Page 1 of 2
U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:51 am
by Nigel Wright
The U18/13 County Championships will be at Heanor Gate Science College, Derbyshire, on Sat 10th May 08.
Sally McIntosh was only supposed to be doing the North Section, but has now been lumped with the whole country. Also, due to Claire Summerscales resignation, even more has been dumped on her plate. If anyone is able to assist, please PM me and I will put you in contact with her, any help will be appreciated. David Welch was apparently going to help as well, but due to his recent resignation, we don't know if he will or not...
Also, I hope all of your counties have entered the competition and we hope to see you there on the day

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:55 am
by Charles W. Wood
Nigel Wright wrote:The U18/13 County Championships will be at Heanor Gate Science College, Derbyshire, on Sat 10th May 08.
Sally McIntosh was only supposed to be doing the North Section, but has now been lumped with the whole country. Also, due to Claire Summerscales resignation, even more has been dumped on her plate. If anyone is able to assist, please PM me and I will put you in contact with her, any help will be appreciated. David Welch was apparently going to help as well, but due to his recent resignation, we don't know if he will or not...
Also, I hope all of your counties have entered the competition and we hope to see you there on the day

Sally has done a great job. I wish I could through my hat into the ring but I have a Tournament to run myself (my team) the next day. I do hope its good as quite a few of the kids we coach are going.
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:08 am
by Nigel Wright
That's good. Maybe you could mention a few of their names and if I get a chance inbetween Arbiting duties maybe I could ask them their opinion of you, Charles?
(Obviously I don't mean mention their names publicly, I'm aware of the Child Protection issues...)

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:26 am
by Charles W. Wood
Nigel Wright wrote:That's good. Maybe you could mention a few of their names and if I get a chance inbetween Arbiting duties maybe I could ask them their opinion of you, Charles?
(Obviously I don't mean mention their names publicly, I'm aware of the Child Protection issues...)

Yorkshire Girls and Yorkshire under 13's.
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:31 am
by Nigel Wright
Okey dokey. It's a shame I won't have the chance to meet you Charles, as I'm sure we'd get along like a house on fire...

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:34 am
by Charles W. Wood
Nigel Wright wrote:Okey dokey. It's a shame I won't have the chance to meet you Charles, as I'm sure we'd get along like a house on fire...

I was hoping to go, but there will be other events and you will always be welcome if you come to one of my events, bring some of yours students. Either will happen someday.
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:39 pm
by Nigel Wright
Yeah, sounds good. I was going to ask you if I would ever be welcome to play in one of your U25 tournaments, as it sounds like it would be an interesting experience for me

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:39 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Nigel Wright wrote:Yeah, sounds good. I was going to ask you if I would ever be welcome to play in one of your U25 tournaments, as it sounds like it would be an interesting experience for me

Doing anything this Sunday?
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:43 pm
by Nigel Wright
Unfortunately yes. I'm working and helping some friends move house...

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 pm
by Charles W. Wood
Nigel Wright wrote:Unfortunately yes. I'm working and helping some friends move house...

Ah well, thats the next event. Next one is in 2 months.
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:47 pm
by Neill Cooper
Nigel - How did it go?
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:04 am
by Nigel Wright
Very smoothly, only issue was that even though there were more counties in the U18's than last year's pitiful 3, it's disgusting that more counties didn't enter. I'll get all the full results and all the "thanks to so and so" posted on here as soon as I can, I'm just a little occupied at the minute...
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:33 pm
by Paul Stimpson
Nigel,
it's disgusting that more counties didn't enter
Essex had u11's in Liverpool and an u12-u18 Megafinal the same day!
We would have loved to have sent at least an u13 team, but there was no chance with these two events going on.
Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:16 pm
by Nigel Wright
Yeah, I can understand that, I'd never want to take kids away from the UK chess challenge!

It's just that most megafinals are the last weekend of april or the first weekend of may

Re: U18/13 County Championships 2008
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:56 pm
by Neill Cooper
.. and Surrey had about 40 players unavailable due to GCSE/A level exams, and various other commitments.
Good to hear that 19 teams played. I think it must be quite a while since that many played.
Congratulatiosn to Kent who I hear won both the ECF U18 and EPSCA U11 on the same day!