European Youth Chess Championships 2013

National developments, strategies and ideas.
LawrenceCooper

Re: European Youth Chess Championships 2013

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Many thanks Jim. First win for England today: http://chess-results.com/tnr106049.aspx ... =30&wi=984

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:34 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Many thanks Jim. First win for England today: http://chess-results.com/tnr106049.aspx ... =30&wi=984
Akito drew in 32 moves so is on 2.5/3.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 pm

7 points from amongst the 8 players back in the team room so far :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:7 points from amongst the 8 players back in the team room so far :)
Fantastic :D

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:23 pm

13.5 from 16 so far, including 4 / 4 from the girls.

And now every team member is on the scoreboard. Fabulous! Let's hope this sets the tone for the rest of the tournament!

:D

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Great stuff, well done everybody!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:13.5 from 16 so far, including 4 / 4 from the girls.

And now every team member is on the scoreboard. Fabulous! Let's hope this sets the tone for the rest of the tournament!

:D
17.5/23 including 5/5 for the girls. Looking at the round 4 pairings we have Akito playing Ravi on 2.5/3 :|

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

I see this bit of the report on the ECF Junior web page site about the EYC "Unfortunately, it seems that several members of our delegation have now been adversely affected by the food and whilst some parents have joked about being a good way to “lose a few pounds” it is obviously unpleasant for those affected"

When we went to Montenegro for the Europeans i took one look at the food and knew straight away i would need to find some where else to eat which i did but of course this then adds to the cost of the trip as you have already paid for the food.In Croatia(again i had to found some where else to eat adding to the cost of the trip) I noticed that the then President of the BCF Gerry Walsh was staying and eating in a different hotel to us which served some lovely food.I went with Peter into the hotel Gerry was staying for a meal and it was wonderful but it cost quite a lot! I believe Gerry was in Croatia as a Delegate for those wondering why he was their and his mother was with him as well.
Of course people parents do not want to cause a fuss so say nothing but in my view something should be done about this if food is not up to a reasonable standard then maybe the party should be given help by the ECF to pay for better food? makes no difference to me now as we don't go but just an idea of mine to make it better for players parents coaches.I know some on here believe you just have to accept poor food but i do not take this view.

Lets hope none of the children fall ill.

So far the results are looking rather good and it was nice to see every one get something on the board.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am

Peter D Williams wrote:I see this bit of the report on the ECF Junior web page site about the EYC "Unfortunately, it seems that several members of our delegation have now been adversely affected by the food and whilst some parents have joked about being a good way to “lose a few pounds” it is obviously unpleasant for those affected"

When we went to Montenegro for the Europeans i took one look at the food and knew straight away i would need to find some where else to eat which i did but of course this then adds to the cost of the trip as you have already paid for the food.In Croatia(again i had to found some where else to eat adding to the cost of the trip) I noticed that the then President of the BCF Gerry Walsh was staying and eating in a different hotel to us which served some lovely food.I went with Peter into the hotel Gerry was staying for a meal and it was wonderful but it cost quite a lot! I believe Gerry was in Croatia as a Delegate for those wondering why he was their and his mother was with him as well.
Of course people parents do not want to cause a fuss so say nothing but in my view something should be done about this if food is not up to a reasonable standard then maybe the party should be given help by the ECF to pay for better food? makes no difference to me now as we don't go but just an idea of mine to make it better for players parents coaches.I know some on here believe you just have to accept poor food but i do not take this view.

Lets hope none of the children fall ill.

So far the results are looking rather good and it was nice to see every one get something on the board.
Cuisine at these events can be rather varied. At best the food is very repetitive, at worst players get ill, I suspect that nerves and the pressure of playing what, for many, is the biggest event of their lives also plays a part. Being a vegetarian can be a problem in some countries where there is very little choice in what they can eat. My worst experience was in Gaziantep where they went to the trouble of labelling one section of the restaurant as "acute diarrhoea diet". Sure enough, after sampling those delights, myself and others did acquire a somewhat dodgy stomach. That, combined with hole in the floor toilets for both boys and girls at the venue made the World Junior 2008 a trip that I'll never forget.

Fingers crossed that this tournament won't be quite that unpleasant.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Cuisine at these events can be rather varied. At best the food is very repetitive, at worst players get ill, I suspect that nerves and the pressure of playing what, for many, is the biggest event of their lives also plays a part. Being a vegetarian can be a problem in some countries where there is very little choice in what they can eat. My worst experience was in Gaziantep where they went to the trouble of labelling one section of the restaurant as "acute diarrhoea diet". Sure enough, after sampling those delights, myself and others did acquire a somewhat dodgy stomach. That, combined with hole in the floor toilets for both boys and girls at the venue made the World Junior 2008 a trip that I'll never forget.

Maybe if you become ECF Junior Director( for what its wroth we believe you be a very good ECF junior director i hope by us saying that it does not hinder you from winning :wink: ) you can see if any thing can be done by the ECF to improve the food situation or at the very least parents should warned before going on these types of trips about the food problem.I am not a fussy eater and will eat most types of food but i do expect it to be served hot and to be of a reasonable standard and with some sort of choice for each meal after all one is paying for it. i just added that in case any one thought we where fussy eaters.Not that it makes any difference to us but it was something that i believe needs attention by some one with in the ECF.I know the coaches at these type of events and some parent do not want to say anything to negative about the food or hotel as there believe their may not be invited again by the ECF to go as a coach or a player but i can as i do not want anything from the ECF.

If players parents chess coaches are falling ill because of the food then chess play will be affected and we want the juniors to get as many points as possible so sorting out the food is very important in my view.

Any way the results so far are looking good fingers crossed no player falls ill due to the food.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

Peter D Williams wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:

Maybe if you become ECF Junior Director( for what its wroth we believe you be a very good ECF junior director i hope by us saying that it does not hinder you from winning :wink: ) you can see if any thing can be done by the ECF to improve the food situation or at the very least parents should warned before going on these types of trips about the food problem.I am not a fussy eater and will eat most types of food but i do expect it to be served hot and to be of a reasonable standard and with some sort of choice for each meal after all one is paying for it. i just added that in case any one thought we where fussy eaters.Not that it makes any difference to us but it was something that i believe needs attention by some one with in the ECF.I know the coaches at these type of events and some parent do not want to say anything to negative about the food or hotel as there believe their may not be invited again by the ECF to go as a coach or a player but i can as i do not want anything from the ECF.

If players parents chess coaches are falling ill because of the food then chess play will be affected and we want the juniors to get as many points as possible so sorting out the food is very important in my view.

Any way the results so far are looking good fingers crossed no player falls ill due to the food.
Thanks for the compliment. I have to say though that the English junior set up does an awful lot to help with the comfort and welfare of our players, parents and coaches whilst away. In most events you are obliged to stay at the official hotels and the only real choice is to either eat the food (which is included in the cost of the hotel) or to eat out. I do think that constructive criticism is welcomed though and I do tend to contribute in that area myself :oops:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:36 pm

not such a good day so far. 16 back in the team room so far and a cumulative score of 5 points. Live boards showing Akito - Ravi as a draw but we await their return.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:26 pm

I think Rxb2 is winning for black, but there is scope to go wrong if short of time and not 100% clear.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 pm

final team score today was 8 points from a possible 22. Akito and Ravi drew, apparently Bxb2 wasn't played in the game - seems to have appeared on the live board erroneously after the draw was agreed.

Round 4 results and (at the time of posting) provisional round 5 draw available at http://chess-results.com/tnr106045.aspx ... =30&wi=984

Subject to the draw not being changed before midnight local time, no intra-team pairings I am pleased to say. Ravi will be on the live boards again. Round 5 is the last before the rest day.