British Championships Chess Coaching

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Krishna Shiatis

Re: British Championships Chess Coaching

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:06 pm

andrew martin wrote:Actually, talking to ALL the parents and not just the ones who post on here might well reveal what the real position is.
Actually, I think you might find that Sabrina did talk to quite a few at Sunningdale. She is one of the few people who actually does talk to parents on a regular basis and she does seem to understand, engage and listen. Most importantly, she has actually done something useful from the feedback she received.

Talking to ALL the parents would be a little difficult in this situation, not to say impractical. Though perhaps not impossible. I wish you well with it.

In terms of resolution, it has been mentioned that the ECF might be held liable if things went wrong. However, a carefully worded statement would I am sure ensure that this would not be the case. Also, I suspect that Sabrina has the necessary documentation for her coaches.

It surely would be in everybody's interests at this stage to say "go for it".

Again, this is another instance where it will cost the ECF nothing and they will have everything to gain.

Those that take up the offer of coaching will play better quality chess as the tournament progresses. Some may even come for the coaching. It can only be a win-win scenario.

If we were talking about anyone other than the people mentioned, I might be sceptical, but Sabrina (and her coaches) have proven track record, let her get on with it. What have you really got to lose?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:And Adam, cannot believe you are banning people from being in the analysis room. So you are banning our junior from receiving professional coaching and people who want the best for them. Really? Clearly that's exactly the aim of an ECF director. It's just amazing.
It's important to state clearly that I am not banning anyone from the analysis room. I am wholly in favour of people visiting the analysis room as often as they wish, with whoever they wish.

I have been asked a specific question and as a Director I can only give one official answer to that question.

It may be that people are missing the point, and perhaps need a nice long, cold drink.

Alex McFarlane (who is currently running the Scottish Championships) sent me a nice email explaining clearly the legal responsibilities of the Managers of the British Championships, and I am sure he will post it here at some point.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:39 pm

This is outrageous . Honestly , people have the audacity to question why I do not want my team to pay money to organisations like this.

So you won't allow the room to be used? I cannot understand this, I do not care about this in any prospective bar the principle. Surely if the Kids/whoever want a private coach , they as entrants can take them wherever they want in the venue which they have entered an event in. Providing none of the laws of chess are broken I cannot see the problem here?

O wait you are worried it will rival your coaching provided? I can't really understand this? Out of interest considering the JR fund is technically for boosting chess is Nick Nixon's coaching costing the fund for the entire two weeks? I am sure this is a great idea but surely we should take all the coaching we can get and one coach is not enough for the entire congress(estimates of 1000 people).

This feels like NASA, i know you ask wtf? when I say that, they recently said that for productivity and progress in space that it is in the best interests of humanity to contract out/allow private firms to take over space flight. With this surely we should applaud private coaches here for working hard to try and progress our juniors.

I really struggle with stuff like this because having known numerous chess professionals they hardly earn monster money, they do it because they love it. Putting hurdles on an already bumpy road seems quite pedantic.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:44 pm

andrew martin wrote:Well, it's totally clear :

All those with complaints and all those who stir up aggro unnecessarily for whatever reason will have the chance in October to make a real change when a new JD and team will drive English junior chess forward.

That is the prospect we face.
I hope it is when and not if we have a JD. We could do far worse than have someone with Sabrina's drive and vision in the job.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Paul Bielby wrote:

Why can't they work together? As an old friend and former climbing companion of John Robinson, I'm sure he would have been delighted to have his fund support chess for young people in general and without the divisions that seem to implied in some of the contributions to this forum.
I agree. There are enough people interested in receiving coaching that it is hard to imagine that one person alone could handle the demand.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Ben Purton wrote:This is outrageous . Honestly , people have the audacity to question why I do not want my team to pay money to organisations like this.

So you won't allow the room to be used? I cannot understand this, I do not care about this in any prospective bar the principle. Surely if the Kids/whoever want a private coach , they as entrants can take them wherever they want in the venue which they have entered an event in. Providing none of the laws of chess are broken I cannot see the problem here?

O wait you are worried it will rival your coaching provided? I can't really understand this? Out of interest considering the JR fund is technically for boosting chess is Nick Nixon's coaching costing the fund for the entire two weeks? I am sure this is a great idea but surely we should take all the coaching we can get and one coach is not enough for the entire congress(estimates of 1000 people).

This feels like NASA, i know you ask wtf? when I say that, they recently said that for productivity and progress in space that it is in the best interests of humanity to contract out/allow private firms to take over space flight. With this surely we should applaud private coaches here for working hard to try and progress our juniors.

I really struggle with stuff like this because having known numerous chess professionals they hardly earn monster money, they do it because they love it. Putting hurdles on an already bumpy road seems quite pedantic.

Ben
Hi Ben,

I do not know you, I suspect I will bump into you at some point (I have to say I am a little scared.....). I was wondering, are you old enough to have listened to Steve Wright in the Afternoon, it was a radio show on Radio 2 in the 80s?

You do remind me of a very funny character called 'Mr Angry' - he was very, very angry :lol: .

Anyhow, I am sure I digress.

I do agree (I think) in principle to what you have said.

Krishna
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Incidentally, did anyone see a similar system has been in place for at least the last ten years.It was advertised in the programme.

All anyone who wanted to coach and anyone who wanted coaching needed to do would be to come and see me and I made the introductions and just let them get on with it. If money changed hands,then that was their business.

I never heard any complaints, but maybe people were complaining behind the scenes that this was not good enough.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote: 'Mr Angry'
There was a chess one once, but I can't find a link.

I'd like to have an informed opinion. I'm not clear if the ECF wants to provide coaching, enable it, encourage it, licence it, certify it, some combination or something else.

Is there a strategy document available?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I've been watching this unfold all day, but was unable to post due to being on my phone...

I think most people are interested in the political ramifications of this; specifically the potential conflict of interest with the JRT, and whether the ECF has or needs to endorse it. I don't think anyone here is being critical of Sabrina & cos. plans to do some coaching. I think everyone is in fact all for it. At least, I can't see any reason why not.
Sabrina Chevannes wrote:And I very much doubt the new JD will work with me - it seems that many people in these positions are incapable of working with anyone.
Of course, there's no such thing as a Director of Junior Chess. It's a Director of Junior Chess & Education. The current emphasis on this directorship is competition based, not that there's anything wrong with that given his remit. Education has been left by the wayside. The approach you have with regard to coaching would seem to fit the "Education" bill perfectly. If you're concerned that the new JD won't work with you, the easiest way is to become the JD yourself. I can't imagine you'd have much competition... You've demonstrated that you're able to run any tournaments you might need to organise. You would probably be able to arrange things like coaching days for juniors, based on the same sort of arrangements you make now.

So why not do it yourself?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

LozCooper wrote:I hope it is when and not if we have a JD. We could do far worse than have someone with Sabrina's drive and vision in the job.
Has anyone put a foot forward for the post Lawrence?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Surely the main thing is that the coaching goes ahead and that as many girls, boys and women get the chance to take part. Regardless of if it is marketed as private or ECF coaching the positive thing is that a lot of people are going to benefit from it and it could even gain the British some late entries.
A possible resolution might be to embrace the idea, give it the official stamp of approval - let everyone know that it is private coaching, advertise it on the website because as Lawrence has suggested, you might even get some more entries. Then, set up guidelines for next time.
This.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Mike Truran wrote:I don't quite understand why we have these extraordinary punch-ups in public which just make everyone look bad. Surely it would be better for Adam and Sabrina to agree their position in private and then issue something jointly? All this sort of thing does is inflame the situation, when surely what everyone wants to happen is for Sabrina to make a success of a worthy undertaking.

Or am I missing something?
I wouldn't have singled out two individuals, but other than that I think Mike is spot on.

This seems to me to be a case of a misunderstanding and a communication breakdown, something which happens not infrequently both in the ECF and in other voluntary organisations.

The increased willingness of ECF Directors and Officers to post in this Forum is in principle desirable in my view. When it results in public arguments amongst them culminating in one threatening to emigrate, it becomes rather less desirable.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Ben Purton wrote:This is outrageous . Honestly , people have the audacity to question why I do not want my team to pay money to organisations like this.

So you won't allow the room to be used? I cannot understand this, I do not care about this in any prospective bar the principle. Surely if the Kids/whoever want a private coach , they as entrants can take them wherever they want in the venue which they have entered an event in. Providing none of the laws of chess are broken I cannot see the problem here? ... [excellent rant deleted]
Do people actually read posts? I accept that private is private, and public liability, for which the organisers are responsible, is very public. I refer you to Paul Dargan's post.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
LozCooper wrote:I hope it is when and not if we have a JD. We could do far worse than have someone with Sabrina's drive and vision in the job.
Has anyone put a foot forward for the post Lawrence?
As far as I'm aware everyone has taken a step back :cry:

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:12 pm

andrew martin wrote:Incidentally, did anyone see a similar system has been in place for at least the last ten years.It was advertised in the programme.

All anyone who wanted to coach and anyone who wanted coaching needed to do would be to come and see me and I made the introductions and just let them get on with it. If money changed hands,then that was their business.

I never heard any complaints, but maybe people were complaining behind the scenes that this was not good enough.
If Andrew has been doing it for the last 10 years already, but doing it 'indirectly' for want of a better word, surely what Sabrina is doing has to be acceptable? She is not doing 'deals' behind the scenes, her charges are up front, we can all look up her coaches and we can ask about them.

I am sure that they are CRB checked. As she said herself, the ECF does not always use ECF accredited coaches. It would be hypocritical of them to expect her to do the same. I myself have had personal experience with Keith coaching my son at simuls (he is brilliant by the way and Rohan has a lot of respect for him!) and have heard nothing but good things about Jovanka and Sabrina - who have coached several children I know well.

There is choice and structure in her programme. It is well organised and clear. My first reaction was 'superb'! and it still very much is. My husband came home just now and I showed it to him and he too was very impressed.

The structure in the existing system seems to be non-existent and unclear.

With regards to complaining behind the scenes, I believe that several parents (myself included) have complained very much in front of the scenes about the lack of current regular, structured training and coaching. If you read the report which Paul S wrote, he talks about organising regular training and coaching for the elite players. The topic was brought up because parents do genuinely feel that there is a need for it at a National Level.

The only people who have addressed this need have been Sabrina and her team. Not you Andrew - the ECF manager for Coaching, not the Junior Director (who is ultimately responsible for the development of the juniors), - but yes Sabrina has done it.

She has taken the responsibility of organising it and getting on with it. No complaints about lack of funding, or that her job is voluntary (as Women's Director). She has not made excuses or sat around doing surveys. She has just got on with it.

For that alone, she deserves better.