Anyone for Ecuador ?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
andrew martin

Anyone for Ecuador ?

Post by andrew martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:19 pm

I have just been passed this extraordinary email by Lawrence Cooper. I put it here in the hope that we can all see all is not yet lost in the chess coaching world:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:09:39 +0100
Subject: Chess Coach Wanted
To: [email protected]

JOB TITLE: Chess Coach Job

Umina Sports Club is a fast growing sports club located in the Coastal Part of Ecuador. Over the next decade, our network will grow to forty schools throughout Ecuador.

We are seeking Chess Instructors who are results-oriented, relentless and take a “Beyond Z” approach in teaching rigorous, engaging and high quality instruction.

Responsibilities:
Our Chess Instructors will…
•Be a part of a highly motivated team committed to education reform, parent choice and the building of exemplary schools.
•Collaborate with chess teachers across the network to build a superb chess program
•Inspire a love for chess and encourage critical thinking through rigorous chess instruction
•Coordinate and lead family chess nights and chess tournaments
•Receive routine, ongoing feedback and support from an outstanding leadership team and faculty.
•Teach in classrooms filled with resources and technology.
•Join a ground-breaking faculty of teachers who collaborate regularly with a team and leader

Qualifications:
Our ideal Chess Instructor will have full-time classroom experience. A Bachelor’s Degree is required. Qualified candidates must have at least a beginning understanding of how to play chess and an advanced understanding of the game of chess. Demonstrated competencies in the following areas are a must:

•Data Driven. Proven record of achievement.
•Stamina. Ability to handle the intensity required to work in a high-performing charter school.
•Accountability. Ensure that joyful, rigorous instruction is delivered to every scholar, every day.
•Management. Ability to manage the behavior in your classroom.
•Self-Reflection. Ability to accept and implement feedback received for real-time improvement.
In addition, the following characteristics are required to be successful on this team:

•Extraordinary Attention to Detail. Thinks critically about the details of a task at hand.
•Flexibility. Ability to adjust expected tasks and schedule to the updated priorities.

•Dedication to Mission. A genuine interest in finding ways to improve public education and support our schools.
•Collaboration. Working with teammates and responsive to feedback.
•Beyond Z Attitude. Willingness to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to be innovative and support the organization.

Contract- Full-time. 1 Year Contract

Salary & Benefits: US$120 Per Hour- US$12,200 Per month.

Free Accomodation,Flight Tickets,Medical Insurance,Language Tutor.

Application Requirements:
(1) Your Profile
(2) Photo
(3) Obtain Ecuador National Insurance Registration)

Applications:
If you are interested to apply for this position,please send a covering letter outlining your experience and skills for the job along with a current CV to Luis Espinoza Performance Administrator for the Umina Sports Council- [email protected]

Regards
John Toshima
USC,Ecuador

I will not be applying myself for the job, as the challenge at the ECF seems to be of a far greater magnitude and infinitely better paid.

Sabrina Chevannes

Re: Anyone for Ecuador ?

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:23 pm

I also received this email. I may apply for this one if I don't move to Singapore or the US.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I note it says: "Our ideal Chess Instructor will have full-time classroom experience".

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes, it may be the case that when applying for Ecuador NI registration various things have to be supplied, such as passport number, address, bank and credit card details, but maybe not.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

When something looks too good to be true - it probably is.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:36 pm

What, you mean like the post of Junior Director and the queue round the block to apply?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I suppose it would be quite a good start if the Umina Sports Club of Ecuador actually existed.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Why Mike, are you thinking of applying?

Come on,maybe you would like to take up the challenge of JD; what on earth is stopping you ?

You could guarantee your wife a seat at least, possibly even embossed in gold.
Last edited by andrew martin on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Mike Truran wrote:I suppose it would be quite a good start if the Umina Sports Club of Ecuador actually existed.

Even if it doesn't, it still sounds more attractive than working for free for an organisation that will go against you when you are trying to do good for your country.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 pm

You can tell by the salary that this is shall we say 'dubious'. I live in the UAE - which isn't the poorest of countries. The main clubs here all of GM coaches for the local students and I can tell you that they don't make half of the figure mentioned above - more like £1500 a month tax free with accommodation thrown in - but probably a shared apartment. And that's for GM's.

Paul