Page 1 of 1
Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:38 pm
by Kevin Wilson
In September I am planning to contact all the schools in my local area to try and build up a network of chess activity. Perhaps the different schools and clubs could meet occasionally during the year or attend an end of year competition.
It occurred to me that if a school didn't have a club they might actually think it a good idea to start one. Is there a start up pack a school can apply for? Can they apply for boards and sets from anyone?
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Kevin Wilson wrote:Can they apply for boards and sets from anyone?
There is simply no answer I can give that would do justice to this question.
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 pm
by Kevin Wilson
Jack I can't quite decipher your reply. I'm assuming that there has been some discussion on this subject in the past. I have to admit that I am not an avid forum user, so if you can indulge me with a fuller explanation I would much appreciate that.
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
I was mostly referring to
this. There was much discussion on this forum.
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 pm
by Roger de Coverly
IM Jack Rudd wrote:I was mostly referring to
this. There was much discussion on this forum.
The usual suppliers of chess equipment do special bundles of sets and boards aimed at schools.
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 am
by Neill Cooper
Kevin Wilson wrote:In September I am planning to contact all the schools in my local area to try and build up a network of chess activity. Perhaps the different schools and clubs could meet occasionally during the year or attend an end of year competition.
It occurred to me that if a school didn't have a club they might actually think it a good idea to start one. Is there a start up pack a school can apply for? Can they apply for boards and sets from anyone?
I think you are being a bit over-ambitious. I think the first step is to contact the local schools to find their interest in chess. (Or do you know of quite a few who are already?) In my experience you are much more likely to get individuals from a school to take part in a 'chess festival' than getting school teams to play in a competition (But you can offer prizes for the leading school teams, using their best 3 results). Some schools would value help (particularly if free). The ECF provide guidance on starting a school chess club, but the ill-fated 'Chess sets for school' project never got off teh ground. So they need to be bought for about £50 for 6 sets.
Primary schools will be much more responsive than secondary schools, unless the latter has an enthusiastic teacher.
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 pm
by Paul Bielby
Kevin
The NJCA (Northumbria Junior Chess Association, regd charity no 1048112) has given starter packs (half a dozen sets and boards) to schools in our area for many years. Try asking them. And they would be very pleased to see kids from Darlington take part in NJCA events - for some reason we get relatively few children from down South (i.e. Darlington, Hartlepool) coming to our events, whereas events such as the Yarm Chess Festival are well supported from Tyneside. Incidentally the NJCA is one junior organisation that practises 100% ECF membership for its events (Currently well over 100 children are members (White forms and all) through the Northumberland MO)
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:06 am
by Sabrina Chevannes
What area are you in Kevin? Perhaps Chess in Schools and Communities can help out in some way? See
http://www.chessinschools.co.uk for more info
Re: Chess clubs in schools
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm
by Kevin Wilson
I'm in the North East.
I will inform any schools I come across wanting to set up a club of the CSC. I have discussed this issue with the North East's local CSC rep, he said there could be help for schools interested.