Queen's Birthday Honour for Schools Chess

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

Queen's Birthday Honour for Schools Chess

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 am

Today's list of Birthdays Honours from the Queen gives the first one for chess for some considerable time :
(nothing for English Chess)

Order of the British Empire
Members of the Order of the British Empire
Stephen TAYLOR, Teacher, Greenwood Academy, North Ayrshire. For services to Schools
Chess.
See http://www.ayrshirechess.co.uk/

I will attempt to contact Stephen Taylor for a story! :D

Perhaps Geoff Chandler can help us out with some background information?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Bielby

Re: Queen's Birthday Honour for Schools Chess

Post by Paul Bielby » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

This is a remarkable piece of news, not just for Stephen Taylor and Greenwood Academy, but for chess in schools everywhere. One must congratulate the Scottish Office or whoever is responsible for showing a degree of imagination that one would be unlikely to find in the English list of awards.

I have met Stephen at intervals over a number of years, mainly at the "International" Schools tournaments run by Syd Cassidy in Carlisle, but also when RGS Newcastle have met Greenwood Academy in the Times Schools competition from time to time. Seen from the South of England, Newcastle and Irvine tend to get put in the same zone! When you meet him Stephen is a typically quiet, modest schoolmaster, but the interest and enthusiasm for the game of chess that he has engendered in successive generations of his pupils is outstanding.
I am delighted for him.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:11 pm

It is very welcome news that someone who has contributed to chess in schools has been honoured. Let us hope that this trend will gather momentum.

I have always had the impression that chess is excellent brain fodder for school children. Michael Gove, please nota bene ! Has it been scientifically established? Is there a resulting improvement in their school performance? Perhaps someone could update us with the latest thinking on this subject?

With best wishes,

John Townsend

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:44 am

John Upham wrote:Today's list of Birthdays Honours from the Queen gives the first one for chess for some considerable time :
(nothing for English Chess)

Order of the British Empire
Members of the Order of the British Empire
Stephen TAYLOR, Teacher, Greenwood Academy, North Ayrshire. For services to Schools
Chess.
See http://www.ayrshirechess.co.uk/

I will attempt to contact Stephen Taylor for a story! :D

Perhaps Geoff Chandler can help us out with some background information?
John, Mike Hanley, [email protected] knows Stephen quite well. Needless to say we are delighted that Stephens efforts over 38 years have been recognised.