and which doesn't count spam as part of an overall mailbox quota? Googlemail seems to work pretty well, and (of the pay-for email addresses) BT is significantly better than the lamentable Tiscali in this regard. I've noticed that other people's AOL mailboxes seem to fill up more than most. Perhaps techies can also comment on this or quote other free email providers which are suitable for such a task.
GMail is pretty good both to use and on the spam filtering front, that would be my current recommendation

I do however quote various of my email addresses (I have a lot...) without much care of the effect that may have - but then I process a lot of mail!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:41 pm

The best way is just to have two or three e-mail addresses. I have a hotmail account that tends to collect lots of spam, random mailing lists and Facebook notifications. I can also use that to talk to people who persist with MSN. Since my MSN client links to that email address, if ever I get notification that it's my move on a chess website, or someone has commented on something, I can open that message within my MSN client without even having to go to hotmail to open my e-mails, which is more convenient, and lets me ignore the e-mails of no interest. Then I have a personal e-mail address with googlemail, and I use that for things that need higher security (I don't trust Microsoft...), such as online banking, Amazon, eBay etc. It's also easier to encrypt with a public/private key system. I also use that for communication with friends, and sending files. Basically, Microsoft gets the junk, which is fitting, I think. :)

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Unfortunately , my ECF email address is now also being bombarded by spam.

I will think of a solution and then let you all know.

Best Wishes, Andrew