Glorney Faber Cup

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Clayton

Glorney Faber Cup

Post by David Clayton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Any one know where I can get up to date information on individual results of our England Teams?

Other than going down to Liverpool of course :)

David

David Robertson

Re: Glorney Faber Cup

Post by David Robertson » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:23 pm

I've just come from awarding the prizes at the closing ceremony for the event which was hosted by my University

In summary: England (16) won the Glorney Cup by half a point from Ireland (15.5) & Scotland (15.5). Wales (3) were a distant 4th. It was an extremely tense final round with England coming from behind to pip the others.

In the Jessie Gilbert Cup (renamed from the Faber), England (10.5) were comfortable winners ahead of Ireland (7.5)

England won all the other age groups events too (u-12 & u-14).

My University sponsored team and individual cash prizes for the first time. I don't have all the names to hand. But two English girls shared the 'best performance' prize; while two Irish lads shared the Glorney equivalent (Sam Osborne & Liam Normoyle)

I have to say there was a splendid atmosphere throughout. Thunderous applause for winners and speeches at the prize-giving; respectful & well-mannered behaviour throughout. Photos will appear on the Atticus site soon, or via a link to elsewhere.

Finally, in my closing remarks, I thanked Clare Summerscale, who did a fabulous job organising everything; and Peter Purland, who controlled the event with his customary good-natured efficiency. I also had a kind word for all the helpers and organisers from the various national federations who had given their time to oversee the young players. I'm sure you'd have wanted me to say as much.

David
Atticus CC & MCA Junior Officer

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm going to write a comprehensive report on all of the Glorney tournaments, which should appear on the ecf website within the next couple of days.

It was a great event and I'm of course thrilled that England came out on top in all 4 sections.

David is right about the prize giving, there was a fantastic atmosphere and his speech was extremely well received.

Claire Summerscale

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:49 am

You can now read the tournament report here: http://www.chessuk.com/glorney08.html

Claire

Phil Thomas

Post by Phil Thomas » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 am

Claire,
thanks for your posting and for the work you did to run the Under 12 and Under 14 tournaments.

Unfortunate that you didn't have the individual results available for your recent posting. I am about to follow your suggestion and mail direct to Peter Purland to ask for the individual results of all the teams - as requested at the start of this thread (David Clayton July 24th). When I get them I'll post them here.

This should avoid all interested parties having to contact Peter direct via e mail, and Peter sending multiple replies.

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Dear Phil
It was a good tournament.

Afraid that I didn't have the individual results because I wasn't the tournament controller. It was in fact a complete surprise to me that I had to control the under 12 and under 14 sections. Peter Purland was the tournament controller and I'm sure he'll be able to give individual results and hopefully post them on the website.

It's such a shame that the ecf have decided to completely ignore this important tournament on their website, despite my repeated requests to put my report up.

Claire

Phil Thomas

Post by Phil Thomas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Claire,

Hmmm a bit of a delay in replying - I have only just noticed your words from August 10th.
Were either you or Peter able to post full results somewhere on the ecf web site?

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:24 pm

Dear Phil
I put all the results that I had up immediately.

However, I've put together this excel results spreadsheet for you, based on info Peter sent. Round 5 for the under 12s and 14s is missing.

http://www.chessuk.com/glorney4.xls

I would suggest that you contact Peter Purland directly for round 5: [email protected]

Claire

Phil Thomas

Post by Phil Thomas » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Claire,

Thanks for that information. The reason I was so keen to get this information is that my son was playing board 1 for the Scotland U12 team. When the games were processed for his Scottish grade he asked me why, in the match against England Knights, it was only the Scotland board 4 who played against a graded player.

Looking up the grades of the England Knights team - using the ECF online look up service - I find this rather remarkable board order. I wonder if you ar any one else is able to rationalise the board order?

Phil

England Knights Grade/ Last Year/ Rapid This Year/ Rapid Last year
A Truman - - 29 31
A Rogers - - 51 51
L Fox - - - -
G Fortune 96 79 60 62
S Weston - - - -
D Chow - - - -

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 am

This was not a team that I put together, but I imagine, as juniors' grades are a year out of date at the point the glorney is held and children improve so rapidly, that the team was ranked in playing strength order.

Claire

Phil Thomas

Post by Phil Thomas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Claire,

I seem to have trouble using my imagination as you do.

Board 1, never had a slow play grade, rapid grade dropped by 2 points to 29 is a stronger player than board 4 = Slow play grade increased from 79 to 96.

67 points is a massive difference. Doesn't the 4NCL restrict to 10 points ECF/ 80 points FIDE when playing out of grading order?

Phil

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Phil,

You can't compare Rapid grades with Standard ones. Rapid grades are even more deflation than Standard ones!!

They key thing is that with the exception of the Board 4 they were all ungraded. So someone has to make a decision on assumed strength.

Did their overall results suggest that that decision was right or wrong?

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:36 am

Dear Phil
The England Knights were a local team put together at short notice to ensure that all teams were able to play all 5 matches.

I've had a closer look and the board 4 in question was substituted on the 2nd day as the other player went home.

Possibly he should have been on a higher board, but it made no difference to any of the team results. If you reverse his result, or make the match 6-0 to Scotland, the team results are still the same for all teams.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to enter into any further discussion about this. You can take the issue up directly with Peter Purland: [email protected] if you like.

Claire

Susan Owens

Post by Susan Owens » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Can you tell me who sets the date for this Glorney tournament ?
Surely this sort of tournament should be in the school holidays ? This year it starts two days before the summer school term ends, and next year the whole tournament clashes with the last week of school.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm

I have been asked to post the latest scores from Strathclyde University, Glasgow

After day one:

GLORNEY after two rounds

Ireland 6.5

England 6.0

Scotland 4.5

Wales 3

England play Ireland tomorrow morning.

FABER after two rounds

England 4.5

Scotland 3.5

Ireland 2.5

Wales 1.5

JOHN ROBINSON CUP U14 after three rounds:

England 15.5

Scotland 8

Ireland 6.5

Wales 6

Bernadette Allen Cup U12 after three rounds

England 15

Wales 8

Ireland 6.5

Scotland 6.5

General remarks: Scottish organisation first-class. Very friendly atmosphere. Standard of play high in Glorney/Faber, patchy below.

Will update tomorrow evening

Andrew