New Junior Director - Sabrina Chevannes or Phil Ehr?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Krishna Shiatis

New Junior Director - Sabrina Chevannes or Phil Ehr?

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Phil's statement is available;

Statement of Phil Ehr
Candidate for Director of Junior Chess and Education

It would be a great honour and privilege to serve as Director of Junior Chess and Education and I respectfully ask for your support. I am a parent of two juniors who are in their eleventh year of competitive chess. They benefit greatly from the experience, which my wife and I consider an essential component of their education. I am also a chess coach at our children’s former primary school, which recognises the value of our game to the extent that every pupil is taught how to play. Chess maintains a presence in every classroom, where teachers actually use it to develop academic focus and promote good behaviour.
Everyone from Year 1 to Year 6 participates in the UKCC. The after-school club produces excellent teams
and individual players. My background outside chess also prepares me for this role, having served in positions of responsibility in similarly diverse organisations, re-built a professional training program and
represented the interests of children. Specifics may be read at LinkedIn.

With respect and many thanks to Peter Purland and his predecessors, a thorough review of junior
chess is required to address the challenges outlined in the ECF’s Strategic Plan and to set the way forward.
As director, I would work to advance two simple goals: (1) recruit and retain more juniors; and (2)
strengthen our top performers.

My first priority would be to select an alternate director with a greatly expanded remit than the
current role. Ideally, he or she would be a titled player, professional educator or coach, assume the title of
Deputy Director and focus on matters ‘internal’ to the directorate. He or she would chair the ‘Player
Development and Selection Committee’ that would serve as the name implies, focused on and actively
seeking to develop our top tier, as well as selecting juniors to represent England. I would recuse myself
from selections involving my own children and their peers, focus on policy, budget and ‘external’ matters,
such as relations with other institutions that enjoy closer relationships with the majority of juniors. This
director-deputy team is a leadership model with which I am comfortable and I believe is necessary to
strengthen the junior directorate. The following partial list provides a flavour of where I would lead:

Budget and Membership. It is naive to suggest that no additional resources are needed to
improve junior chess, but some aspects can be improved with policy development, delegation
within the junior directorate and a fresh approach to cooperation with other bodies. While it is yet
to be seen, revenue from juniors under the proposed ECF membership scheme is likely to produce
more federation resources for the junior game.

The Masses. Few would dispute that Mike Basman’s initiative, which attracts over 60,000
children playing chess each year, is the most substantial contribution to youth chess in living
memory. I am therefore committed to advance cooperation between the UKCC and the ECF as
announced in Sheffield. Additionally, there may be scope to better promote or assist the CSC’s
work in state primary schools as well as the 4NCL’s junior training weekends. There is certainly
scope to accelerate the resurgence in girls’ chess led by the managers of women’s chess. To
increase public understanding, I would work to attract more academic research on the effects of
chess in education, extracurricular coaching and participation in tournaments.

International Representation. While I would seek to retain objectivity in the present system
where players select themselves in competitions such as the junior grand prix and world trial,
I would also increase the number of players to more credibly represent England at major
international tournaments. I would ask candidates seeking to serve as deputy director to
outline a plan for England to substantially improve our results within the next three years in the
80+ opportunities at the U16 Olympiads, the European Youth, World Youth and World Junior
Championships.

Schools. In view of the small number of schools in the ECF National Schools Championships and
the ever-rising cost of participating in the premier primary schools championships run by EPSCA,
a fundamental review is warranted with a view toward collaboration with EPSCA and other bodies
who run national or nation-wide school championships at the primary and secondary levels. The
chronic atrophy at the secondary school level may well be reversed with motivational incentives
for players and proactive introductions of proven coaches to secondary school authorities.

Parents. No greater source of dedication to junior chess exists. Many parents share their
exuberance by volunteering in local clubs, but their collective support is missing from the national
junior chess scene. To fill this gap, a few parents including yours truly, will soon be recruiting
other parents to join a non-profit association dedicated to supporting youth chess generally. Read
all about it on http://www.chessparents.org.uk.

Whoever is elected as Director of Junior Chess and Education will require the ongoing support of
ECF Council members and the organisations you represent. Please make your decision wisely, keeping in
mind that a vibrant junior program is absolutely essential for a healthy federation. I pledge to dedicate my
volunteer efforts to make it happen.

Wow - very impressive Phil! I am very pleased to see a parent brave enough to step forward - an ex-naval commander no less.

Your CV alone is amazing, it just goes to show the calibre of the chess parents out there and what they have to offer.

I do hope that you will join the forum and come and discuss some of the above.

Your ideas are well thought out and it seems Phil, you have spent some time looking at what needs to be done. The plans are very forward thinking and you understand that the role is large and you would need help. You are looking at how to involve more people. IMO that is the secret to the success of any future junior director.

I do have some questions though.

1) You have said that you would elect 'an alternate director'. Who are you considering for this? This is very important to know because clearly you would be 'a two man team'.

2) What exactly are your views on International Selection? How would you change things? Especially compared with what exists at the moment.

3) Once voted in, how accessible would you be? Would you be happy to talk to parents and listen?

4) What are your views on training and development and how would you improve things?

I would obviously love to know Sabrina's answers to the above questions as well. I am sure that she is preparing her statement as I type.

Looking forward to some healthy debate before the elections.

Mick Norris

Re: New Junior Director - Sabrina Chevannes or Phil Ehr?

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Krishna

Have you read the chessparents website and are you, or will you, be getting involved?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Krishna

Have you read the chessparents website and are you, or will you, be getting involved?
Hi Mick,

Yes, I think it is a cool idea. I have just joined up. I am not entirely sure where it is going at the moment, but am happy to help in any way that I can. I already help and chat to many parents who are part of the Kent set-up and for any that are interested in going further, I direct them to training, to the National Tournaments such as The British and The London Juniors, to the adult tournaments in the area, as well as nationally.

As a volunteer, I have managed successful, national title winning Kent teams for three years now, arbitted in KJCA tournaments, and am co-managing ACES - an academy set up to train juniors to a national level.

As a parent, I have travelled all over England with our chess playing children. They have entered team events, junior events, adult tournaments - all sorts and had lots of fun with it. We have met lots of lovely people and I hope to meet many more as the years go on - my youngest is just 7 and loves chess.

So, I would say that I am very much involved.

I do think that there is a lot of potential in the UK regards junior chess. There is a long way to go to still, but it is essential that we start now and set the ball rolling. Other countries have been helping their juniors proactively for decades now and we really need to do the same.

Best wishes,

Krishna
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Krishna

Thanks for that

I'll be casting at least 4 votes at the AGM, so views of those involved in junior chess are useful
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I hope there is a possibility that we could have Sabrina and Phil - what a great team, along with the support from their nominators, that would be. I would hope that there is some discussion happening along those lines, although I am not privileged with any inside information.

If they are talking I'd suggest that they try to draw a clear line between the duties of a director on one hand and the opportunities to do good things for junior chess on the other. The more any temptations towards patronage can be divorced from the office of JD the better it will be for the holder of the position and for junior chess, in my view.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Since my manifesto hasn't been put on here for some reason, I have added it below. I do not have an impressive CV set up like Phil and clearly don't have as many years experience in all the various exciting roles he has done, but I have dedicated my life to chess now and I really want what is best for the juniors. I hope that people can see that. As mentioned, there is indeed a limit to what we could write, so I haven't gone into things in massive detail and haven't included other things that I would like to happen. However, I do envisage a change for the better should I get selected, starting with a website set up dedicated to English Junior Chess which will be a place everyone and anyone wanting help or information about junior chess can go. I have already found a webmaster who is willing to do this. In addition, I hope to be able to send more than one junior from each age group to the interntional events as I think we have so many who are at similar standards that are good enough to go. These should then be allowed the OPTION regarding the coaching and whether they would like to have their coaches at hand at ome via skype for example. I don't think things should just be focussed at the top level either. All levels of juniors should be able to receive coaching and support.

I have found from speaking to a lot of parents, that these are their wishes and I think their opinions should be heard. Anyway, here is my manifesto:

I very much look forward to be given the chance to help promote and support junior chess in England by representing the ECF as Junior Director of Chess and Education. I think that I am highly suited to the role for a variety of reasons: I have given up a career in medicine and taken up chess full-time. I teach in some of the top schools in the country, organise various junior events and am very much involved in important junior chess organisations. I am extremely well connected, working alongside Malcolm Pein on the Chess in Schools and Communities project, Mike Basman for the UK Chess Challenge as well as Frederic Friedel for Chessbase. I believe that if anyone can get the best for the juniors in this country, I can.
Having looked at the ECF Strategic Plan 2011, it seems very similar to my own goals. Within CSC, our aim is to get chess in every primary school in the country and we are constantly recruiting and training up coaches in order to provide a continuous service o the schools. I personally run a chess academy which acts as an agency and provides school and private chess coaching. I help anyone who contacts me find an appropriate coach or the right guidance.
There are a few things that I would hope to achieve as ECF Junior Director of Chess and Education. Firstly, I would like to see an official ECF Junior Squad. I spend a lot of time liaising with parents of our leading juniors to find out what they want for their children and this is often top of their list. I understand that funding is an issue within the ECF but I feel that there is a way to make this self-financing and possibly even raise more for the ECF junior fund. There would be a tiered system which would depend on how committed the junior is and want they want from the game. I understand that the running of this junior squad would be too much of a commitment for one person and so hope to elect a board to help in the running of this. This would also include structured and regular coaching throughout the country. I am already trying to implement this myself. My idea of “In-tournament Training” has already started really well this year and many juniors have benefitted from it. I hope to be at more prestigious chess tournaments throughout the year.
I would also like to create a selection process for international events that is more widely accepted. This would consist of a variety of methods, which include selection tournaments, GP results and general performance. This allows those that cannot make certain events not to miss out on international opportunities. I hope to work closely with the International Director to run more FIDE rated events for juniors, enabling them to get an internationally recognised rating/improve their current FIDE.
There are a lot of great organisations running chess events out there, including my own academy and I believe I can help them all work closer together to achieve the ECF’s goal. I am extremely well connected and highly respected as a coach and organiser. I have been asked to help run the Junior 4NCL this year as I believe it can be a prestigious competition for our top juniors. I organise the junior side of the London Chess Classic and I am taking over the running of the Richmond Rapidplay from May 2012 and starting a Richmond Junior Rapidplay in order to encourage more juniors to play. Not only am I connected with chess organisers and coaches throughout the country, I am personally very close with several titled players and being an England International myself, I often can get the top players to do coaching/simuls for me to help promote junior chess.
I have turned chess into a full time career and I have the passion and drive to get things done and achieve results. As a current ECF Manager of Women’s Chess, in the short time I have been in the role, I have already ran two successful National Championships, gained significant sponsorship for women’s chess and am in the process of organising an International Women’s match with three other countries.
I think the main reason why I would be well suited to this role is because I care. I often come to tournaments just to support juniors I coach or to see how they are getting on and give them moral support. I genuinely hope that I can make a difference to the juniors in this country and I believe that in the role of ECF Junior Director of Chess and Education, I can do this best. In addition to all this, I feel that I can bring some diversity to the ECF board being so young and fresh as well as bringing a female perspective to some ideas!

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Sabrina your manifesto comes from the heart but also the head. Having seen you in action we know you are more than capable to do the job, if we had a vote you would get it - good luck

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Sabrina,

Pleased to see your manifesto! I do not have any questions as you have answered them all!

Wow! Again, I am amazed at what I am reading. This is truly what I have been waiting to hear. You really have been listening to the parents and their views. You understand what the children need!

You yourself are an experienced chess player and your focus is on training. Your plans are just what we need.

I think that is brilliant.

You have track record in the chess world and the ability to bring many of the junior chess organisations together. Your chess CV is brilliant.

You have passion, drive, and commitment and this comes across strongly in your manifesto.

You wish to help all juniors and have been doing so already by the looks of things for a few years now.

Most importantly, you always talk to everyone.

I think that we have two super candidates and whoever succeeds in this election, I think we will be better off for it.

If I had a vote, I have to say, based on experience, know how, commitment, sheer force of the manifesto and the difference it would make to all the children I know and coach, it would have to be Sabrina for JD. I know that you would work alongside Phil and I think you would be great together.

Phil - thank you for your e-mail - I look froward to helping with your parents website and with your ideas, you have so much to offer, if you do succeed, I hope and I am sure that you would do so, to work hand in hand with Sabrina. She really knows and understands about training and coaching as well as the chess world. She has va va voom and she is willing to use it.

Best of luck to you both!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 am

Questions to both candidates:

1. The Manager of Coaching will report to you. Do you have in mind any changes or improvements to their remit and do you have in mind persons you would like to see in this post? Indeed are you encouraging any individuals to make themselves available for appointment by the board?
2. The ECF & UKCC have recently agreed to grow their relationship for mutual benefit. One of the main tenets of this accord is the promotion of the CoM as an endorsed resource by UKCC. What further steps would you recommend to cement this improving relationship?
3. What are your concrete proposals to shake-up the selection processes? Who would you like to work with as part of a selection panel? Do you wish to retain the existant selection panel?
4. The Directorship also includes "Education" as well as simply Junior Chess. What are your proposals for this area of the role?
5. Do you feel it is important or desirable to bring together and / or harmonise the many and varied organisations that purport to promote and further junior chess?

That will do for now! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am

I also have a question for the two candidates. Do you plan to provide much for those between say 5 and 20, those who whilst not being the representatives at the Worlds/Europeans are likely to go on to become the next generation of 2200/2300/2400 coaches and club/county champions? If so, what?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 am

We are very fortunate to have two strong candidates with very different and complementary skill sets. I hope the ECF will find a way for them to be able to work together. There is far too much that needs to be done for any one person to take on the job alone.

I would imagine that Phil, with his extensive high-level management experience, would make an outstanding Director of Junior Chess while Sabrina, with her enthusiasm, energy and charisma, would be an ideal alternate.

I echo John and Rob's questions above and would extend Rob's question to ask about the next generation of 1600, 1800 and 2000 strength players, who are just as important. I would also ask both candidates what they intend to do to encourage, promote and support Junior Chess Clubs.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:08 am

Rob Thompson wrote:I also have a question for the two candidates. Do you plan to provide much for those between say 5 and 20, those who whilst not being the representatives at the Worlds/Europeans are likely to go on to become the next generation of 2200/2300/2400 coaches and club/county champions? If so, what?
I'd love to see the statistics on this - how many of those placed between 5th and 20th have actually gone on to become the next generation in each of those bands?

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:I don't think things should just be focussed at the top level either. All levels of juniors should be able to receive coaching and support.
Hi Rob - please see my quote from my first post. I do also believe that all juniors should receive attention and hence I was saying there should be a tiered system for those at different levels. I am putting together a detailed plan of how I envisage the new "Junior Squad" system should be arranged.

John - Regarding the coaching, the feedback I have received regarding the role is that there was not that much activity done. I feel that the new Manager of Coaching should be responsible for more, and the coaching programme that I have mentioned that should be in place should be largely the responsibility of the Manager of Coaching. I hope to have coaching sessions done for example on a monthly basis, for different categories. e.g. advanced, intermediate, novice. I would hope that we could set up an application process, much like what Phil and I are going through for anyone that would like the position although I do have a couple of ideas already.

The UKCC and CoM partnership is one that should be discussed at length. Since I have worked closely with Mike Basman for many years, I feel that I am in a good position to do this and with their new sponsors and things changing with the tournament, we would need to hear his thoughts. I have my own ideas with how we can go forward, but they need to suit everyone.

Again I think I have answered most of these questions in my manifesto - re selection processes, I think that a wide variety should be used. Tournaments and grand prix may be OK, but if players cannot make the tournament for whatever reason, they are disadvantaged. Also, the sheer volume of tournaments on the Grand Prix can prove quite expensive and I think that the money can be used for more valuable things rather than playing in tournaments they may not necessarily have played in. I think grades should be taken into account, as well as performance throughout the year, both in adult and junior competitions. I still think that there should be the option to send in games to a selection panel also, so we can see that even if someone has not good as results as they wish, but their standard of play is high, they may be selected or looked at for the future. This way, coaches also get an insight into what the juniors weaknesses are and these can be targetted a lot earlier. Not ever junior has the privilege of a coach so I think that if we have a team of coaches working together on this, they can support all our juniors.

With regards to te education point, I work with CSC which has already produced their own curriculum. I am indeed still in the middle of getting my course published, so there is a lot of chess curriculum. However, I also am working with a few maths teachers trying to incorporate chess into maths lessons and producing exercises/games for this. Also, I hope that there can be a partnership with the Institute of Chess, again whom I work closely with, who provide chess exams for school throughout the country.

This leads onto the final question John, which I have mentioned a lot in the manifesto. I do believe I have extensive connections. I possibly have some of the best connections in the country as I have spent a lot of time dedicated to chess and got to know a lot of people all over the country. I have worked with organisers in every part of the country and I think that I am an ideal person to bring all the organisations together.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Paul Sanders wrote: I'd love to see the statistics on this - how many of those placed between 5th and 20th have actually gone on to become the next generation in each of those bands?
The London junior chess championships website gives a clue to this as they have all the cross tables back to 1992 and seem to have a lot of names I recognise hidden there.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:If I had a vote...
Krishna,

It has occured to me that you do have a vote. I believe you're involved with the Kent Junior Chess Association? Their delegate at the moment is Richard Haddrell. I'm sure he'd consult with KJCA over the issue of the next Junior Director. Have you tried e-mailing him suggesting who he should vote for?