Bad news for adult players

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

Bad news for adult players

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:56 am

I've just had the pleasure of "opening the box" (remember that?) of goodies that has landed from the good offices of the Delancey Schools UK Chess Challenge. I'm always apprehensive as to what lovely items I will be distributing to the children as there is something different each year. :D

2013 is no exception and Mike and Pat have chosen one of the most feared weapons a junior may utilise when playing a "grown-up". 8)

For those of a sensitive disposition, you should "look away now!"

The weapon of choice is not irony, nor is it sarcasm but it is:
pencil_furry.gif
The 2013 Delancy Schools UKCC "Shaggy Pencil"

Enjoy! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ray Sayers

Re: Bad news for adult players

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Oh yes, lol I was baffled by those for a second.

The kids will love them!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm

I have next to appoint a "Spot Monitor" plus "Apprentice Spot Monitor" for each school.

This is to avoid being mugged for little gold spots that are awkward to lift off the sheets onto their badges. :roll:

Top tip: do not allow the children to see the contents of the box if you value your sanity! :lol:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 pm

John Upham wrote:I have next to appoint a "Spot Monitor" plus "Apprentice Spot Monitor" for each school.

This is to avoid being mugged for little gold spots that are awkward to lift off the sheets onto their badges. :roll:
The best way is just to give them out at the end of the competition. Otherwise you get bugged on each and every week when, inevitably, the kids lose them...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: The best way is just to give them out at the end of the competition. Otherwise you get bugged on each and every week when, inevitably, the kids lose them...
The children love to wear the badges around the school out of chess club and its good for chess that the children do that.

A badge is the prize for amassing three points and UKCC uses the 3-2-1 (Dusty Bin) scoring system.

It is a pity (IMHO) there is no UKCC forum for UKCC coaches and teachers to share experiences and tips.

Perhaps we should start a dedicated one in this place?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm

John Upham wrote:The children love to wear the badges around the school
At the secondary school I run this at, I'm not sure the same is true!
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
John Upham wrote:I have next to appoint a "Spot Monitor" plus "Apprentice Spot Monitor" for each school.

The best way is just to give them out at the end of the competition. Otherwise you get bugged on each and every week when, inevitably, the kids lose them...
That is a fine idea. We do a PTA Hot Dog lunch at the end of every term at the local school and at the end we go around with a basket of little kit-kats. It is amazing how many kids try to grab 2, deny they ever get one or run to another table to try to get another! I can imagine the same japes to get another gold spot and doing it all at the end is a great idea - I will do that!

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
John Upham wrote:The children love to wear the badges around the school
At the secondary school I run this at, I'm not sure the same is true!
At Wilson's many of the year 7s love to wear their badge but the year 10s put it in their blazer pocket, only to produce it when they win a gold spot. They all love the mascots. The sixth form do most of the administration for me. I think it all adds to the fun of the event, even for teenagers. But I know that my`view is not typical of most secondary school chess organisers.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:At Wilson's many of the year 7s love to wear their badge but the year 10s put it in their blazer pocket, only to produce it when they win a gold spot. They all love the mascots. The sixth form do most of the administration for me. I think it all adds to the fun of the event, even for teenagers. But I know that my`view is not typical of most secondary school chess organisers.
The Year 7s like the badges usually, until they realise the disdain with which the badge is held as the older players trudge forward to collect it...

They thought the pencils were a little beneath them.

There was only one Sixth Former playing in the event this year (I discovered today), and he quickly disappeared after round 1 to go and do some work. (Playing two rounds per week.) He'll play just enough games to qualify, and no more, and probably sack a game or two to help others qualify.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 pm

John Upham wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: The best way is just to give them out at the end of the competition. Otherwise you get bugged on each and every week when, inevitably, the kids lose them...
The children love to wear the badges around the school out of chess club and its good for chess that the children do that.

A badge is the prize for amassing three points and UKCC uses the 3-2-1 (Dusty Bin) scoring system.

It is a pity (IMHO) there is no UKCC forum for UKCC coaches and teachers to share experiences and tips.

Perhaps we should start a dedicated one in this place?
I think that's quite a good idea John

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Neill Cooper wrote:At Wilson's many of the year 7s love to wear their badge but the year 10s put it in their blazer pocket, only to produce it when they win a gold spot. They all love the mascots. The sixth form do most of the administration for me. I think it all adds to the fun of the event, even for teenagers. But I know that my`view is not typical of most secondary school chess organisers.
The Year 7s like the badges usually, until they realise the disdain with which the badge is held as the older players trudge forward to collect it...

They thought the pencils were a little beneath them.

There was only one Sixth Former playing in the event this year (I discovered today), and he quickly disappeared after round 1 to go and do some work. (Playing two rounds per week.) He'll play just enough games to qualify, and no more, and probably sack a game or two to help others qualify.
I'm in the fortunate position of teaching at a selective boys grammar school. Over the years chess has become accepted by most pupils as being an OK activity. By making chess club fun I get 50 to 60 coming most lunchtimes to chess club (spread across 3 classrooms). UK Chess Challenge, including the freebies, is very much part of making chess club fun, including striving to qualify for the Megafinal (whether or not they then play).
That said, the chess ladder I run in the Autumn term is even more popular. It is a bit tricky with over 200 names, but we cope. I hope that this year one of the new sixth form chess players will write some software for me as their Computing A level project - at present the ladder is an Excel spread sheet.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 am

Neill Cooper wrote:I'm in the fortunate position of teaching at a selective boys grammar school. Over the years chess has become accepted by most pupils as being an OK activity. By making chess club fun I get 50 to 60 coming most lunchtimes to chess club (spread across 3 classrooms). UK Chess Challenge, including the freebies, is very much part of making chess club fun, including striving to qualify for the Megafinal (whether or not they then play).
That's a great turn out Neil. Let's hope it continues to go from strength to strength!
Neill Cooper wrote:That said, the chess ladder I run in the Autumn term is even more popular. It is a bit tricky with over 200 names, but we cope. I hope that this year one of the new sixth form chess players will write some software for me as their Computing A level project - at present the ladder is an Excel spread sheet.
A fantastic idea Neil and a great way to combine the chess activity with a work project for another subject!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Over 100 badges now handed out - even the year 11s are taking them! We are now in to the gold stickers phase. Round 4 is after half term when we start handing out mascots. Only later will I find out what they think of the pencils.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm

This week saw the first mascots going out.

Those who had "lost" their badges were asked to explain where they would put their gold spots should they earn any.

After half-term will see the first "Shaggy pencils" being distributed.

It is one huge roller coaster of a ride running UKCC!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Meanwhile, the UKCC at my school is already done and dusted, with all the prizes awarded. 8)