British Championships Chess Coaching

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Alex Holowczak

Re: British Championships Chess Coaching

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Ben Purton wrote:I do not even know who Nick Nixon is.
This is he.

He coaches chess in Leeds according to something I found on the Yorkshire CA website.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:I can only go by the names on the current list, and you are not on it.
I don't think you can discount the possibility that the ECF website may be wrong. For example, it does not list me as an International Arbiter even though

i) I am one http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=404993

ii) I applied for the title through the ECF office

iii) The ECF sent me my IA certificate

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Sabrina,
possibly, like me, you got the enhanced CRB in June 08 when the ECF first demanded it. I just realised (because of this furore) that mine (the ECF one anyway) was out of the 3 year date at the end of June this year. I do, however, still have my Chess Scotland one and the one for my job as a teacher!
I have asked the ECF office to send for a new one for me, just to make sure that the CRB overkill continues.
Best wishes for yours and Jovanka's endeavours, everyone can see that you are trying to make a positive difference.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Ben Purton wrote:I do not even know who Nick Nixon is.
This is he.

He coaches chess in Leeds according to something I found on the Yorkshire CA website.
Hi Ben, Sabrina and all,

This is not about Nick. He is by the way brilliant and a top genius blokey!

This is about offering parents a choice - which is I think, what Ben was trying to say when he spoke about packed lunches.

This is about structure and organisation. It is about the long term. Hopefully there will be many more such Academies in the long term offering this quality of coaching. I love the fact that there are titled players there for parents to choose from. I love that there is choice.

Ultimately, whatever happens here, hopefully Sabrina will succeed in her endeavours, the net result will be that parents will be able to build relationships with Sabrina and her coaches. This will in turn encourage more GMs/IMs/quality coaches to step forward, as well as encourage Sabrina to continue forward (and anyone else interested in doing the same).

Sabrina's structure is very good and applicable to many competitions. It would be lovely if her next step was to actively organise actual training week-ends. She could have children put into groups according to grade and then arrange the appropriate coaches. Eventually, if she then builds her connections, she could have these training week-ends regularly and all over the country.

She could have a National Strategy and build a structured plan to implement such a strategy.

This kind of thing can only be done by somebody with enthusiasm, va va voom and energy. These initial tentative steps that she is taking are the start of a long term process. It is through word of mouth that people will begin to realise what is on offer and how good it is. It will allow her to build her model and to improve on anything which does not work with time.

We do need Sabrina, Jovanka and Keith to continue with what they are doing. Not to become disheartened, but to strive forward. It would be lovely if the ECF were to actively help and support. Parents have been going it alone for a long time now, join the club, I'm afraid.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

I have 7 current CRB certificates! Each school that I teach in want one for their own school so I have several that are up to date! I am faxing one to the ECF office right now. So it is nothing to do with the CRB! It must be some sort of admin error.

And Simon, what I was saying is that you need to read the thread properly, not the list, as it has been mentioned several times that I am indeed CRB checked and accredited and still have the certificate, but you continued to post otherwise afterwards.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 pm

"It must be some sort of admin error." No, surely not an error on the ECF website? :-)

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 pm

And Simon, what I was saying is that you need to read the thread properly, not the list, as it has been mentioned several times that I am indeed CRB checked and accredited and still have the certificate, but you continued to post otherwise afterwards.

Post otherwise in what respect? You brought up the subject of accreditation, I simply pointed out you were not on the ECF list.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:41 pm

No, surely not an error on the ECF website
Impossible, one error! One of a thousand errors I would say. :)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Do we know which agent the ECF Office uses for CRB checking?

I apologise if this is well known or documented elsewhere?

Does the ECF Office allowing proxying from other bodies such as LEAs etc?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Simon Dixon wrote: Yes, I stated the above in so many words. The difference here is Mr Martin is ECF accredited, CRB checked etc. You are more than welcome to do the same, ie go through the necessary checks, if you want to join the list of ECF accredited coaches.
I refer you back to this patronising message Simon. You didn't state I wasn't on the list, you tried to tell me to get accredited, suggesting that is why Andrew Martin is allowed to advertise himself but not me, even though he knows full well that I am accredited as we have had the conversation more than once.

So you didn't simply do anything, apart from simply get it wrong

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 pm

ECF Accredited coaches - does this really give parents peace of mind that a coach is good for their child/nice/kind?

I only ask because I do know a couple of people on the list who are horrible.

As a parent, the most important thing to me apart from my own personal experiences, is to have recommendation from another who I know and trust.

If somebody said to me 'I am ECF accredited'. That would mean nothing to me.

I would expect CRB as a basic, but again, we all know, that is not really a perfect way of sifting out any potentially 'bad' people.

So far, Sabrina has made excellent choices with her team and she has coached many children I know, well - that means a lot more to me than anything else.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:32 pm

John Upham wrote:Do we know which agent the ECF Office uses for CRB checking?

I apologise if this is well known or documented elsewhere?

Does the ECF Office allowing proxying from other bodies such as LEAs etc?
When I became an arbiter the ECF wanted a CRB check. They rightly would not accept any of my other checks and one was carried out for the ECF by TMG CRB [An authorised Umbrella Body for the Criminal Records Bureau (England and Wales)] based in Nottingham.

I heard today that the ECF are now accepting third party CRB checks. I don't know if this is actually true or not but this is not recommended (see here) as it is open to abuse and fraud.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:ECF Accredited coaches - does this really give parents piece of mind that a coach is good for their child/nice/kind?

I only ask because I do know a couple of people on the list who are horrible.

As a parent, the most important thing to me apart from my own personal experiences, is to have recommendation from another who I know and trust.

If somebody said to me 'I am ECF accredited'. That would mean nothing to me.

I would expect CRB as a basic, but again, we all know, that is not really a perfect way of sifting out any potentially 'bad' people.

So far, Sabrina has made excellent choices with her team and she has coached many children I know, well - that means a lot more to me than anything else.
Of course you can choose to do what you think is best. I know there are people out there with a driving licence that drive badly, but I still expect them to have a driving licence and insurance if they are on the road, and I wouldn't get into a car with them if I had a choice.

'I am ECF accredited' does not mean 'I am faultless and you and your children will like me', but it does mean that a certain standard has been met.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I am reading this thread with increasing incredulity. So, despite the fact that I am standing down, I will invite anyone who has posted here to discuss face to face with me in Sheffield any matters arising.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
'I am ECF accredited' does not mean 'I am faultless and you and your children will like me', but it does mean that a certain standard has been met.
I will be happy to provide a reference to Sabrina, Jovanka and Keith (as I have done previously) as I have witnessed all of them coaching and if it speeds up the ECF red tape then I will be glad to have assisted.