World Youth Championships

National developments, strategies and ideas.
NevilleB

World Youth Championships

Post by NevilleB » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:59 pm

The World Youth Championships have just started in Vietnam

The official site is http://wycc2008.vietnamchess.com/index.php. The results of the English players is at http://chess-results.com/tnr15980.aspx? ... ag=30&m=-1.

Andrew Martin is team manager.

If you are able to read this message, Andrew, please pass on my best wishes to the whole team.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Claire Summerscale

Re: World Youth Championships

Post by Claire Summerscale » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am

Team reports from the squad in Vietnam are being posted on the ECF website here: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/events/w ... /index.htm

Time difference and office hours mean that the results are a round or so behind the action, so I'm keeping the results right up to date here for everyone: http://www.chessuk.com/worldy.html

Good luck to the squad. There have already been some fantastic performances.

Claire

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

I'm always pleased when Jessica Thilaganathan or Callum Kilpatrick do well as I have my wins against them safely in the bank, to be rolled out later when they are in possession of titles and awards....
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Good luck to the squad.

I'm curious though. Would anyone care to give an explanation why our two U16 representatives had to meet in round 2? Sounds a bit of a disappointment. Surely the idea is to play people from different countries and not your mate from the England team, especially when you've flown all that way (and paid all that money).

From what I understand about tournaments here the controllers try to avoid pairing two people from the same club unless there was no other choice. Surely the organisers in Vietnam could have tweaked the pairings slightly to avoid this clash?

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 pm

It's such a shame that Callum and Akash had to play. To travel all that way and then play a member of your own squad. I have no explanation I'm afraid. I can say that in the same round, two of the Canadian players also had to play each other.

After the conclusion of round 7 we have exciting news:

Even after a loss, David is still 11th=.
Callum is 5th= in the under 16s.
Yang-Fan stands 13th= in the under 14s.
Felix is flying the flag in 5th= in the under 12s.
Matthew is steadily climbing through the under 8s and is now 13th=.

The next round is tomorrow and you can view the games and results on the official website here: http://wycc2008.vietnamchess.com/index. ... s.com.html

Come on England.
Claire

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm

It's the final round of the World Youth tomorrow.

David Howell (under 18 ) and Felix Ynojosa (under 12) are in the top 10 going into the final round.
Felix 6th=
David 8th=

Hot on their heels are:
Matthew Wadsworth (under 8) 12th=
Callum Kilpatrick (under 16) 15th=
Radha Jain (under 12) 16th=
Chantal Siresina (under 18) 17th=

The round starts early tomorrow, so get your flags out and cheer on all of our intrepid team.
The official website is here: http://wycc2008.vietnamchess.com/index.php

Reports will be posted asap on the ecf website: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/events/w ... ound10.htm

Claire
Last edited by Administrator on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed!

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 pm

No idea why there's a strange face on my last post. Mathew is of course an under 8.
Claire

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Because certain things get auto-changed into smileys.

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:47 am

Exciting news from Vietnam:
We finish with 4 players in the top 10 of their age groups.

Felix topped of his fantastic performance with a win. His finishing score of 8.0 means he is 3rd= in the under 12s. Well done Felix.

David Howell finished on 7.5 points, just half a point behind the clump of players who scored 8.0 points. An impressive 6th=.

Matthew Wandsworth crept up on everyone, drawing with the top seed in the final round of the under 8s to finish 9th= with 7.0 points, brilliant.

Callum held his nerve to beat his last round opponent to finish 10th= with a great score of 7.0 in the under 16s.

I'm so proud of the whole squad. Well done everyone. Congratulations to the coaches, who have clearly worked extremely hard with their players, and well done to the managers who have helped everything run so smoothly.

Claire

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:46 am

David Howell finished on 7.5 points, just half a point behind the clump of players who scored 8.0 points. An impressive 6th=.
Personally if I had been number one seed in an event where I'd finished 6th= and lost rating points, I would consider it a performance somewhere between disappointing and average.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:04 am

6th in the world is 6th in the world Roger.

Hes come 3rd @ U20 and 6th @ U18, You cant ever see that as dissapointing. So what if hes lost rating? In a Junior event such as the worlds where everyone is underated, being the top seed is a curse, especially in a country Like Vietnam.

I think the most important thing to realise is he is rare compared to all the other top 20 in Britain in many respects. As he plays 100% to win, yes he drew alot of Black games, but at world U20 he played like more hours than like 5 of his rival seeds combined. Even in World U18 he declined 2 pep Checks against the guy who won it.

From Looking at the results, Matthew Wandsworth's performance looks like the best, obviously, BERKSHIRE PRIDE ROGER, COMMON SHOW SOME POSITIVES.

Congrats to Callum and Matthew on good rating gains.

When David wins us matches at Olympiad Roger with 100 move draws with Black V 2550's , will it be a bad result for the -0.3 rating points?

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.