An ECF Junior Squad

National developments, strategies and ideas.
andrew martin

Re: An ECF Junior Squad

Post by andrew martin » Tue May 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Much as I would like to, my personal circumstances make this impossible. I just do not have the time to commit to it, but of course, I will support in the usual way if needed.

If not and the new JD wants to bring in different faces, then that's also fine of course.

Paul, I'll talk to Peter about it. His input based on the experience of the last few years might be valuable in formulating future policy.

I am not sure he will attend though.....

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi all, Paul, yes I can co-ordinate if you like, but there will become a debate as to who to invite. I think that 15 is a decent number. If you could all PM me, I will send out a group email. I will also email Peter Purland to see if he is interested in coming along also.

Andrew, I hope you are not thinking we are doing anything behind Peter's back. I just suggested people have a meeting because junior chess has been discussed at length on the forum, but it will be quicker and easier in person. I just thought it would be a nice idea to document all the parents and others' ideas officially. If Peter cannot or does not want to attend, I will be sure to forward him notes about the meeting.

The meeting is nothing official, just some people getting together to discuss a mutual interest.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed May 11, 2011 8:26 am

Of course I dont think anyone is doing or saying anything behind Peter's back......

I'm happy to come to the meeting to listen and to give my views.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

While looking for something else entirely I rediscovered this very pertinent contribution from Leonard Barden to an earlier thread. His plan for developing elite talent seems as relevant today as it was 40 years ago.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=37535#p37535
Last edited by Steve Rooney on Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Thu May 12, 2011 11:20 am

Steve Rooney wrote:While looking for something else entirely I rediscovered this very pertinent contribution from Leonard Barden to an earlier thread. His plan for developing elite talent seems as relevant today as it was 40 years ago.

One of the things that seems essential to me would be to budget for the work on the comparative grading/ratings similar to that described by Leonard Barden, and pay for it out of squad subscriptions. Relying on volunteer time is too fragile - even with the best will in the world life often intervenes. Is there an expert in the house who could quote for the job?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu May 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Paul Sanders wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote:While looking for something else entirely I rediscovered this very pertinent contribution from Leonard Barden to an earlier thread. His plan for developing elite talent seems as relevant today as it was 40 years ago.

One of the things that seems essential to me would be to budget for the work on the comparative grading/ratings similar to that described by Leonard Barden, and pay for it out of squad subscriptions. Relying on volunteer time is too fragile - even with the best will in the world life often intervenes. Is there an expert in the house who could quote for the job?
Without directly volunteering I calculate the rating performances of a number of junior, adult male and female players anyway as part of being the Director of International Chess so I wouldn't be in a hurry to hand over any money just yet :D

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Hi all, Paul, yes I can co-ordinate if you like, but there will become a debate as to who to invite. I think that 15 is a decent number. If you could all PM me, I will send out a group email.
Is there a quorum? It would be helpful to pin down a time so that people who might be travelling in especially can make their plans. Given Andrew's availability should we try for 11am on Saturday 28th?

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Sorry been busy organising the National Girls Qualifier this weekend. Just getting a gist of what times people can make it ...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Well, I'm guessing this meeting was this morning given the flood of parents asking me what the meeting going on in Training Room 4 was! Can those who were fortunate (?) enough to attend fill in those who were otherwise engaged this morning?

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun May 29, 2011 10:40 am

Minutes will be circulated... None of it was sensitive so I would not think that there would be a reason to withhold minutes from anyone interested, so anyone who wants a copy should probably pm Sabrina.

Sadly none of the ECF directors or officials who had added themselves to the list could attend, apart of course from Sabrina and Jovanka (thank you very much!). However there were parents with children of many different ages and stages of development, so it was a very good opportunity to compare notes.

My impression from the admittedly small group was that if the ECF demonstrated an organisational commitment to junior chess then they would find parents very willing to show support in every way. In other words, an incoming Junior Director should be prepared to execute ECF Junior policy, rather than be an autonomous region.

Of course in order for anything to happen someone needs to make a case to the ECF Board, and it's not at all clear who might be able or willing to do that.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I have written up my mental notes from the meeting, so if anyone who was there would like to correct or add to any of it feel free! Also, a few points were made about information that would be very helpful, to do with ECF governance and also the number of junior members in the ECF, so if any one could help there then this thread is as good a place as any to provide it.

Thanks again to Sabrina for getting us together and providing such a well structured meeting. It might turn out to have been more cathartic than constructive, but it was very welcome nevertheless.
ECF Chess Parents 05-2011.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Paul Sanders wrote:information that would be very helpful ... the number of junior members in the ECF
There are 2596 juniors with published grades (either standard play, rapid play or both); of these 561 are members of the ECF.

Juniors were counted in the grading list by looking for players with an age against their name. Junior members were counted by looking for their ECF grading code in the ECF membership list of 27 May.

There are a small number of people in the membership list (c. 100) who don't have grading codes. I've got no way of determining whether or not any of them are juniors.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: There are 2596 juniors with published grades (either standard play, rapid play or both); of these 561 are members of the ECF.
I got a slightly different answer using the latest available grading download at http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/downloads.php.

Only counting those with a grading age shown and analysing by that age

age number
17 147
16 155
15 164
14 169
13 206
12 268
11 383
10 345
9 340
8 230
7 113
6 31
5 5
4 1

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote: There are 2596 juniors with published grades (either standard play, rapid play or both); of these 561 are members of the ECF.
I got a slightly different answer using the latest available grading download at http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/downloads.php.

Only counting those with a grading age shown and analysing by that age
Our numbers are consistent. I used the latest grading list issued to graders. Comparing it to the one you used, there are 39 players with an age in my list who do not have an age in your list.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: there are 39 players with an age in my list who do not have an age.
Who does one have to apply to to become a player without an age?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D