Should junior only events have a separate grading system?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Brian Valentine

Re: Should junior only events have a separate grading system

Post by Brian Valentine » Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Brian Valentine wrote: The ECF grading approach relies on a steady replacement of leavers. If a significant proportion of junior games were excluded this is likely to be inflationary as improvers will be sucking less points out of the system.
If the intention is to remove only games and players in exclusively junior events, how much impact does this really have? It removes the problem of zero or negative grades. With the feature of treating juniors as new players every season, are they still sucking points out of the system? Arguably the flat 10 points for every under 18 that used to be used in the 1970s and 1980s injected points. Or at least that was what was supposed in the late 1980s when it became established that the mean and median grades were increasing.
I don't have the information to prove my impression on the impact. The full list of games would be required. The flat 10 points is argued to be for improvement between the mid point of the latest rated period and the mid point of the next period.

I think we should be discussing a junior rating system in what it might achieve for junior chess. However I did just want to point out that there is a subsidiary issue that should be thought about before jumping into a rash solution.