Glorney Faber Cup

National developments, strategies and ideas.
andrew martin

Re: Glorney Faber Cup

Post by andrew martin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Latest scores from Glasgow:

The final of the Glorney Cup will be a head to head between England and Ireland.

Semi-final results :

England 3 Scotland 2

Ireland 4 Wales 1

Semi-final results in the Faber:

England 3 Wales 0

Scotland 3 Ireland 0

Expect both finals to be very hard-fought.

JOHN ROBINSON CUP (U14) after 5 rounds of 6

England 26

Scotland 11.5

Ireland 11

Wales 11.5

BERNADETTE ALLEN CUP (U12) after 5 rounds of 6

England 26

Scotland 12

Ireland 11.5

Wales 10.5

The difference between the English teams in these age groups and the others is simply huge.

Andrew

Susan Owens

Post by Susan Owens » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Results posted 2pm on the Scottish Chess Noticeboard :-

GLORNEY
1st England
2nd Ireland
3rd Scotland
4th Wales

FABER
1st Scotland
2nd England
3rd Ireland
4th Wales

U12
1st England
2nd Ireland
3rd Scotland
4th Wales

U14
1st England
2nd Ireland
3rd Scotland
4th Wales

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks Susan. I have been in transit for the last 8 hours.

Look forward to seeing lots of you at the British

Andrew

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

I believe the Glorney/Faber Cups are due to begin tomorrow in Trefforest (Wales). Does anyone have details of the various teams or of a tournament website? I failed to find anything with a 'google' search.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 pm

It's at the Univ of Glamorgan in Pontypridd (apologies for spelling if wrong which is probable). It is over 6 rounds but I'm afraid that's all I know.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks for that Alex. Hopefully we may have someone who will be able to post team names and results.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Peter Turner wrote:I believe the Glorney/Faber Cups are due to begin tomorrow in Trefforest (Wales). Does anyone have details of the various teams or of a tournament website? I failed to find anything with a 'google' search.
Hi Peter,

There's no website so I'm afraid we are reliant on news as and when someone posts here. I hope to receive some updates from Peter Purland but as I'm away for two days they will not be posted as promptly as I normally try to do.

I believe Matthew will be there so maybe he can help :)

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Thank's Lawrence, do you know who is representing England?
Last edited by Peter Turner on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Indeed I am here and I will endeavour to post results when I can. The rooms are very nice and I seem to have a very good Internet connection. England are always going to be big favourites at the U14 and U12 level, but the U18's look wide open. The event is a double round all-play-all this year (with Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland).
Unfortunately, I have been unable to do any preparation because I do not know the pairings or the teams!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: Unfortunately, I have been unable to do any preparation because I do not know the pairings or the teams!
Seems odd that despite being at the venue, the composition of the teams is still unknown! I've asked a few Warwickshire players, who would have presumably been close to selection. They have no idea who is in the team either. Presumably there must have been a junior selection team who selected accordingly?

This is all rather disappointing. I assumed it was a fairly important event in British junior chess, and it has had no publicity, and no one seems to have any idea what's going on with it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:This is all rather disappointing. I assumed it was a fairly important event in British junior chess, and it has had no publicity, and no one seems to have any idea what's going on with it.

This really is something the ECF board (or even Council) should address. If the ECF are organising teams for an event, some basic publicity (such as announcements on this forum) would make sense.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 am

There is some comment here http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/page90.html which looks as if its under construction.

Also here on the SWIM website http://www.southwaleschess.co.uk/SWI/ which mentions games will appear.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 am

Many thanks Michael, that looks promising, hopefully we will get the team lists later today.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 am

I know that Adam Taylor (Surrey not Essex) is playing in the U14 team (there is more than just the Glorney and Faber cups). I think Peter Purland is running the England teams, and has selected those who did not quite qualify for the World/European championships.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

Games from the Glorney/Faber Cups will be at the South Wales International website. http://southwaleschess.co.uk/SWI/.

Thanks to Neville for the above info.